NCL reversing course bringing back the E-Muster.

According to The Points Guy NCL will reverse course and revert back to the e-must drill after having received considerable criticism and complaints from many of their guest.  In January NCL abruptly reverted back to the in-person drill citing safety reasons and believing the in-person drill was more effective than the e-muster.  However many of their guest including most of NCL's most loyal guest made their displeasure known and now the company will reverse course and bring back the e-muster.  Beginning April 1st all NCL cruises will revert back to the e-muster to the delight of many of their customers.

Neither Royal or Carnival followed NCL in eliminating the e-muster and according to The Points Guy there is no word on whether Disney will change course and bring back their e-must drill as well.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/norwegian-cruise-line-muster-drill-change/

I could be wrong, but I thought I had read that any cruise lines that were using E-muster were having to pay Royal Caribbean a royalty, since RC had patented the process.  I also read that this is why NCL had gone back to the manual muster.  Maybe they got so much blow-back that they decided to bite the bullet and pay the royalty ?

4 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I could be wrong, but I thought I had read that any cruise lines that were using E-muster were having to pay Royal Caribbean a royalty, since RC had patented the process.  I also read that this is why NCL had gone back to the manual muster.  Maybe they got so much blow-back that they decided to bite the bullet and pay the royalty ?

More nickle and dime profit for my favorite cruise line.

Not sure the process can be patented, I'm no lawyer, they may have copy righted the term emuster.

Either way with NCL rolli g back it is good news for this process over the old way

We have a fair amount of status on Norwegian, and i keep on top of their happenings from time to time (good riddance FDR).

I have no doubt that they cringe at paying a licensing fee to another cruise line. (I'm wondering if they start calling it Virtual Muster to get around the eMuster copywrite? What do i know?)

I was also reading that they claimed the eMuster was tying up more personnel than the in-person muster. I've not done an eMuster yet, so I'm trying to understand that argument.

Clearly their initial stance that it was "safer" for the guests was utter nonsense and they got called out on it on surveys, especiallywith the Coast Guard being ok with eMuster.

I can tell you that eMuster v. NCL going back to traditional was one huge factor in our booking or next 3 cruises on Royal v. NCL. Musters on any NCL ship are one huge [mess]. No ship is designed for every single pax to be out of their staterooms at the same exact time and all trying to get to different places at once after the drill was over. Elevators, stairways, and bars were ALWAYS mobbed immediately following. So the drill wasn't a simple 30 minute drill. Counting in the residual impact, it turned into a 75-minute PITA.

Edited by SpeedNoodles
removed feigned profanity

On 3/22/2023 at 4:50 PM, SweetPea said:

I was also reading that they claimed the eMuster was tying up more personnel than the in-person muster. I've not done an eMuster yet, so I'm trying to understand that argument.

This makes sense if you think about it.  Instead of having some crew members tied up for the 30-60 minutes to check people in and perform the muster drill, the eMuster is tying up some crew members for many hours as they stand around, waiting for passengers to show up. 

We sailed on NCL in Jan (never again) and had to do the old muster procedure.  It sucked, especially on a ship with such horrible traffic flow like the Breakaway has.  I'm glad for those who sail on NCL in the future.  Starting a cruise off with that kind of cluster really starts things off on a bad foot.

1 hour ago, FireFishII said:

This makes sense if you think about it.  Instead of having some crew members tied up for the 30-60 minutes to check people in and perform the muster drill, the eMuster is tying up some crew members for many hours as they stand around, waiting for passengers to show up. 

But it is generally the show performers, who don't have that many other duties