Just wondering.... can I take?

Hey all,

Heading off in a weekon the Ovation of the Seas on a 9 night South Pacific cruise.

I work in robotics and have a pet robot dog that I was thinking of taking along.  It would be fun to get some footage of him on Mystery Island, or in Nouméa or something.  I've recently taken him to the snow and on a few interstate trips and it has been fun.

He isn't very big, about 20kg, not a drone (doesn't fly, etc).  This is a video of what he is like 

Would RoyalC have any issues with me bringing him as luggage (he comes in his own case). They say drones are allowed but that you just can only fly them where you are allowed. 

Thoughts anyone?

It's not specifically mentioned as prohibited, but that's likely because it's such a new category of tech.

Using it onboard would be the issue. If all you want to do is use it in port, that may help your cause if security asks you about it when boarding.

19 minutes ago, Matt said:

It's not specifically mentioned as prohibited, but that's likely because it's such a new category of tech.

Using it onboard would be the issue. If all you want to do is use it in port, that may help your cause if security asks you about it when boarding.

What do you think would be the issues relating to using it onboard? It is pretty harmless, and less so compared to anyone in wheelchairs, mobility scooters, etc. I obviously wouldn't use it in inappropriate places.

If I wanted to get pre-clearance to take the robot dog, how would I ask someone?

I think your issue is that the decision will ultimately be made at the port and you have no idea whether or not they're going to let you, even if you were to call RC ahead of time. It seems like one of those things where you are going to show up with it and the person at the port is ultimately going to be the one to make the decision regardless of anything anyone will tell you before that moment. And there doesn't seem to be precedent for it so it could go either way. So unless you're prepared to show up and not be able to bring it, I wouldn't.  

Yup. I see your point.

At what point in the check-in process do they check that sort of thing? I can have my assistant with me and if they say no, she can take it back to the office, but if it is on the other side of customs, then it could be problematic if they won't let it on board, but I can't get it back through customs.

Okay..... I hope me asking questions of a cutting edge nature isn't pushing my luck here.

I have a spare Starlink dish.  Can I take my own dish? I have an outside cabin with no obstructions. I'm pretty sure it would work.  The ships themselves are all now powered by Starlink, but the pricing is just stupid. My monthly cost is half the price of 9 days of 1 device. 

I have a suitcase for it, so it won't be an issue... and we do have 90kg each... any thoughts?

Here is a question and its answer may help @Skeeve Stevens make a decision:

If @Skeeve Stevens brings his robo dog and his StarLink dish on board and it ends up in the 'Naughty' room, would RCL just keep those items until the end of the cruise?  This way, at least the dog and dish would be stored in a safe location and @Skeeve Stevens can pick them up when he exits. The only pain would be carrying both items all the way to the cruise ship and not be allowed to use them.   

11 hours ago, Skeeve Stevens said:

I have a spare Starlink dish.  Can I take my own dish? I have an outside cabin with no obstructions. I'm pretty sure it would work.

Not sure the answer, but I'm curious; how large is the Starlink dish?

At this rate you might as well ask if you can bring along your own private dingy to take out in ports. lol  Joking aside, both items just seem like a huge hassle to me, more so the dog. But either of them seem like potential "suspicious" items for someone on mere vacation. Robotic animals used in all sorts of well shall we say non normal uses, then a dish that could be seen as spy tech which most governments wouldn't be too keen on.