Partially Chartered Cruise

It looks like my February 25, 2024 sailing on Wonder has been partially chartered by a Steelers fan group. From the information I have seen the group is typically over 1000 people. Has anyone cruised with this group or one this large? How did it go? Where many venues closed for private functions?

Not with a team fan group, but we did sail with huge number of Monat reps (if you aren't familiar, think Avon or MaryKay type).  Their group was about 90% young female, and because of that, the few single young men on the cruise were seriously outnumbered.  

No 'regular' cruisers could get near the pub for the entire sailing.  We found it all incredibly annoying - each girl trying to be prettier than the others, many wearing ridiculously high shoes that they couldn't walk in, most too tipsy and constant hair flicking.  LOL

I now google our sail dates and pray I don't ever board with a large/charter group again.

16 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

At least they're not fans of the Iggles. THAT crowd...

Ayyyy....Eagles fan here. We were on Oasis this past January and embarkation day was the NFC Championship game... the whole boardwalk\playmakers area and the aqua theater seating area was all full of Eagles fans (a few 49ers fans too) and it was a blast!! Nothing like starting the cruise with a trip to the super bowl! We had a boardwalk balcony room and our 11 yr old loved starting the EAGLES chant from up there down to the crowd!   

1 hour ago, Blulady said:

Not with a team fan group, but we did sail with huge number of Monat reps (if you aren't familiar, think Avon or MaryKay type).  Their group was about 90% young female, and because of that, the few single young men on the cruise were seriously outnumbered.  

No 'regular' cruisers could get near the pub for the entire sailing.  We found it all incredibly annoying - each girl trying to be prettier than the others, many wearing ridiculously high shoes that they couldn't walk in, most too tipsy and constant hair flicking.  LOL

I now google our sail dates and pray I don't ever board with a large/charter group again.

Oh man...that sounds "terrible". When is this again, I just want to make sure I don't ummm accidently...yeah, accidently...  book that week. 

(this is a joke, I can see it being an actual pain in the ass) 

5 hours ago, ScottD said:

Ayyyy....Eagles fan here. We were on Oasis this past January and embarkation day was the NFC Championship game... the whole boardwalk\playmakers area and the aqua theater seating area was all full of Eagles fans (a few 49ers fans too) and it was a blast!! Nothing like starting the cruise with a trip to the super bowl! We had a boardwalk balcony room and our 11 yr old loved starting the EAGLES chant from up there down to the crowd!   

Oh man...that sounds "terrible". When is this again, I just want to make sure I don't ummm accidently...yeah, accidently...  book that week. 

(this is a joke, I can see it being an actual pain in the ass) 

LOL

There were SO many venues that no one could get near.  It felt like they took over everything.  One of the worst things though was the elevators.  Imagine being in that little box with about 6-8 young ladies all wearing too much perfume and all different scents. 

🙂

27 minutes ago, Blulady said:

LOL

There were SO many venues that no one could get near.  It felt like they took over everything.  One of the worst things though was the elevators.  Imagine being in that little box with about 6-8 young ladies all wearing too much perfume and all different scents. 

🙂

Another reason to take the stairs.

A few years back, I was on a cruise with a New England Patriots Fan group.  The activities for the group--autograph/photo sessions, speakers, etc. never really affected me in any way.  I'd meet various people who were in the group and they all seemed like many other "ordinary" cruisers for the most part--except they always seemed to be wearing team jerseys and such.

But, the best part was that, early in the cruise, I found myself at one of the bars late night sitting next to one of the retired Patriot players...and we started talking...and found out we had a few friends in common (I'm a big college football fan/UCLA alum and we've had players and former coaches move on to the NFL...and I know a few of them...and some had played with this guy or coached him).  We ended up hitting that bar together most of the late nights.  Heck of a nice guy, BTW. He told me he had obligations to the group, but, when those were done, he just wanted to kick back and relax and enjoy himself like every other cruiser.

The fan group, BTW, was far less of a problem than some other groups I've found on cruises...because, other than the group activities, they had no great connection to one another.  We've been on cruises with other large groups where everyone in the group knew each other or had some strong connection (employee groups, religious groups, LGBTQ+ groups) and those sorts of groups would often "take over" large sections of the ship or specific activities--like a pool/jacuzzi area or karaoke--to the exclusion of those not in the group, whether intended or not it was the de facto result of a large connected group.  The Team Fan group was NOT like that at all.

13 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

A few years back, I was on a cruise with a New England Patriots Fan group.  The activities for the group--autograph/photo sessions, speakers, etc. never really affected me in any way.  I'd meet various people who were in the group and they all seemed like many other "ordinary" cruisers for the most part--except they always seemed to be wearing team jerseys and such.

But, the best part was that, early in the cruise, I found myself at one of the bars late night sitting next to one of the retired Patriot players...and we started talking...and found out we had a few friends in common (I'm a big college football fan/UCLA alum and we've had players and former coaches move on to the NFL...and I know a few of them...and some had played with this guy or coached him).  We ended up hitting that bar together most of the late nights.  Heck of a nice guy, BTW. He told me he had obligations to the group, but, when those were done, he just wanted to kick back and relax and enjoy himself like every other cruiser.

The fan group, BTW, was far less of a problem than some other groups I've found on cruises...because, other than the group activities, they had no great connection to one another.  We've been on cruises with other large groups where everyone in the group knew each other or had some strong connection (employee groups, religious groups, LGBTQ+ groups) and those sorts of groups would often "take over" large sections of the ship or specific activities--like a pool/jacuzzi area or karaoke--to the exclusion of those not in the group, whether intended or not it was the de facto result of a large connected group.  The Team Fan group was NOT like that at all.

We New England sports fans are pretty hard core when it comes to our pro teams.  As long as your not wearing Yankees, Jets, Canadiens or Lakers gear, we'll be happy to chat you up.  Like any fan base, there will be idiots, but we're mostly proud of our teams accomplishments this century (12 Championships, many more finals/Super Bowl appearances).  Those trophies came after years of sports misery, so we savor all the success that has come since (we'll hopefully be adding a Stanley Cup to the trophy case this year).