Symphony makes new world record

In peacetime maybe.

In 1943 the Queen Mary had 16,683 souls on board for a transatlantic crossing.  It remains the largest number of human beings ever carried on a vessel.  Several crossings were made by a couple of ships during the war that routinely had 15,000+ on board but the record is held by the QM.  

image.jpeg.fd905256a05b47c9ed0e569723dd47be.jpeg

7 hours ago, twangster said:

In peacetime maybe.

In 1943 the Queen Mary had 16,683 souls on board for a transatlantic crossing.  It remains the largest number of human beings ever carried on a vessel.  Several crossings were made by a couple of ships during the war that routinely had 15,000+ on board but the record is held by the QM.  

That's amazing and terrifying at the same time.  Can you imagine the living conditions on the QM during that voyage?

On 3/20/2023 at 2:50 AM, Pattycruise said:

7,604 people on a transatlantic…a new world record  
I wonder if they’ll put all our names in the record book!😂

I was wondering the same thing. I guess we can at least claim setting a record for “The Guiness Book of World Records “. Was actually a very pleasant trip without feeling at all too crowded. 

On 3/19/2023 at 10:41 PM, twangster said:

In peacetime maybe.

The article I read had an update

Note: This article has been updated to reflected the record was set with the most amount of paying guests aboard combined with crew. The Queen Mary crossed with over 16,683 aboard during World War II.

8 hours ago, Biaggio said:

Having taking the transatlantic on the symphony it never seemed crowded, except at times in the Windjammer. Dining room food was terrible and that drive many to the Windjammer. 

We had inconsistent food at our table of 9, identical plates, one warm, 1 hot, 1 barely warm.  Identical dishes, one over salted-the next fine. The serving of 1 tablespoon of cole  slaw with the fish and chips (no malt vinegar) led to laughter amongst the table and they quickly brought out a second serving of 1 tablespoon to all.  Unfortunately the cold slaw was served warm…so it wasn’t good anyway.  
The head waiter brought the chef out to our table-talk about awkward!!   Our server had a breakdown due to having 5’s the week before and all the complaints this sailing (literally broke down crying).  He was absent with a “foot injury” the final 3 nights.  Our assistant waiter received remedial training near the end (I felt she was fine).  The music BLARING during the caribbean night and the second  formal night was ridiculous on Deck 3-speaker location-it was like sitting next to the speaker at a rock concert-we all had to cover our ears from the assault.    I went to windjammer after sending back gross chicken Marsala, over salted lobster and the music fiasco -I can’t stand LOUD-and the choices were not inspiring to me-burgers/dogs or Indian food.

It was so bad in the dining room the head water was sending chocolate covered strawberries and chocolates to our cabins as well as pouring free champagne the last 3 nights. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2023 at 1:03 PM, Pattycruise said:

We had inconsistent food at our table of 9, identical plates, one warm, 1 hot, 1 barely warm.  Identical dishes, one over salted-the next fine. The serving of 1 tablespoon of cole  slaw with the fish and chips (no malt vinegar) led to laughter amongst the table and they quickly brought out a second serving of 1 tablespoon to all.  Unfortunately the cold slaw was served warm…so it wasn’t good anyway.  
The head waiter brought the chef out to our table-talk about awkward!!   Our server had a breakdown due to having 5’s the week before and all the complaints this sailing (literally broke down crying).  He was absent with a “foot injury” the final 3 nights.  Our assistant waiter received remedial training near the end (I felt she was fine).  The music BLARING during the caribbean night and the second  formal night was ridiculous on Deck 3-speaker location-it was like sitting next to the speaker at a rock concert-we all had to cover our ears from the assault.    I went to windjammer after sending back gross chicken Marsala, over salted lobster and the music fiasco -I can’t stand LOUD-and the choices were not inspiring to me-burgers/dogs or Indian food.

It was so bad in the dining room the head water was sending chocolate covered strawberries and chocolates to our cabins as well as pouring free champagne the last 3 nights. 

"Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how'd you like the show?"