Always consistently inconsistent ...

As we all know "consistently inconsistent" has to be the unofficial motto of RCI.

Earlier this week I got around to having my TA cancel the block of 8 reservations that I had for this Thanksgiving on Freedom ... So ... one call from one person to one rep at RCI .... all the charges on the same credit card.

Checked my credit card yesterday ... multiple line items adding up to the total for 1 cabin ... no sign of the other 7 ....

Yesterday I authorized a deposit for 41 cabins ... anyone want to guess how fast that hit my card ?

Getting the instant charge but the slow refund doesn't surprise me, all merchants do that ... just trying to figure out how 1 of the 8 refunds got processed :)

I think this is an internal bookkeeping/accounting issue.  When it is refunded, it is piecemeal because some of it was noncommisionable, some of it was port fees/taxes, and other parts were just plain cruise fare.  As a result, as they refund the money, it comes back in pieces.

It would be nice if it was a simpler process, but I've always received my refunds within a couple of weeks.

Some more trickled in overnight ... however, these did not come in piecemeal ... in fact one of them is for $1000 which is more than any of the deposits I put down .... but does look like 2 of the $500 deposits added together :)

Will leave it for another week or so and then see if they add up to the right total !

FYI, not upset, just amusing to see how messed up the process is.

15 hours ago, Matt said:

In this case, I feel like it's more a product of the banking system and how merchants provide refunds.  You are right it's silly how quickly they charge you, but how long it takes to give it back.  Seems in 2017 it should be equally quick.

As a "merchant" who accepts credit cards (and the unfortunate sucker who got stuck with processing the refunds) I can by the way confirm that the refund process (at least through Bank of America) is essentially instant. I have literally had clients on the phone with me as I pushed the refund button who commented that they could now see the pending refund on their credit card website.

Historically it might have been float within the banks but nowadays i think its the merchant slow rolling the credit.