RC “We Pick Your Room”

I've done a few GTY cabins and never been disappointed.  Just be sure you're ok with a badly located cabin in exchange for a good price. 

Oh! And something else to consider...many people that would never consider a gty cabin will gladly pay for a royal up upgrade, which is effectively a gty cabin of a higher category.  Go figure!

38 minutes ago, SewerUrchin43 said:

Hi again,  I’m trying to book our second cruise and wondered about everyone’s experience that tried RC picking your room instead of paying extra and picking it yourselves like I did on our first cruise last year. 

As always, Thank You in advance

First I have to ask what category did you have in mind?

21 minutes ago, SewerUrchin43 said:

Mostly I’ve read about having “ obstructed views” from the balcony. My wife loves sitting on the balcony and I just want the best views for her. 

I love this! You want to make sure your wife enjoys the views. This is a very caring gesture and TBH I would look at the deck plans and choose the cabin you feel will be enjoyed the most. Then watch for price drops, promotions etc. Time is so precious, we can't get it back. Sail your sailing with the utmost joy for the both of you, Happy Cruising!!

In addition to a potentially obstructed view and poor cabin location, you must also be aware that you might be given a connecting room.  2 potential problems with connecting rooms 1) they can be noisy if the adjoining family is noisy and 2) you would almost certainly be given a chair vs a couch, since the available wall space is reduced due to the connecting door.

40 minutes ago, Jill said:

I wouldn’t book GTY balcony on Quantum class ship. You’ll likely end up on Deck 6 with a lifeboat right off your balcony 

I've found the opposite to be true.  

Quantum class has the largest percentage of balcony cabins of any ship class.  Often the cheaper obstructed deck 6 balcony cabins are already picked by folks seeking to save money on a balcony cabin.  The more expensive 2D and 4D balcony cabins are often available because they cost more.  The balcony cabins that can hold more than 2 guests are also often available since these cost even more.  Connecting balcony cabins on this class have the connecting door near the cabin door which minimizes the disadvantage of ending up in a connecting balcony cabin.  So they too are a pleasant result of a GTY booking.  

The primary disadvantage to a GTY booking on Quantum class would be ending up near the aft.  That can make for a long walk to the elevator lobby.  Personally I don't mind the walk as it helps to get my step count up and I don't mind walking.  The cabins themselves are no different so if you don't mind a few extra steps then a GTY booking on Quantum class is generally a safe bet in my experience.   

4 hours ago, SewerUrchin43 said:

Mostly I’ve read about having “ obstructed views” from the balcony. My wife loves sitting on the balcony and I just want the best views for her. 

We also book the "obstructed view balcony " and the one room had a small pole very much not in our way and another one had the tops of lifeboats.  The lifeboats were slightly below the floor of the deck so to us it didn't effect the view at all.  

On my recent cruise on Ovation, we booked a GTY Interior where we let Royal pick the location. It ended up being a Connecting Interior, but it wasn't too bad because the family next door were an older couple so they weren't really that loud/noisy. We were near the aft of the ship, but that was fine cause I don't mind walking, it helps me keep active during the day. Some people prefer knowing the location of their cabin beforehand though I guess.