Cruise ship hangover

Being the day after St. Patty's Day, many of you might be hungover like I am.  I've been laying around surfing the interwebs and it got me thinking about what everyone likes to do when you're hungover on a cruise.  Mine is usually on that first sea day.  I'm usually 60% tired and 40% hungover so taking a nap works the best for me.  In the past I would down a couple Liquid IVs and Excedrin, then head to a hot tub or take a nap on the pool deck.  I usually feel better around 1, so then I go find some food and go back to drinking.  

Breakfast, coffee, and fresh air.

With that said, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. From Mayo Clinic: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hangovers/symptoms-causes/syc-20373012

Three large takeaways which people can easily incorporate shipside without much thought:

• Don't drink on an empty stomach. Eat frequently. 
  • Drink water frequently while indulging. 
  • Partake in your alcoholic beverages slowly. Savor the drink instead of slamming it back. Mayo recommends no more than one an hour.

My suggestion is to also add in a rehydration beverage to sip on between boozy liberations, if you're really going at it, because you're going to be urinating more, which means losing salts quicker, which will contribute to dehydration and more intense hangovers. Liquid IV is popular, though I skip these sorts of flavored powders and bring WHO formula ORS to mix with water aboard.

I don't drink much any more due to a medical condition, but when we were younger, I remember my DH who works in chemistry saying to eat a greasy meal before or when you start drinking (not that it helps for a hangover, but maybe for next time, for prevention). There is apparently a chemical reaction between the grease and the alcohol that helps it not hit so hard... This is NOT recommended for the next day and would probably make it worse.

1 hour ago, jbrinkm said:

I don't drink much any more due to a medical condition, but when we were younger, I remember my DH who works in chemistry saying to eat a greasy meal before or when you start drinking (not that it helps for a hangover, but maybe for next time, for prevention). There is apparently a chemical reaction between the grease and the alcohol that helps it not hit so hard... This is NOT recommended for the next day and would probably make it worse.

Hadn't heard this before, but apparently it's not a chemical reaction between the fats and alcohol, it's the fat sticking to the stomach lining slowing the absorption of alcohol into the body. 

"If you eat before ingesting alcohol, your body will thank you later on. The fat in something like a greasy burger actually sticks to the stomach lining longer, which slows the absorption of alcohol into your bloodstream. In parts of the Mediterranean, swallowing a spoonful of olive oil is even a thing."

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/the-science-behind-why-drunk-food-eaten-before-getting-drunk

5 hours ago, SweetPea said:

Hubby and i are pleasant drunks and know our limits. That said, Cheers vitamins, electrolytes, and detox foot pads before bed.  I'm old and I'm never hungover ... 🤣 But if I *am* feeling a bit rough ... hair of the dog, baby. Hair of the dog....

I second "Cheers".  They are really effective.

14 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

No...as a former alcoholic (no...for real) the greasy food thing DOES work after...if you don't want to just pick up where you left off, a greasy breakfast or burger in the morning does help. I live in Philly and we have 24 hour cheesesteaks places, that was my go to after a long night of drinking! 

1 hour ago, TexanTwoStep said:

If RCI was smart, they would offer IV infusions on the ship.

I was extremely hungover one day and paid $100 for a "hangover cocktail infusion" with mostly water/electrolytes and I swear, I felt better than I did the day before.

Look for the b-series of treatments in the spa. Though Royal's asking $159 to $299 for the IVs on Allure.

From the company who's making the product: https://thebiostation.com/nutrient-iv-therapy/

35 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

Sorry, but drinking too much alcohol is irresponsible, regardless of what you do afterwards

I agree that drinking too much is irresponsible. Also, eating too much is irresponsible, spending more than one earns is irresponsible, and not regularly exercising is irresponsible. 

The average American is irresponsible. Is this a good thing in the long run? Probably not. Currently this is a relatively free county and we each take our own path in life.
What takes discretion is not passing judgement on others for their decisions. Hopefully the above irresponsible acts are not regular occurrences in one’s life and thus unlikely to lead to long term problems. 

3 hours ago, TexanTwoStep said:

If RCI was smart, they would offer IV infusions on the ship.

I was extremely hungover one day and paid $100 for a "hangover cocktail infusion" with mostly water/electrolytes and I swear, I felt better than I did the day before.

They DO have IV treatments in the spa! 

12 hours ago, ScottD said:

No...as a former alcoholic (no...for real) the greasy food thing DOES work after...if you don't want to just pick up where you left off, a greasy breakfast or burger in the morning does help. I live in Philly and we have 24 hour cheesesteaks places, that was my go to after a long night of drinking! 

Oh man lucky you, I live in Ireland and I’d be happy with a cheesesteak shop that was open for even just one hour 🤤

• Matt locked this topic