In Cabin Safe Size

I don't know the measurement but what we do is use 1 of our suitcases as our safe.  That is where we store his wallet, my purse and our money.  We have color copies of our passports and when we get off in port we carry them and leave the originals in the suitcase also.  I have read about who has access to the safe in the room and I trust our suitcase with a TSA lock more than using an in-room safe.

16 minutes ago, Montemy2419 said:

I don't know the measurement but what we do is use 1 of our suitcases as our safe.  That is where we store his wallet, my purse and our money.  We have color copies of our passports and when we get off in port we carry them and leave the originals in the suitcase also.  I have read about who has access to the safe in the room and I trust our suitcase with a TSA lock more than using an in-room safe.

good idea.  We have a suitcase with the same sort of lock.  I might just have to follow suit.  I didnt think of that 🙂 , Thank you

Cabin safes come in at least 2 sizes. I think most of the new ships safes will fit a tablet - a bit less then 10" x 6" , you may have to caddy corner it in. The older ship's safes are a bit larger. The one problem I see with a suitcase it is not secured to anything in the room. It could 'grow legs' and walk/roll out the door. May be bring some kind of bike chain lock to secure it to the bed?

It will also depend on the type of room you have in regard to safe sizes. I stayed in the 4BR Villa on Harmony and could fit my 15.6in Laptop in the safe in the master rooms. The same could be said for a 2BR GS on Allure. I stayed in balconies and interiors on a bunch of other ships and there was barely room for my kindle. Also, on my last two sailings this year the safe did not work, even though I told guest services and called cabin management. I started locking things in my luggage which I also put in the closets. 

the only way I've seen a safe opened on a ship with out the code (yes I have checked into a cabin where it was locked from the previous occupant - also had some sort of combo snafu right after I locked it and knew something was wrong) was for security to come up with you present, then you had to also sign their log, yes he checked my sea pass card.

On OA….the first 2 weeks we were in a Central Park balcony and had a very small safe….definitely not large enough for a laptop.  We moved to a GS for this leg and have a much larger safe.  Don’t know the dimensions but I feel confident that a standard laptop would fit.  @Ampurp85 is correct.  It depends on your cabin category.

15 hours ago, CrznTxn said:

Almost all the safes we have in our balcony rooms will not fit a tablet. It seems when they upgrade the rooms the safes tend to shrink. The compartment where they sit did not change, only the size of the safe.

I was thinking from what I have watched and read that the safes were more for smaller items.  Thanks for the information.

Isn't this a little like the woman who used a stolen credit card on a recent cruise and was arrested on debarkation.  The room attendant is on a set contract, so going nowhere for the next few months.  Probably has serviced many rooms in the past and is still working so I assume that nothing was stolen prior to my sailing or else (again I assume) that RCL would have already terminated their employment.  Can't really get off of a moving ship. Again, I assume that RCL has the right to search their quarters. So not sure what the incentive to steal a $1K-$2K laptop/tablet and risk, job, being arrested or worse.

I guess that one might be afraid of a guest somehow getting into the cabin but not sure how that would happen. Climb over the railing from a balcony room (security cameras would likely catch that).

Cash, coins, passport, jewelry, and my wallet go into the safe.  Laptop goes into my backpack bag and it is zipped shut.