What to do in LA before cruise?

Early June I'm sailing out of LA..  Day before cruise I'll be in at noon or so and have the day to blow, then the day after the cruise I don't fly until 10pm.  Any suggestions on what to do near the port? My hotel before the cruise is practically on the water by the port. I've never been to CA at all before.

I don't get the In and Out burger hype, they are real basic to me.

If you can get the Hop on/Hop off tour after the cruise it will be a great way to kill some time and see the sights. A quick search of things around your hotel should also open up possibilities. 

49 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I don't get the In and Out burger hype, they are real basic to me.

I grew up in SoCal so its a nostalgic spot for me...andyeah the complaint here is its nothing special but they do use quality fresh ingredients and its made to order so IMHO its better than traditional fast food.

17 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

(Proven Fact* - best order is a double double, protein style, mustard grilled, which grilled onions and chopped chilies, fries light well). 

I get the triple double (3 patties and 2 cheese) with grilled onions, extra toasted bun and no lettuce - in my younger days I would also get animal style fries but I cant eat that much anymore...

Would personally not recommend In N Out as tourist destination.   Rather: trip over to Catalina Island, Dinner boat cruise,  tour Queen Mary, aquarium, hop on bus tours, go to Santa Monica pier,  Tour battleship USS Iowa, Ft MacArthur Museum,  or Trolley.

Other than In and Out Burger, here's what I'd recommend:

USS Iowa (it's right by Navigator in the Port of Los Angeles)
Long Beach pier 
Aquarium of the Pacific (Long Beach)
Hollywood (specifically Chinese Theater and the Walk of Fame area)
any beach

If you're a plane enthusiast, the Manhattan Beach pier area is really great because it's behind the runways at LAX. You get to see all the giant planes taking off overhead. Super cool to see.

I don't know if you're flying from LAX or Long Beach, but the Santa Monica pier is awesome too; I just don't recommend doing it with luggage in tow!

9 hours ago, Wheeler825 said:

Early June I'm sailing out of LA..  Day before cruise I'll be in at noon or so and have the day to blow, then the day after the cruise I don't fly until 10pm.  Any suggestions on what to do near the port? My hotel before the cruise is practically on the water by the port. I've never been to CA at all before.

First, there is PLENTY to see...But YOUR problem will be logistical.  First, I hope your hotel is either the Crowne Plaza or the Doubletree--the ONLY two hotels in San Pedro I'd endorse.  I've stayed in both and either is a good choice for a short stay before or after a cruise.  I also take it that you are FLYING to get here...so, LAX? (There are other airports).  Okay, the logistics:

San Pedro is 20 miles (south) from LAX...and you likely will have a bit of luggage.  IF you were renting a car (I doubt you are because that could be a hassle as well), then you could go anywhere and just leave your luggage in the car.  IF you had a car, I'd recommend NOT heading straight to the port but to spend the afternoon in Venice Beach/Santa Monica--a little north of LAX--especially in June.  Or do that on the day you fly out.

However, with luggage, you are going to want to head straight to your hotel.  Even with a noon arrival, by the time you get your luggage, find your ground transportaton, get to San Pedro and check into your hotel, your remaining day is fairly short.  I would check in, then stay in the harbor area.  You could just hangfout in Sn Pedro--tour the USS Iowa...maybe the Maritime Museum... walk around town, have dinner.  A little more exciting option would be to get an Uber over to Long Beach (other side of the harbor--about 6-8 miles away)...Visit the Queen Mary and the Aquarium of the Pacific, and walk around the touristy shopping centers--the Pike and Shoreline Village...then eat dinner in that arwea--LOTS of choices...then Uber back to San Pedro after dinner.  Or, if the many chain restaurants don't excite you, Uber back to San Pedro for dinner (My favorite:  The San Pedro Brewing Co.--just half a block from the Crowne Plaza).

Upon your return, getting off the shiup...Contact Sunseeker Tours  https://sunseekertours.com/

They are the only major LA tour company that picks up AT THE PIER...and they are pretty good...They will hold your luggage on the bus, give you a pretty comprehensive tour of all of the sights of Los Angeles...and drop you off at LAX...Since you have never been to LA before, this may be your best overview.  

Do not bother with the HOHO bus here.  They do not pick up in the harbor area and, because of the size of the area and complexity of routes, it's hard to really use it to your advantage.  

Good luck and have fun.

Oh...also, I LOVE In 'n' Out...I grew up with them...BUT there are so many other places to eat in LA that youy will find much more worthwhile.  It you are ever here for a much longer trip and just want a fast food burger for lunch, they are a danged good fast food burger...

2 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

First, there is PLENTY to see...But YOUR problem will be logistical.  First, I hope your hotel is either the Crowne Plaza or the Doubletree--the ONLY two hotels in San Pedro I'd endorse.  I've stayed in both and either is a good choice for a short stay before or after a cruise.  I also take it that you are FLYING to get here...so, LAX? (There are other airports).  Okay, the logistics:

San Pedro is 20 miles (south) from LAX...and you likely will have a bit of luggage.  IF you were renting a car (I doubt you are because that could be a hassle as well), then you could go anywhere and just leave your luggage in the car.  IF you had a car, I'd recommend NOT heading straight to the port but to spend the afternoon in Venice Beach/Santa Monica--a little north of LAX--especially in June.  Or do that on the day you fly out.

However, with luggage, you are going to want to head straight to your hotel.  Even with a noon arrival, by the time you get your luggage, find your ground transportaton, get to San Pedro and check into your hotel, your remaining day is fairly short.  I would check in, then stay in the harbor area.  You could just hangfout in Sn Pedro--tour the USS Iowa...maybe the Maritime Museum... walk around town, have dinner.  A little more exciting option would be to get an Uber over to Long Beach (other side of the harbor--about 6-8 miles away)...Visit the Queen Mary and the Aquarium of the Pacific, and walk around the touristy shopping centers--the Pike and Shoreline Village...then eat dinner in that arwea--LOTS of choices...then Uber back to San Pedro after dinner.  Or, if the many chain restaurants don't excite you, Uber back to San Pedro for dinner (My favorite:  The San Pedro Brewing Co.--just half a block from the Crowne Plaza).

Upon your return, getting off the shiup...Contact Sunseeker Tours  https://sunseekertours.com/

They are the only major LA tour company that picks up AT THE PIER...and they are pretty good...They will hold your luggage on the bus, give you a pretty comprehensive tour of all of the sights of Los Angeles...and drop you off at LAX...Since you have never been to LA before, this may be your best overview.  

Do not bother with the HOHO bus here.  They do not pick up in the harbor area and, because of the size of the area and complexity of routes, it's hard to really use it to your advantage.  

Good luck and have fun.

Oh...also, I LOVE In 'n' Out...I grew up with them...BUT there are so many other places to eat in LA that youy will find much more worthwhile.  It you are ever here for a much longer trip and just want a fast food burger for lunch, they are a danged good fast food burger...

Thanks for this.  We're staying at Crown Plaza and indeed flying into LAX.. Thanks for the input.  Sounds like I'll probably be A) Uber to the hotel, B) Going to the queen mary and then san pedro brewing

16 hours ago, Linda R said:

Would personally not recommend In N Out as tourist destination.   Rather: trip over to Catalina Island, Dinner boat cruise,  tour Queen Mary, aquarium, hop on bus tours, go to Santa Monica pier,  Tour battleship USS Iowa, Ft MacArthur Museum,  or Trolley.

That's all great, but have you ever had an 8x8 animal style?!?!