Towels

In all cases yes.  

The fleet is not 100% consistent, but on most ships you get as many as you want and they scan your seapass card.  You can swap out as many times as you want, and take them ashore no problem.  

At the end, you turn them in.  They scan your card again for the returns.  If you show to have not returned any, they will be billed to your account.  Always check to be sure they scan them back in and ask the attendant to verify you have zero outstanding.

1 hour ago, whitsmom said:

Do we have to sign out our towels for excursions or will they hand them out when you leave for the excursion?  They used to hand them out as we got off the ship but I haven't cruised in several years and I'm guessing that this has now changed.

This is a great example of the lack of consistency, not only between ships, but within a ship.

For example, last month on Navigator, at the pool deck they would scan your card once for every towel you wanted, but down at the gangway on deck 1 they were just handing them out like candy at all 4 port stops.  

19 hours ago, whitsmom said:

Do we have to sign out our towels for excursions or will they hand them out when you leave for the excursion?  They used to hand them out as we got off the ship but I haven't cruised in several years and I'm guessing that this has now changed.

Depends on the excursion. 

Often they do have towels available to pick up as you leave the ship, but I grab them from the pool deck just to be safe.  I'd hate to get to deck 1 and have to go all the way back up and return.

We are coming up on our first cruise (Eastern Caribbean).

I know a lot of folks fly-in before their cruise, but we live close enough to drive to the port, so baggage volume is not as much an issue for us. With that in mind, should we consider taking a couple of our own beach towels (easily recognizable), to use on chairs at pool or excursion? Not planning to be a chair hog, but I don't want to have to watch my chair every minute I'm in the pool or while snorkeling.

I too would be concerned about towels be "moved" or stolen by someone that "misplaced" their own towel. So do you ever see folks bring their own towels?

On 5/26/2017 at 2:45 PM, lollilb said:

What time can you pick towels up from on port days? Eg if we dock at 8am are we better grabbing towels the night before to be quick off the ship? 

You can get, exchange for fresh, and return towels up on the pool deck any time every day, from the minute you board.  No, they won't be manning the towel station at 3am, but definately from early early morning till extremely late.

That said, if i wanted to take a towel with me in the morning, I would have it in my room the evening before.  Odds are they will be available down at the gangway, but like was mentioned earlier, if for some reason they're not, its a long walk back up!