Let's take a poll on once a day cleaning!

My only issue with one a day is the beds that you can’t put away on your own. Like the ones that come down from the ceiling or wall. Is there a key? They’re not going to give it to me so I have to have that bed down until they come, and then they’re just going to leave it down for night time, so I’ve got a bed taking up room over the couch all day. This would bother me.

We have a room like this next month so I’ll be eager to see how it goes.

39 minutes ago, Bowen said:

My only issue with one a day is the beds that you can’t put away on your own. Like the ones that come down from the ceiling or wall. Is there a key? They’re not going to give it to me so I have to have that bed down until they come, and then they’re just going to leave it down for night time, so I’ve got a bed taking up room over the couch all day. This would bother me.

I hope that those rooms are serviced twice - once to put the bed back up and the second time to put the bed back down.  When the room is actually serviced - most likely one of those 2 times. I will be interested in hearing about your experience. 

Late
Dislike

But like I dislike it only because it was nice to have the room cleaned and turned down seemingly any time I left the stateroom for any particular length of time. I don't think it's necessary at all, but it was appreciated and I made sure I tipped my attendant accordingly for his attentiveness and effort.

Early

Dislike

I guess I’ll have to figure out some sort of clothes line I can string across the room to dry my towel for when I need to shower twice, like after a beach day.  Towel is not going to dry all bunched up on a hook. 

also going to be annoying when my ice is melted by the evening. 

and I’ll be joining team “dirty dishes in the hallway” now, instead of leaving them in the room. 

14 hours ago, FireFishII said:

I hope that those rooms are serviced twice - once to put the bed back up and the second time to put the bed back down.  When the room is actually serviced - most likely one of those 2 times. I will be interested in hearing about your experience. 

Yes... I was told they would still come in and set up\take down the sofa bed and pullman but will only clean\service the room one of those times. 

9 hours ago, karl_nj said:

Early

Dislike

I guess I’ll have to figure out some sort of clothes line I can string across the room to dry my towel for when I need to shower twice, like after a beach day.  Towel is not going to dry all bunched up on a hook. 

also going to be annoying when my ice is melted by the evening. 

I use shower line to dry clothes or towels when needed. I also hate melted ice since it takes us awhile to drink champagne provided by our agent. I will adjust, but I dislike the degradation in service. I see it as a way to keep fares reasonable despite inflation.

20 minutes ago, foxrunner said:

Not sure because we haven't tried it. We are going on Freedom in 30ish days and I'll let you know. My question is how will they clean the rooms if they are given more stateroom and the majority of people request early or late??

My guess is they will have x slots early and x slots late.  They will ask people as they meet them and once early or late reaches x people, all the rest will be told they have the other.

Is it just a cleaning or do they set the room for sleeping? You know, turn down service. Chocolates, night light and set up the bunk/sofa beds. Or has this never been a Royal thing?

EDIT: sounds like they will still do this. Then the question is do you want to make them visit you twice if you need the sleep setup? Then there's the tipping for this if they do visit twice since it's not the norm but then the number of the people in the cabin is already figured into the gratuities. Oh whatever, I'll just go with the flow. Do whatever you want Royal!

Early and dislike

Hubs usually comes back into room and works for a couple hours after breakfast.  It's nice to have it all serviced by then.  But I also love coming back in after our evening around the ship to a turned down bed, dim lights, and a bathroom cleaned up after our pre-dinner showers.  

As for not needing what you don't get at home - the whole point of a vacation is to be pampered!

Early/Late  doesn't matter to me.  What I have done is on Day 1 introduce my wife and myself to the Cabin Steward/ess and Emphasize that we are o.k. with THEM picking their schedule and to let them know that we have Prepaid Gratuities and will be o.k. with their choice.

We think that the prepaid gratuities cover basic room service for the Steward/ess and the behind the scenes employees in housekeeping.  We then determine if we feel our Steward/ess puts in a little extra effort  even if it is a cheerful good morning, how was your day, or you can just see the "Hustle" they put into their job.

That is when we give something extra to say "Thank you,  we noticed your efforts and appreciate you."

I also consider my Prepaid Gratuities as part of the cost of the cruise and understand why it is this way.  The amount we pay in "Gratuities" is not considered as income to RCL and is not a payroll expense thus RCL saves in Taxes by doing this instead of just removing these gratuities and rolling the cost into you Cruise fare.

On 3/14/2023 at 12:55 PM, fa-li said:

Early and dislike

Hubs usually comes back into room and works for a couple hours after breakfast.  It's nice to have it all serviced by then.  But I also love coming back in after our evening around the ship to a turned down bed, dim lights, and a bathroom cleaned up after our pre-dinner showers.  

As for not needing what you don't get at home - the whole point of a vacation is to be pampered!

Exactly!

Late

From the hotel travel I do for work, I am fine with the once a day, but on a ship we are in and out of the room a few times during the day, and we keep our room fairly picked up and organized, but I think with the late refresh would nice to have a clean and tidied space to come back to after dinner and night time activities, just so I don't have to do so much before we fall into bed..lol

Late

Neutral

I wouldn't mind having the room refreshed during the night time since during the day I would mess it up anyway. I usually take my showers in the morning so this shouldn't be an issue. If I need to dry my towels for whatever reason... I can hang them out to dry on the balcony.

Late

Dislike

I also don't feel like I need twice-daily "cleaning", but removing dishes, and refreshing towels and straightening the bed linens is what I've grown used to and appreciate, ESPECIALLY as a mom to two kids. They have gotten better with age, but I accept any and all help to keep the room picked up so there is less for me to do on vacation. This is one of the many reasons I prefer cruises for family vacations.