Anthem engine trouble- port canceled

So i just got an email from RC saying the engine on anthem is having issues and has to be run at reduced speed during my 7 day bahamas cruise from Bayonne leaving tomorrow.  They are canceling the port canaveral stop which leaves us with only 2 port days on a 7 night sailing. I know RC is allowed to  change anything, but 5 sea days seems nuts. 

Should i cancel?

4 hours ago, Potato10 said:

So i just got an email from RC saying the engine on anthem is having issues and has to be run at reduced speed during my 7 day bahamas cruise from Bayonne leaving tomorrow.  They are canceling the port canaveral stop which leaves us with only 2 port days on a 7 night sailing. I know RC is allowed to  change anything, but 5 sea days seems nuts. 

Should i cancel?

No, because you'll lose your money. Agree it's a bummer but at this stage you'll just have to make the best of it. 😕

Someone on Anthem posted this in a FB group - 

I spoke with Hotel Director Tony and he confirmed the engine fix was temporary. Enough to allow us to use the two sea days to get back to Bayonne on time. However…(it seems there’s always a late-surfacing ’however’) the temporary fix is not enough to bring the engine back to full operation for an extended time.
Parts have been ordered and will be picked up in Bayonne. Repairs will be made at sea on the way back south. 
Therefore, the ship’s speed will be reduced during that time and Port Canaveral will be skipped. Just not enough time going against the Gulf Stream.
Everyone on the cruise tomorrow should have gotten an email.

5 hours ago, Potato10 said:

Should i cancel?

Personally, I'd consider this a win.  The PC stop is late and short, which limits possible activities in a fairly lame port stop (in my opinion at least!) anyway.  You'll end up with more time to enjoy the ship and you should get you port fees and taxes refunded, so all positives in my book!

22 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Isn't this at least the second time Anthem is having engine issues causing it to slow and miss ports? Last time I thought it was so bad it missed ports for a bunch of cruises in a row? Am I think of the wrong ship? 

Yup. Affected us on our Canary Islands cruise back in September/October. We didn't lose any ports but they cut our time in most of them, some quite substantially. Claimed it was for "routine engine maintenance".

I was on Anthem last week (5th-12th).  Day 2 there was an announcement about the engine issue and PC was delayed by 1 hour and Nassau next day delayed by 1 hour.  Letters were placed in our rooms and everyone was given OBC in the value of 1 day cruise fare.

Next day, another announcement.  Because of some strong winds, we were delayed further and hit PC about 3 hours late.  We were still scheduled to be 1 hour late to Nassau.  Low and behold, we actually hit Nassau right on time to the original schedule so that hour was recouped.

My parents spend the winters in Cocoa Beach so we planned to spend the afternoon with them, but as PC was down to just a 2 hour total stop, we just had them meet us at Grills and we hung out.  They got to hug the Grandchildren and we were back onboard.

All in all, I was happy with the communication and I thought the compensation far outweighed the hardship.  Joff (Cruise Director) and his staff put together some additional activities for Day 3.

Anthem is a really great ship.  We had a lot of fun and are officially fans of the Quantum Class.