New to cruising

NSF

We are new to cruising. My family of 5 will be cruising this July. I'm wondering what is included for drinks without purchasing a beverage package? Also, are there formal nights on every cruise? If you don't want to participate in formal night, is there another option for a meal?

1 hour ago, NSF said:

I'm wondering what is included for drinks without purchasing a beverage package?

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/08/11/first-time-cruisers-what-drinks-are-included-your-royal-caribbean-cruise

1 hour ago, NSF said:

Also, are there formal nights on every cruise?

Yes

1 hour ago, NSF said:

f you don't want to participate in formal night, is there another option for a meal?

Yes, Windjammer buffet is open as well.

Keep in mind "formal" is not really formal at all. Formal night dress code only applies to Main Dining Room for dinner and it's not really enforced.

Don't let it scare you, but you always go to the Windjammer instead.

Expanding on what Matt said...

Formal Nights on every cruise: Yes, there is at least one formal night on every cruise. 3-5 night cruises have 1; 6-10 nights have 2; and 11+ have up to 4.  You can see what nights in particular are usually designated formal night and get some light tips on what to wear here:https://www.royalcaribbean.com/gbr/en/faq/questions/formal-dress-code-guideline?country=GBR

If you don't wanna do formal: As Matt said you can skip the Main Dining Room on formal nights and hit the buffet but there are also "smart casual" specialty restaurants (restaurants with an additional charge) like Izumi Sushi, Chops Grille, or Giovanni's Italian. Depending on the ship, you may also have more casual places like Solarium Bistro (free), El Loco Fresh (free), Playmakers (a la cart pricing), or Sabor (specialty dining). Trust us, there are many options if you don't feel like pulling out the sparkly wear.

But you can still go the MDR. You'll see just about all kinds of clothing. From Tuxes down to T-shirts. Though as long as you're nicely dressed you'll do fine. Hubby will wear a vest, tie, and long sleeve shirt and pants of course🤣. Suit jacket too bulky to fit in suitcase. I wear nice black pants and fancy blouse.

I have only ever been turned away on formal night once, and I wouldn’t even have gone in had I remembered it was formal night. Shorts, t-shirt, hoodie, they politely let me know that it wasn’t the right attire. It is pretty casual, just not that casual.

15 minutes ago, Bowen said:

I have only ever been turned away on formal night once, and I wouldn’t even have gone in had I remembered it was formal night. Shorts, t-shirt, hoodie, they politely let me know that it wasn’t the right attire. It is pretty casual, just not that casual.

Was this recently? 

My husband will not wear pants on a cruise…only shorts.  He has a few pairs of very nice shorts and he will wear a polo-type shirt.  Our last cruise I made him bring one pair of slacks and naturally he never wore them!  So now, according to him, they will not be placed into the suitcase!   I typically wear palazzo type pants on formal night with a nice top but nothing really formal about them.  We still dine in the MDR…no problem.