Beware of this excursion: Grand Tour of Panama

PG Cruiser

I booked this excursion in Colon because of its description on the Cruise Planner:

"Enjoy gliding along the historic Panama Canal on an exciting boat ride while learning the ins and outs of how this structural wonder operates, serving as a key channel for international trade. Cruise on the Chagres River to Gatun Lake, where a lush tropical paradise replete with exotic flora and fauna emerges. Watch as the waters of Gatun feed the Panama Canal locks system. Along the way, discover the culture of the Emberá people of Neopono Puru Island and take in a traditional tribal dance."

We were never on an exciting boat ride along the historic Panama Canal.  They only brought us to the Visitors Center to see the canal from afar.

We did go on a boat ride, but that was to visit the Emberá people of Neopono Puru Island, not to learn the ins and outs of how the Panama Canal operates.

They gave me a partial refund, $46.90 out of $169.00, when I complained about this at the Shore Excursions desk.  But that wasn't the point.  If they had an accurate description of this excursion, I wouldn't have booked it at all.   Even the visit to the Emberá people felt like a commercialized tour of a supposedly indigenous group of people.  That's another story in itself.

Just beware of this excursion.