Independence of the seas overbooked or really really weird glitch?

Over a month ago I booked 4 rooms in total for my friends and I on the RCL website. One room was a balcony guarantee, another was interior guarantee, and a pair of connecting rooms (2 per room) that I was able to choose. Flash forward to a few days ago when we were checking in, we noticed that there was never a 2nd connecting room and all 4 people were assigned the same room. We spoke with a Royal Caribbean representative that said the ship (due to sail on the 13th) was fully booked and that this was a weird situation that they have "never seen before". The only options offered to us was that they could TRY to find us a combined 4 person room or cancel/rebook the one connecting room that was left out. Obviously both options are less than ideal. I read about how several other ships have been overbooked recently and was wondering if this was one of those situations. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

This is one of the college party cruise sailings so I would assume the organizer booked a large number of rooms and then maybe Royal released some back into inventory.  Did you receive receive 4 confirmation numbers when you booked or just 3?  If just 3 then we have to assume there was a glitch and 4 rooms were never booked.  If you have 4 confirmation numbers then I'm sure Royal would do their best to accommodate you all.  If you never had 4 then I think you may have an issue.  One suggestion I have is to search college party cruise and contact the organizer to see if perhaps they have any cabins left in inventory.  

3 hours ago, recogneyes said:

This is one of the college party cruise sailings so I would assume the organizer booked a large number of rooms and then maybe Royal released some back into inventory.  Did you receive receive 4 confirmation numbers when you booked or just 3?  If just 3 then we have to assume there was a glitch and 4 rooms were never booked.  If you have 4 confirmation numbers then I'm sure Royal would do their best to accommodate you all.  If you never had 4 then I think you may have an issue.  One suggestion I have is to search college party cruise and contact the organizer to see if perhaps they have any cabins left in inventory.  

I had 4 confirmation numbers. Spoke with royal carribean and they were helpful with finding us an accommodation.