Just got off Wonder of the Seas today… Wow bands!

Just returning home today from our first cruise on the Wonder. They had wow bands available but they were not really advertising it well. We happen to be walking on deck 5 in the promenade near Boleros on embarkation day and saw a tiny little table tucked away in a corner with some crew employees selling them. I did see some people later on during the cruise going to guest services and purchasing them there also. 

Just off of Anthem and WOW bands were available onboard. After using one for the week, I'd recommend spending on a quality lanyard for your Seapass card instead. The concept is interesting, but needing to take it off to use at most locations due to lack of mobile readers and still needing the Seapass to get off the ship at for CocoCay, makes it less useful than it could be. 

Interestingly enough, the way (as far as I can tell) the band works is the address of the NFC chip inside is added to your personal ship account. Your ship account number isn't added to the band or Seapass card either. Unless my NFC reader isn't picking up the encoded data. This is a good security practice as someone would need to read your card or band, then duplicate that, instead of just needing to know your account number aboard.

On 3/5/2023 at 3:28 PM, Rackham said:

Just off of Anthem and WOW bands were available onboard. After using one for the week, I'd recommend spending on a quality lanyard for your Seapass card instead. The concept is interesting, but needing to take it off to use at most locations due to lack of mobile readers and still needing the Seapass to get off the ship at for CocoCay, makes it less useful than it could be. 

Interestingly enough, the way (as far as I can tell) the band works is the address of the NFC chip inside is added to your personal ship account. Your ship account number isn't added to the band or Seapass card either. Unless my NFC reader isn't picking up the encoded data. This is a good security practice as someone would need to read your card or band, then duplicate that, instead of just needing to know your account number aboard.

It might be different depending on what ship you are on. On Wonder almost all the bars, shops, and coffee bars had the little square pads you just place your wrist on to pay. I think I had to remove it once at one of the bars because there reader would not reach me.  I loved being able to open my room door with it and didn’t have to take it off to swim or do activities. A lot of places didn’t even ask to use my band, they just asked for my room number.  The only time I needed my sea pass was getting on and off the ship. 

We bought the WOW bands once a few years ago but regretted it the first day.  We still had to always have our SetSail Pass to get the kids from Adventure Ocean, so we should have just saved our money because we ultimately just ended up using our lanyards.  In a couple years, once our kids are older and won't be doing Adventure Ocean, I could see us using it again (we do Disney often and love having the magic bands there).  

My wife and I have a sailing coming up in September on the Wonder and only have cruises with RCL once before years ago. If you have the unlimited dining and deluxe drink package how do the WOW bands work with that? On our previous cruise it seemed like the “drink package” just gave you a sticker on your state card that the bartenders looked for and we didn’t have the dining plan. So I don’t know how any of it works. 

1 hour ago, tjphuhs said:

My wife and I have a sailing coming up in September on the Wonder and only have cruises with RCL once before years ago. If you have the unlimited dining and deluxe drink package how do the WOW bands work with that? On our previous cruise it seemed like the “drink package” just gave you a sticker on your state card that the bartenders looked for and we didn’t have the dining plan. So I don’t know how any of it works. 

Works the same way as a SeaPass card, they have to tap it to pay and they'll see the drink and dining packages on your account.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, boomor said:

I do wish we could buy them ahead of time and have them waiting on us at the terminal or in our rooms though.  I know, we have to wait till we are on board and get them at the customer service desk.  That is going to be a nightmare the 1st day... 

Go during the dinner hour or very early the morning of Day 2.  I've also heard rumor of some tables being set up with them on Day 1, so that might be an option.