Dinner on Allure of the Seas

Katiel53

We are sailing on Allure of the Seas soon and will have most dinners in the Specialty restaurants.  I have a few questions.  I have read the MDR menu for the first night as one of the people in our group wants to have dinner in the MDR because prime rib is served that night.  I know I am picky, but the rest of the menu, ie soups etc. don't appeal to me and others, so I am wondering if the buffet has prime rib the first night?

Additionally, I love Giovanni's and have been there previously.  Someone else in our group isn't pleased with the menu.  She is a pasta lover and the ones shown on the menu are with sauces etc. that she won't eat.  Is it possible to get pasta with Bolognese or Pomodoro or some other red sauce?  I know lasagna isn't served at night in there and that would be her choice for dinner if it were available.

Thanks for any insight you might have.

Not certain if the Windjammer buffet will have prime rib.  There are some MDR menu items that are available in Windjammer, but it's not a total copy.  One strategy you might employ is to go to the Windjammer before your meal to eat something so you're not starving at dinner in the MDR.  

In terms of special request from Giovannis, I'd suggest going to Giovannis at least 24 hours before your meal and making a request. I'm sure they can accommodate the person in your group, but you just need to give them a heads up for your upcoming reservation.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses.  I think I will take a look at the buffet on night 1 to see what's there.  I will also speak to Giovanni's when we board to ask about the pasta.  I would think they should be able to do a pasta with one of their sauces on the menu.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

On 5/16/2017 at 10:08 AM, Katiel53 said:

I know lasagna isn't served at night in there and that would be her choice for dinner if it were available.

I know that michael on his review of oasis said that he asked for lasagna and got it several times as there were leftovers from lunch.   No guarantees but always pays to ask!  Jane

5 minutes ago, ZK121016 said:

New to cruising and trying to figure out as much as I can. How do you know before you get on the ship when the buffets are open? Also is room service at an additional cost?

The hours are posted in the Cruise Compass, but generally speaking they're open from about 6 to about 5 and then again about 6:30-9 for dinner. Sometime they close briefly between lunch and dinner, but there's always something open elsewhere during the closures. Hours can vary slightly with itinerary. On early port days, they will open earlier; on at sea days, they'll open a little later. 

The buffet will be open upon embarkation, but we now try to avoid it and opt for other venues that are less crowded. 

5 minutes ago, DocLC said:

The hours are posted in the Cruise Compass, but generally speaking they're open from about 6 to about 5 and then again about 6:30-9 for dinner. Sometime they close briefly between lunch and dinner, but there's always something open elsewhere during the closures. Hours can vary slightly with itinerary. On early port days, they will open earlier; on at sea days, they'll open a little later. 

The buffet will be open upon embarkation, but we now try to avoid it and opt for other venues that are less crowded. 

Great that is very helpful! So is the room service at an additional cost? Just curious on those late nights!

On 5/16/2017 at 11:08 AM, Katiel53 said:

We are sailing on Allure of the Seas soon and will have most dinners in the Specialty restaurants.  I have a few questions.  I have read the MDR menu for the first night as one of the people in our group wants to have dinner in the MDR because prime rib is served that night.  I know I am picky, but the rest of the menu, ie soups etc. don't appeal to me and others, so I am wondering if the buffet has prime rib the first night?

Additionally, I love Giovanni's and have been there previously.  Someone else in our group isn't pleased with the menu.  She is a pasta lover and the ones shown on the menu are with sauces etc. that she won't eat.  Is it possible to get pasta with Bolognese or Pomodoro or some other red sauce?  I know lasagna isn't served at night in there and that would be her choice for dinner if it were available.

Thanks for any insight you might have.

How did you find the menus? 

1 hour ago, Sonia said:

How did you find the menus? 

All of the menus that Matt has received are posted here:  https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/menus

Most of the menus for the specialty restaurants can be accessed via the Cruise Planner on the Royal Caribbean site.  In addition, Matt has many reviews of the various dining venues on the blog.

My favorite specialty restaurant to date is 150 Central Park.  While I enjoyed Samba Grill and Sabor, they both get mixed reviews.  I think Johnny Rockets is worth a splurge as it's not that expensive and much cheaper than the shore side equivalent.  I also found Giovanni's to be excellent, but Chops (the steakhouse) only so-so this cruise even though we dined there four nights on a previous 13-night cruise.

If you have any interest in sampling the various dining venues, I'd recommend considering a dining package.  I think it was $110 pp when we booked it, but I found it to be a tremendous value for 5 nights of specialty dining.  We actually didn't eat in the main dining room at all on our Allure cruise in January.

3 minutes ago, DocLC said:

All of the menus that Matt has received are posted here:  https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/menus

Most of the menus for the specialty restaurants can be accessed via the Cruise Planner on the Royal Caribbean site.  In addition, Matt has many reviews of the various dining venues on the blog.

My favorite specialty restaurant to date is 150 Central Park.  While I enjoyed Samba Grill and Sabor, they both get mixed reviews.  I think Johnny Rockets is worth a splurge as it's not that expensive and much cheaper than the shore side equivalent.  I also found Giovanni's to be excellent, but Chops (the steakhouse) only so-so this cruise even though we dined there four nights on a previous 13-night cruise.

If you have any interest in sampling the various dining venues, I'd recommend considering a dining package.  I think it was $110 pp when we booked it, but I found it to be a tremendous value for 5 nights of specialty dining.  We actually didn't eat in the main dining room at all on our Allure cruise in January.

I know how to find the specialty menus, but how did she know what they were serving in the MDR on each day?

2 minutes ago, Sonia said:

I know how to find the specialty menus, but how did she know what they were serving in the MDR on each day?

They will be available on the Way Finders (big touch screen panels around the ship), possibly on your stateroom TV, and outside of the main dining rooms after lunch each day.

3 minutes ago, DocLC said:

They will be available on the Way Finders (big touch screen panels around the ship), possibly on your stateroom TV, and outside of the main dining rooms after lunch each day.

OK - The original poster above said this: "I have read the MDR menu for the first night as one of the people in our group wants to have dinner in the MDR because prime rib is served that night."

She's not on the ship yet, so I'm assuming there's a set schedule online somewhere that she's read, otherwise how does she know there is prime rib on the first night?

1 minute ago, Sonia said:

OK - The original poster above said this: "I have read the MDR menu for the first night as one of the people in our group wants to have dinner in the MDR because prime rib is served that night."

She's not on the ship yet, so I'm assuming there's a set schedule online somewhere that she's read, otherwise how does she know there is prime rib on the first night?

On Oasis class ships, the "name" of the menu is posted on the cruise compass (Mojo, Saffron, etc) as to easily identify the theme for that night. These menus are (mostly) the same fleet-wide. It's fairly easy to hunt down the content of these menus once you know the name of the menu you're looking for. I know there's a link floating around to one of those PDFs..

... that being said, they are in the process of rolling out fleet-wide menu updates so no idea when it'll start hitting most of the ships.