Favorites on: Puerto Rico, St. Marteen & Labadee?

elly

I didn't do San Juan as a stop but instead cruised out of there, so I had more time, but a tour of old town and the forts was pretty amazing, I didn't go, but I read there was a rain forest tour that supposed to be pretty cool. St Marteen, I would do a beach and snorkel type, be careful of beaches on the french side of the island, "Clothing optional". Labadee is RCCL's private island, everything is pretty well organized, you didn't mention ages, but I'm 55 and I did the zip line, the roller coaster and the water toys and then just laid by the beach and sun bathed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2017 at 3:11 PM, elly said:

We are sailing out in less than 2 weeks and would love to hear about your favorite activities (organized tours and//or self discoveries) on these 3 ports. Thank you for any and all shares!

BY FAR... the most memorable excursion that we've ever done happened in St Marteen.... and that was the America's Cup yacht race.  You actually help to the race the boat against a competitor.  A great time (mentioned it to others who were going afterwards and they all concurred).  Enjoy!!

On 5/29/2017 at 4:54 PM, firemedic1560 said:

I agree about the America's Cup race! If sailboats aren't your thing we also did a trip with Captain Bob and we liked that too.

http://www.soualigadestinations.com/soualiga_destinations/Welcome.html

I'm booked with Capt Bob for my trip next March. Glad to hear someone else went with him and had a good experience. It's one thing to read a bunch of positive reviews on Trip Advisor, another to hear directly from someone who confirms all those reviews.

We did the jet ski thing out of Labadee.  My wife was a passenger on my jet ski because she didnt want to do one alone.  Since I am an experienced driver it was a little boring.  Everyone follows in a line that kinda jams up at times but I understand why they do this.  For safety reasons they wont let anyone free lance. There are some people that have a hard time steering a grocery cart so those people would be dangerous for everyone.  Driving a jet ski is similar to an airboat,  you have to get on the gas to turn them as oppose to a car that you slow down and brake to turn.  It was my wifes first time on a jet ski so she really enjoyed herself

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

MikeK,

Thanks for the info about the jet ski rental. My husband and I are doing a 40th anniversary cruise in May on Harmony with a stop at Labadee. We splurged and rented an over the water cabana. My husband was interested in the jet ski and I was going to surprise him with the rental. However, we’ve owned jet skis in the past and if he had to stay in line he would quickly be disappointed. 

Hello!! I am currently waking up in San Juan! 

Old San Juan (where the ships dock) is very walkable. I recommend a walk to one of the old Forts - we went to El Morro yesterday, and entry was $7 for adults. Very interesting and had some great views! After, we walked back down in to town for lunch. Lots of great lunch spots and places to shop! A couple Id recommend are Barrachina and Greengos. 

I saw someone recommend an excursion to the rainforest - unfortunately, this still appears to be closed due to sustained hurricane damage  

Hope this helps! 

On 2/25/2018 at 2:31 PM, BugsyCruiser said:

If you're looking for a nice beach day in St. Maarten and not that far from the pier, I highly recommend the Holland House Hotel. Great staff, food, and location just a short walk from the water taxi at the boardwalk

I'm going to google this! We are doing a horse back riding excursion but might have time to spend on the beach after that and I'm wondering about prices!

On 2/26/2018 at 8:42 PM, abm234 said:

I'm going to google this! We are doing a horse back riding excursion but might have time to spend on the beach after that and I'm wondering about prices!

Price is 25 dollars. That will get you a beach chair, umbrella, and your choice of whatever combination of 4 drinks, ie 4 bottles of beer, 4 sodas, 2 of each....

We've been to these ports several times.  The following are my recommendations:

San Juan - We simply walk around Old San Juan and around the fort.  BUT...we always have a drink and bite here:  https://chocobarpr.com/ 

Also, every time I am in this port we go to Mi Pequeno San Juan (store in Old San Juan) where I buy a new piece of art (hand-painted house front of Old San Juan) to hang in my house: http://www.mipequenosanjuan.com/handpainted-houses-old-san-juan.html

The address of the store is:

Mi Pequeño San Juan

152 Calle Fortaleza 
Old San Juan, Puerto Rico 00907

Tel. 787-721-5040

St. Maarten - Before the hurricane(s) last year my favorite beach in the whole-wide world was on this island.  Maho Beach.  The hurricane washed it away.  There is no more beach and this makes me SO SO SO sad.  However, the bar/restaurant next to the beach (Sunset Beach Bar) is still there and they have fabulous drinks and a perfect view of planes landing in the island's airport.  Check it out.  Here is a link to the place:  http://sunsetsxm.com/

Labadee - Relax here, relax here, relax here!  Scoop it up quick but renting a beach bed for the day is what we always do!  It will be too late to book on the Cruise Planner I think?  Look into it.  Worth it.  The roller coaster thing they have (I forget the name) is a blast too.  A must do.