Hotel recommendation for Cape Liberty

steverk

September will be my first time to sail out of Cape Liberty NJ and I need to find a good hotel.  My wife and I fly in the evening before the cruise to LGA (flights in to Newark were twice as much) and plan to get a cab to the hotel.  We're not super picky. A basic overnight hotel that is clean and safe will be fine.

Does anyone have a good recommendation?

Thank you in advance!

1 hour ago, steverk said:

September will be my first time to sail out of Cape Liberty NJ and I need to find a good hotel.  My wife and I fly in the evening before the cruise to LGA (flights in to Newark were twice as much) and plan to get a cab to the hotel.  We're not super picky. A basic overnight hotel that is clean and safe will be fine.

Does anyone have a good recommendation?

Thank you in advance!

You might wish you had just spent the money when you try to get from LGA to Cape Liberty! I only slightly kid, but it can be a bit of a pain. 

Are you against staying in the city, either Brooklyn or Manhattan? That's one option of a mid-way point if you're up for it, and offers the fun/excitement and meal options that the city has to offer. 

27 minutes ago, Paid4c4 said:

We stayed at the Springhill Suites in August when we went out on the Adventure of the Seas.  It was clean with quick check in and the included breakfast was OK.  Seventeen dollars to Uber from the hotel to the dock.  Enjoy your cruise.

Bill

Was that the Springhill Suites Newark Airport? If so, I stayed next to it at the Home 2 Suites in January and didn't sleep AT ALL due to all of the plane and highway noise. I'm looking for a hotel myself for our June cruise out of Cape Liberty and just wonder if that Springhill suites was any quieter or at least bearable? Thanks!

As I recall, there is a surcharge on Lyft and Uber to go between NY/NJ.

I realize you are flying into LaGuardia, so it's not apple to apples, but here's our one experience with cruising out of Cape Liberty:

We stayed at the Element Harrison-Newark.  It was what you'd expect for a sub $200 hotel.  Very clean and comfortable, and there was a Five Guys right across from the entrance.  Breakfast buffet included at the hotel.  A Lyft to the port cost us $22.99 before tip.

We chose it because we took Amtrak down from Boston and the hotel was one stop from Newark's Penn Station on the PATH train.  Easy walk from the station to the hotel....plus I had more than enough Marriott points to pay for the room.

1 hour ago, Zacharius said:

You might wish you had just spent the money when you try to get from LGA to Cape Liberty! I only slightly kid, but it can be a bit of a pain. 

Indeed I might! 

The airfare difference was $600 for my wife and I.  The cab fare from LGA to the cruise port is $90, so it would have to be very, very bad to make me regret going through LGA.

14 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

If you are looking to stay in Newark, there is an Embassy Suites in Elizabeth, NJ that we have stayed at as well. It offers a free airport shuttle and complimentary breakfast.

Is that the hotel you stayed at pre-Anthem and then regretted not staying in Manhattan? 😆

Hey, sorry to butt in on @steverk's post, but this has just been such a huge conundrum for me since my nightmare of noise night at Home2Suites in January.  I look at the map and I look at the hotels and I just end up closing it all back up without making a reservation. I understand the Jersey City recommendation, but our flight is not scheduled to arrive at Newark until about 4:30 on a weekday afternoon. Is it worth it to Uber over to Jersey City with commuting traffic, etc, or just stay near the airport (check out the Elizabeth recommendation?) when arriving early evening. Appreciate your thoughts - and now back to your regular programming...

20 minutes ago, FloatyBoaty said:

Hey, sorry to butt in on @steverk's post, but this has just been such a huge conundrum for me since my nightmare of noise night at Home2Suites in January.  I look at the map and I look at the hotels and I just end up closing it all back up without making a reservation. I understand the Jersey City recommendation, but our flight is not scheduled to arrive at Newark until about 4:30 on a weekday afternoon. Is it worth it to Uber over to Jersey City with commuting traffic, etc, or just stay near the airport (check out the Elizabeth recommendation?) when arriving early evening. Appreciate your thoughts - and now back to your regular programming...

In my opinion, not worth it in your case. I don't see you getting to Jersey City before 5:45ish if your flight is on time (picking up luggage, waiting for a ride, getting the ride in traffic). Yes it opens up food/drink options, but grabbing a room at Newark Airport that has a restaurant would probably be the way I would go. Maybe even just the Marriott right at EWR Airport. 

We stayed at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Newark Airport, NJ for our Anthem cruise out of Port Liberty last April.  It’s an industrial area, but there’s an iHop there, and the room had two beds and a separate room with a sofa bed, which worked well for us.  Walmart and Target nearby as well. Was minutes from the port, reasonably priced.

We’re thinking of staying a little further away for our Liberty cruise this year only because we found a nice area in the region when we were in NJ a couple of weeks ago and want to check it out more.  There’s a lot of restaurants and shops over there, it’s La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham in Fairfield NJ and was like $100 a night. It’s about 35 mins from the port.

1 hour ago, letscruise said:

We are staying at the Westin Jersey City for an upcoming Cape Liberty cruise.  Hopefully there is somewhere walkable for dinner nearby. 

LOTS of options in the area!  You're literally across the street from a mall with a number of options in one direction and the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway on the other.  Everything from Cheesecake Factory and Ruth's Chris to local Chinese, Mexican and Indian all in under two blocks.  You won't go hungry!

2 hours ago, Ontariocruisers99 said:

We are driving from Ontario in June and area also looking for a Hotel. Have been checking the Newark Airport and Jersey City, hotels have sure went up in price along with everything else.

We like Jersey City, especially if you’re there a few day early (5 minute walk to the ferry into Manhattan). Last cruise we stayed at the Newark airport (flew in), won’t stay in that area ever again. Our first cruise we stayed in Clinton NJ, more reasonable price, about an hour drive into the cruise port but was pretty easy, minimal traffic

16 minutes ago, tjcruisers said:

We like Jersey City, especially if you’re there a few day early (5 minute walk to the ferry into Manhattan). Last cruise we stayed at the Newark airport (flew in), won’t stay in that area ever again. Our first cruise we stayed in Clinton NJ, more reasonable price, about an hour drive into the cruise port but was pretty easy, minimal traffic

Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the Newark Airport area? This will be our first time in the area, we will be arriving a day early.

7 hours ago, steverk said:

Do you have any specific ones you can recommend?

It's been a while so I don't want to get specific. Map them out along the water front. Many to choose from. There is the Newport center mall which has a Cheesecake Factory in it and a CVS for last minute items. A grocery located next to mall as well and a target on the other side. Anything along the waterfront area bet the path stations is a great location. Good view of NYC. And if nothing you like within walking distance a $5 to $10 no more than 5 minute Uber ride along that waterfront or next town over to Washington Street in Hoboken will give you more food options. At airport you are stuck with airport noise and almost no food options. Look along the water on a map from Exchange Place up along river to Hoboken. So much better than the airport. And food and drink in area. Nice view of NYC. And just as close to Port as Airport. 

If you stay near the Newark airport I highly recommend taking an uber into Elizabeth and get some Portuguese food, Valencia is a favorite of ours. We have family in NJ that we cruise with so we don't always stay near the airport but sometimes an early flight or a quick turnaround makes it more convenient. In two months we will be there, the renaissance is quiet  but there's nothing to walk to so we will be eating here https://www.yelp.com/biz/valença-restaurant-elizabeth-2?osq=Restaurants

Paella and the filet mignon you cook on a hot rock are the best.

"We stayed at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Newark Airport, NJ for our Anthem cruise out of Port Liberty last April.  It’s an industrial area, but there’s an iHop there, and the room had two beds and a separate room with a sofa bed, which worked well for us.  Walmart and Target nearby as well. Was minutes from the port, reasonably priced."

The Country Inn is now a Hampton Inn as an FYI, and is still being remodeled, we are staying bthere in July for our Liberty cruise.

17 hours ago, Paid4c4 said:

We stayed at the Springhill Suites in August when we went out on the Adventure of the Seas.  It was clean with quick check in and the included breakfast was OK.  Seventeen dollars to Uber from the hotel to the dock.  Enjoy your cruise.

Bill

We fly into Newark in October for our cruise (Jewel OTS) and we will be staying at the Springhill Suites.  We plan to either get an Taxi or maybe a Uber (never used Uber before so not sure).  I called the hotel yesterday and they said to schedule a taxi pickup when we arrive for the next morning. 

11 hours ago, Ontariocruisers99 said:

Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the Newark Airport area? This will be our first time in the area, we will be arriving a day early.

There were a few things.  While on that trip we flew instead of driving (originally we were gonna drive), the hotel didn't have any parking available the days we were there. The hotels are somewhat isolated in clumps, if you don't like the hotel restaurant for example, you can't walk around to find another (like you can around Pearson) , you pretty much have to drive. There is a prison beside the ones in north section of hotels (not sure if that will bother you). The roadways around our hotel were somewhat massive of a spaghetti pattern, watching out the windows on the shuttle to the cruise terminal, definitely not something I'd want to try on my own, would definitely need to know the route well ahead of time.

In hindsight if I really needed to stay at the airport again I'd pick hotels at the southeast corner (Embassy Suites/Residence inn) seems like a better layout and there is a mall around them

2 hours ago, tjcruisers said:

There were a few things.  While on that trip we flew instead of driving (originally we were gonna drive), the hotel didn't have any parking available the days we were there. The hotels are somewhat isolated in clumps, if you don't like the hotel restaurant for example, you can't walk around to find another (like you can around Pearson) , you pretty much have to drive. There is a prison beside the ones in north section of hotels (not sure if that will bother you). The roadways around our hotel were somewhat massive of a spaghetti pattern, watching out the windows on the shuttle to the cruise terminal, definitely not something I'd want to try on my own, would definitely need to know the route well ahead of time.

In hindsight if I really needed to stay at the airport again I'd pick hotels at the southeast corner (Embassy Suites/Residence inn) seems like a better layout and there is a mall around them

Thanks, appreciate the info! I think Jersey City sounds like a good option.

3 hours ago, whitsmom said:

We fly into Newark in October for our cruise (Jewel OTS) and we will be staying at the Springhill Suites.  We plan to either get an Taxi or maybe a Uber (never used Uber before so not sure).  I called the hotel yesterday and they said to schedule a taxi pickup when we arrive for the next morning. 

We used Uber to go from the hotel to the ship with a tip it was 20 dollars.  We used a taxi from the airport to the hotel which cost 25 dollars.  The reason for the taxi is because both the shuttle and Uber require riding the airport train to the pickup location.  We had been tied up all day with cancelations and delays which made the taxi look very inviting as it was 10PM and we were both tired.

Bill

2 hours ago, Paid4c4 said:

We used Uber to go from the hotel to the ship with a tip it was 20 dollars.  We used a taxi from the airport to the hotel which cost 25 dollars.  The reason for the taxi is because both the shuttle and Uber require riding the airport train to the pickup location.  We had been tied up all day with cancelations and delays which made the taxi look very inviting as it was 10PM and we were both tired.

Bill

We are staying at the one by the airport so they have free shuttle so hopefully it won't be too complicated (we get in early afternoon).