I'm calling Matt out!

RickW

Now that I've got your attention, let me say that I love to read or view Matt's helpful comments on a wide variety of subjects. Matt's stubborn insistence on calling CocoCay CocoKey is just too much to let slide though. Now Matt, I realize that the islanders in the Caribbean refer to those small islands as Keys, just like we call Key West, even though it's always spelled Cay. Yes, I realize that. But here are the important differences proving why it's wrong to keep saying CocoKey instead of CocoKay. First of all, this island is owned (or at least long term leased) by Royal Caribbean. They get to call it whatever they want to as long as it's in their possession. They made up a little rhyme to describe it "Perfect Day at CocoCay" (CocoKay) See, CocoKey doesn't rhyme with Perfect Day. And to reinforce how they want it they have their own song about the island when you arrive there where they actually sing the name, and it's sung as CocoKay, not Key. As a matter fact we have to wait until we have heard them sing "CocoKay" before they let you get off the ship. Their on board videos about it call it CocoKay. The cruise director tells you on video about the fun you are about to have on CocoKay. The ships captain actually welcomes you to the island over the loudspeaker to CocoKay. That's CocoKay that everyone connected with Royal Caribbean is saying. Except you. Sorry but I'm going to enjoy the way it rhymes when I say "Perfect Day at CocoKay". Yes, it's spelled CocoCay, but pronounced CocoKay. I realize that no matter what I've said, that you'll probably continue to call it CocoKey. After all, nobody's perfect.  

ChatBoot to the rescue 🙂:

CocoCay is a private island in the Bahamas that is owned by Royal Caribbean International, a cruise line company. However, many people have referred to the island as "CocoKey" instead of "CocoCay."

While some people might argue that it's not okay to call it "CocoKey" because it's not the correct name, others might argue that it's simply a matter of personal preference or a harmless mistake.

Here are some reasons why it might be considered okay to call CocoCay "CocoKey":

1. Similar Names: The name "CocoKey" is very similar to "CocoCay," and it's possible that some people simply get the two names mixed up. This is especially true for people who are not familiar with the island and are hearing the name for the first time.

2. Familiarity: For some people, the name "CocoKey" might simply be more familiar or easier to remember than "CocoCay." This could be because they have heard the name "CocoKey" used more frequently or because the name "CocoCay" is less intuitive or memorable.

3. Common Usage: Language is constantly evolving, and sometimes words and phrases take on new meanings or change over time. It's possible that "CocoKey" could become a more commonly used term for the island, even if it's not the official name.

4. Inclusivity: Finally, it's worth considering that the name "CocoKey" might be more inclusive than "CocoCay." The word "key" is often used to refer to islands in the Bahamas, and by using this term, people might be acknowledging the island's cultural and historical context.

Of course, it's important to remember that "CocoCay" is the official name of the island, and using this name is the most accurate and respectful option. However, if someone accidentally calls it "CocoKey," it's likely not a big deal and doesn't require correction or criticism. Ultimately, what's most important is treating others with kindness and respect, regardless of what name they use for a particular place or thing.

18 hours ago, RickW said:

Now that I've got your attention, let me say that I love to read or view Matt's helpful comments on a wide variety of subjects. Matt's stubborn insistence on calling CocoCay CocoKey is just too much to let slide though. Now Matt, I realize that the islanders in the Caribbean refer to those small islands as Keys, just like we call Key West, even though it's always spelled Cay. Yes, I realize that. But here are the important differences proving why it's wrong to keep saying CocoKey instead of CocoKay. First of all, this island is owned (or at least long term leased) by Royal Caribbean. They get to call it whatever they want to as long as it's in their possession. They made up a little rhyme to describe it "Perfect Day at CocoCay" (CocoKay) See, CocoKey doesn't rhyme with Perfect Day. And to reinforce how they want it they have their own song about the island when you arrive there where they actually sing the name, and it's sung as CocoKay, not Key. As a matter fact we have to wait until we have heard them sing "CocoKay" before they let you get off the ship. Their on board videos about it call it CocoKay. The cruise director tells you on video about the fun you are about to have on CocoKay. The ships captain actually welcomes you to the island over the loudspeaker to CocoKay. That's CocoKay that everyone connected with Royal Caribbean is saying. Except you. Sorry but I'm going to enjoy the way it rhymes when I say "Perfect Day at CocoKay". Yes, it's spelled CocoCay, but pronounced CocoKay. I realize that no matter what I've said, that you'll probably continue to call it CocoKey. After all, nobody's perfect.  

The in room tv channel about excursions actually called it Coco Key and I was totally thrown off by this, since THEY are the ones forcing the rhyme on us! 

And here is the ChatBoot song for CocoKey 🙂

Verse 1)

I'm feeling the sunshine on my skin

As I step on the sand, I'm ready to begin

Exploring a place, so full of fun

CocoKey Island, where the good times have just begun

(Chorus)

CocoKey, CocoKey, where the island never sleeps

A place to swim, surf, and play, the memories we will keep

From lounging on the beach to zip-lining through the trees

CocoKey Island, the place to be

(Verse 2)

The crystal clear water, so inviting and blue

Jet skis, paddleboards, there's so much to do

Taking a dip in the pool, that's just the start

A day full of adventure, let's play our part

(Chorus)

(Bridge)

Feel the sand between our toes

As the island breeze blows

We can relax and let it go

Or try something new, you never know

(Chorus)

(Outro)

So let's pack our bags and hit the road

To CocoKey Island, the perfect abode

A place to make memories and have some fun

CocoKey Island, under the Caribbean sun.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury... may I introduce Exhibit A... directly from RCCL's website:

Coco Cay FAQ

"How is CocoCay pronounced? CocoCay is pronounced Coco-Key." [Bottom of page 1]

The defense rests... jury deliberations take two seconds.... 

How is this even debatable?  RCCL Corporate has answered the questions for us... it's Coco KEY. 

6 hours ago, Traveler said:

And here is the ChatBoot song for CocoKey 🙂

Verse 1)

I'm feeling the sunshine on my skin

As I step on the sand, I'm ready to begin

Exploring a place, so full of fun

CocoKey Island, where the good times have just begun

(Chorus)

(Verse 2)

The crystal clear water, so inviting and blue

Jet skis, paddleboards, there's so much to do

Taking a dip in the pool, that's just the start

A day full of adventure, let's play our part

(Chorus)

(Bridge)

Feel the sand between our toes

As the island breeze blows

We can relax and let it go

Or try something new, you never know

(Chorus)

(Outro)

So let's pack our bags and hit the road

To CocoKey Island, the perfect abode

A place to make memories and have some fun

CocoKey Island, under the Caribbean sun.

...and now I want to sit down at a piano and figure out a melody for this. LOL!!!!

This is the song that they are playing NOW on board the Symphony of the Seas before you arrive on CocoCay. They very clearly sing "CocoKay". If the 2018 directive written before the island actually opened that it should be pronounced Key instead of Kay is still in effect, it might be wise to change the current song and also inform the ships captain and cruse director that they should stop misleading people by calling it CocoKay. Just sayin'...  😉