Balcony on Arctic Circle Cruise?

I'm looking at an Arctic Circle Cruise in June.  It's 12 nights onboard the Jewel of the Seas out of Amsterdam.

Is the weather going to be decent enough to warrant the expense of a balcony cabin?  Caribbean - no question.  I can sit out there and drink coffee and watch the sunset/sunrise every day.  But in the Arctic Circle?  Might be some nice views of the Fjords in Norway from there. 

Is it worth it to spend the extra $900 to go from Inside to Balcony ($600 to go from Inside to Ocean View)?

You can expect damp chilly weather on the sailing.  You will only find daring souls actually in the pool on the pool deck unless in the heated Solarium so spending large amounts of time on your balcony could be hit or miss due to weather conditions.  Just be prepared and pack much warmer clothes.  Just think realistically what's your personal preference and budget.  Shore excursions can be expensive for that itinerary so weigh that option as well are expensive excursions more important than balcony cabin or Ocean view cabin.  No matter what you are going to have a great time on your cruise.

I am one to always want a balcony regardless of the temperature (it's one of my favorite places on all ships).  If it's cold, I dress accordingly and still go out there; however, I might not stay as long as I would if it weren't cold.  We did an Alaska cruise and it was chilly but that didn't stop me from enjoying the balcony.  The views will be unbelievable I am sure.

For the price difference, it is worth it for me but I'm sure there are those who wouldn't think it was.

I agree with @whitsmom.  I went on a cruise around South America.  It was great to have my own viewing area where I did not have to fight the crowds up on deck.  Since I am from New England, I am used to colder weather.  I would just dress in warmer clothes.  If it gets really bad, I would move the chairs inside to enjoy the views. 

2 hours ago, barjpoe said:

Sunrise/sunset???  I wanted to send a picture of sunset at midnight on July 31, 2022 but don't know how.  For June sunset will be quite late and sunrise quite early😄.  

Also going into the fjords, the balcony is the quite place to be, it very peaceful and awe inspiring especially going into the port of Geiranger. 

Agree with barjpoe, weather was great this past year in late June. We had aft bcy 9660 and loved it. Bring some binder clips to seal up your balcony curtains for that late sun. You can see the date at the bottom of the TV screen.

All we did was to layer up 2 shirts, or a sweater/light jacket.

IMG_1514.JPG

IMG_1597.JPG

Work from Sea,

My wife and I did an Arctic Transatlantic last September. Could be my favorite cruise of all time.  we had a balcony on Voyager.  It was nice to have on the Sea Days to sit our and relax on our own Balcony.  However, when we started going though the Fjords we viewed the entrance from the Balcony. On the way out we decided to go outside.  The outside views where so much better as you got to take in a full view of your surrounding!  The staff served Hot Chocolate on deck and the entire experience was so much better.  When we every we do it again I would most likely still get the balcony just because we and 4 or 5 sea days, but it looks like you sailing is more port heavy and much more hours of daylight.  On that sailing I would go with the inside room for the price and better night rest then go out on deck to view all of that splendor.  Just my two cents.   Have a great time!!

One additional question:

There are 2 sailings.   They seem to be mostly identical.  Both 12 nights.  Same ship.  Both round trip out of Amsterdam. 

Both sail to Geiranger, Arctic Circle, Honningsvag, Flam, and Molde.

June 17 additionally stops at Alesund and Olden.

July 11  stops at Tromso, Stavanger, and Kristiansand.

Any thoughts on the ports of call that are different between the two?  Any of those stops a "must do" to help me decide between the two trips?

Thanks again to everyone.

14 hours ago, Work From Sea said:

Any thoughts on the ports of call that are different between the two?  Any of those stops a "must do" to help me decide between the two trips?

When I am trying to figure out which ports I want to visit, I usually 'Google' the town name.  You can find several sites with the top 10 things to do at a port.  By looking at a few different sites (like TripAdvisor or Viator), I can figure out if anything interests me.  I don't usually ask for suggestions from others because what they may like might not be what I like.  For example: Arts?  History?  Activities/Thrills?  Food/wines? Bus tours? 

Good luck making your choices. 

One think I forgot to mention is to take some light weight gloves and maybe a hat. (ie go to your local $$ store and get some of those stretchy type gloves for a $$ or so). We had to buy some in Norway and the one day we needed them ; (up on the pool deck); we left them in our cabin. Though we did take them off the ship at some of the ports and never used them🤣 

Going back to the cabin type.

We’ve never done this itinerary, but it’s on our bucket list of cruises.  We will book a balcony when we eventually book it. 

Our “rule” for cruising has evolved to this:  If we’re on a “bucket list” cruise, we’re getting a balcony.  If we’re on a “get out of New England in the middle winter” cruise, we do an inside (or even a GTY).  

Without reading others feedback, I’ll share that we loved having a balcony on a Norway, Iceland, Scotland cruise.  We prefer balconies anyway but as you sail into or out of many ports you may be traveling in fjords.  Always some interesting sites and easy to jump out to the balcony for a quick peek.  The weather can be good or bad and I would actually say the balcony is a plus in bad weather.  Very easy to stay in and comfortable with the ability to pop out quickly to see a site.  Might even see a tiny island church.

image.thumb.jpeg.9ebca19df07b0e411be11bdb6df3ddcc.jpeg

or just watch the clouds hanging on mountains like these headed into Akureyri.

image.thumb.jpeg.1af37900b95c691173ee413dc532db06.jpeg

On 2/27/2023 at 8:32 PM, Work From Sea said:

One additional question:

June 17 additionally stops at Alesund and Olden.

July 11  stops at Tromso, Stavanger, and Kristiansand.

Thanks again to everyone.

Not sure what you plan to do but Stavanger is not bad and the trip options land or boat to pulpit rock are great options.  We did a fjord cruise there.  

Kristiansand was one of my favorites, we did a tour later in the day but I did a great run in the morning around the town and waterfront areas.  Very nice place. (At least a few years ago, it was.)