Bacon?

Hoppy2BHere

Good Day,

Okay..We have done some searching and haven’t found anything on the subject…The “Bacon” at Chops Grill. Is it bacon or a ham steak? We have tried it several times to the same conclusion. It’s a piece of ham…Thought we we ask for some other’s thoughts on the subject…for fun…

jim and sher

3 hours ago, Hoppy2BHere said:

Okay. I stand corrected. I do have to say that every time I have tried it thinking it might taste differently, I am disappointed. It has so little taste to me and little resemblance to the thick cut bacon I was raised on.. Oh well. Maybe it’s just me…

It isn't just you!  I SO wanted to like it, but I find it tasteless, slimy and refer to it as 'gooby' LOL.  In my world, gooby = not crispy, slimy, unrendered fat.  

3 hours ago, Blulady said:

It isn't just you!  I SO wanted to like it, but I find it tasteless, slimy and refer to it as 'gooby' LOL.  In my world, gooby = not crispy, slimy, unrendered fat.  

I, also, have been seriously disappointed with the pork belly in the past.  A couple of weeks ago, on SY I decided to try ONE more time but when I ordered, I asked them to please make sure it was extra crispy.  It was great !  When it’s soggy and kinda limp, it’s rather disgusting, but extra crispy made all the difference.

I made a bunch of my travel party try it and the major gripe is the amount of fat and the fact it's not crispy. We had it on Odyssey in Nov and 5 people had it but none of them looked or tasted the same. Pork Belly is bacon technically but it's not like American bacon. Even at its crispiest, it will still not be as tasty. 

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I, also, have been seriously disappointed with the pork belly in the past.  A couple of weeks ago, on SY I decided to try ONE more time but when I ordered, I asked them to please make sure it was extra crispy.  It was great !  When it’s soggy and kinda limp, it’s rather disgusting, but extra crispy made all the difference.

I'll have to remember that.

I am in the same camp when it came to the thick, almost creamy pork belly “bacon” appetizer at Chops. I have this dreamy bacon in my head that we had at The Pinnacle Grill on Holland America and I went back to look and it’s not nearly as thick and impressive as I remembered. Definitely crispy though!! Can’t knock this presentation 😂

ScreenShot2023-02-27at12_47_51PM.thumb.png.2995640ab592d0885336c2916cafd2e9.png

21 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Okay, you convinced me to give it one more try!  

• 4 months later...

Okay..Bored on a Sunday morning and decided to stoke this fire, but just have to say… on the last 2 cruises we have taken (since this was created) I have had the bacon done as @WAAAYTOOO mentioned and love it. We were on Mariner in June and had to have it every time we went to Chops.  Had UDP and made good use of it on an 8 day… Bacon, wedge, filet, repeat as necessary… looking forward to Wonder in 70 days!

Happy Sunday and thanks everyone for helpful hints and ideas!

J&S

The Pork Belly strip, or "Bacon" as it is called at Chops, seemed like they tried too hard and kinda failed.  

Too much going on and too little technical effort.

I would let the pork belly speak for itself with minimal seasoning (salt and pepper), while focusing more on technique and preparation.  Personally, I would quick smoke it, slow oven cook, then sear on a flat top of torch the hind/fat for crispy texture.

The world famous Peter Luger Steakhouse has a pork belly strip.  It is simple in its preparation and seasoning.  Very tasty.  Chops, not so much.

It is a hard pass for me.

Pontificating as a Southerner from the great state of Tennessee, the rendition of pork belly found at Chops is an insult to "low and slow" meat smokin' readily found in backyards and great BBQ restaurants in our part of the country.

They should stick to filet mignon and other cuts of meat that don't require "low and slow" techniques.

Happy Sailing! 🙂 

9 hours ago, JimnKathy said:

Pontificating as a Southerner from the great state of Tennessee, the rendition of pork belly found at Chops is an insult to "low and slow" meat smokin' readily found in backyards and great BBQ restaurants in our part of the country.

They should stick to filet mignon and other cuts of meat that don't require "low and slow" techniques.

Happy Sailing! 🙂 

Plus they smother it with.... ketchup.