Fishing pole?

53 minutes ago, SFLcruiser said:

Hubby had this crazy idea that he can bring his fishing pole on Allure....anyone tried/seen this??

im making him call Royal bc it's not listed on their prohibited items list

Is he going to try to fish of the ship or bring it ashore at a port?

4 hours ago, Matt said:

If it's not on the prohibited items list, I don't see why that would be a problem.

So he called and the woman was like "I have no idea...no one has ever asked before!"

lol but I'm just thinking how is he taking it on with him? Does he need a case, can he just carry it on?? Oh man lol 

1 hour ago, SFLcruiser said:

So he called and the woman was like "I have no idea...no one has ever asked before!"

lol but I'm just thinking how is he taking it on with him? Does he need a case, can he just carry it on?? Oh man lol 

He can just throw it over his shoulder like Huck Finn!

I hear many cruises do not allow this....but it's been done.  There's a YouTube video of someone doing it (not successfully)

I think I also read a thread where someone was ticketed and fined at a port for fishing without a license.

Crew and staff are known to fish from the lower loading decks (without getting caught).

That said.  I plan on bringing one of these with me  ;)   Maybe get some shrimp from the salad bar as bait!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/EAGLE-CLAW-PACK-IT-TELESCOPIC-SPIN-COMBO/2418589.uts?productVariantId=4961113&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04662479&rid=20&gclid=COaTrOvT9NMCFYtMDQodwtoAoQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

53 minutes ago, BillHoo said:

I hear many cruises do not allow this....but it's been done.  There's a YouTube video of someone doing it (not successfully)

I think I also read a thread where someone was ticketed and fined at a port for fishing without a license.

Crew and staff are known to fish from the lower loading decks (without getting caught).

That said.  I plan on bringing one of these with me  ;)   Maybe get some shrimp from the salad bar as bait!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/EAGLE-CLAW-PACK-IT-TELESCOPIC-SPIN-COMBO/2418589.uts?productVariantId=4961113&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04662479&rid=20&gclid=COaTrOvT9NMCFYtMDQodwtoAoQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Haha good idea on the shrimp! Have to smuggle them off

4 hours ago, SFLcruiser said:

Haha good idea on the shrimp! Have to smuggle them off

Oh, you mean fishing off a pier or something?

I thought you were considering fishing off the balcony of your room.  Otherwise, if your room is facing dockside, just fill a baggy with shrimp and have your spouse wait for you on the dock and you can throw a bag of shrimp toward them, then debark yourself with your fishing instrument.

Or better yet.  Tie the small bag of shrimp to the fishing line and cast it out to your spouse.  That way, if you happen to miss and it falls in the water, you can reel it up and try again.   Also, if Dock Security comes out, your spouse can run and you reel up the shrimp and disappear inside the ship - what are they going to do?  board the ship? Heheh

26 minutes ago, klaconqueso said:

I mean... this is fine in theory... but what do you do with the fish once you catch it? Try to clean it in your room? Store it in an ice bucket?

You know that sushi activity folks have been talking about......well, he'll be all set for the activity!

15 minutes ago, rjac said:

You know that sushi activity folks have been talking about......well, he'll be all set for the activity!

OR... send it back in the MDR to be brought out for dinner? 

27 minutes ago, klaconqueso said:

OR... send it back in the MDR to be brought out for dinner? 

I know our Alaska cruise on carnival years ago if you caught a salmon on one of the fishing excursions they would bring it back and cook it for you 

1 hour ago, BillHoo said:

Oh, you mean fishing off a pier or something?

I thought you were considering fishing off the balcony of your room.  Otherwise, if your room is facing dockside, just fill a baggy with shrimp and have your spouse wait for you on the dock and you can throw a bag of shrimp toward them, then debark yourself with your fishing instrument.

Haha I can just see us doing this 

5 hours ago, SFLcruiser said:

UPDATE: we made it on board with the fishing pole no problems! We have it in a plastic document case and at first security asked what was in it, but said ok when we said fishing pole-walked right on through 

Happy Casting! Let us know how you do!

18 hours ago, SFLcruiser said:

UPDATE: we made it on board with the fishing pole no problems! We have it in a plastic document case and at first security asked what was in it, but said ok when we said fishing pole-walked right on through 

Security: Hey, what's in there?!
You: Uh, a fishing pole with plenty of dangerous and sharp lures.
Security: Well, as long as it's not alcohol. Go on your way and enjoy the cruise!

11 hours ago, Matt said:

Security: Well, as long as it's not alcohol. Go on your way and enjoy the cruise!

Or a blow dryer!

22 hours ago, Matt said:

Or a power strip!

2 hours ago, SFLcruiser said:

Even better...as we were walking off the ship past the table of confiscated items-among all of the power strips and liquor, there was a toaster oven!!

I guess I should leave the George Foreman Grill home in Oct. Rats, I was really looking forward to making some grilled cheese sandwiches in my cabin with stuff "borrowed" from the WJ.

• 1 year later...
On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:24 PM, SFLcruiser said:

Hubby had this crazy idea that he can bring his fishing pole on Allure....anyone tried/seen this??

Tell him to be careful! I caught a hammerhead shark fishing off the fantail of a navy cruiser back in the day....sitting in Guantanamo Bay.. We weren't fishing for sharks but the sharks didn't know that. We got the shark on board then the fun began. He had in mind taking somebody out....and almost did!

On 5/28/2017 at 12:23 PM, SFLcruiser said:

Even better...as we were walking off the ship past the table of confiscated items-among all of the power strips and liquor, there was a toaster oven!!

I had read a post somewhere that a woman boarded with a crock pot.. she said she didn't want to leave it at the hotel so took it on board and willingly gave it to security..