Cruise Surprise

kellyrc

I am surprising my mom with a cruise vacation. She has never been on one and it has always been her dream. I was planning on telling her that we are just going to Florida but here’s the dilemma: she doesn’t have a passport. 

Does anybody have any ideas on how I can make her get a passport without making it obvious? I’ve got nothing. I was hoping to tell her on Christmas which is only 2 weeks before the cruise.

Thanks!

Well if it goes from the port you leave and the port you return (closed loop route) all she needs is her ID and original raised seal birth certificate. Maybe say you want to hold on to it for safe keeping or make a copy to make a memory book for the family.  She would have to bring that if she needed to get a passport, so no way around getting her a passport without that either way.  Only way she would need a passport for a cruise if it was transatlantic or don't end up back at your original port.

I'd be hesitant to sail without the passport. If anything happens, she'd be unable to fly home.

Sorry to have to say this, but the older Mom is, the more likely she ends up needing medical attention.

If KevinJ's suggestion doesn't work, then you might have to let go of the surprise and just tell her your plan.  She'll still be happy!

25 minutes ago, steverk said:

I'd be hesitant to sail without the passport. If anything happens, she'd be unable to fly home.

Sorry to have to say this, but the older Mom is, the more likely she ends up needing medical attention.

If KevinJ's suggestion doesn't work, then you might have to let go of the surprise and just tell her your plan.  She'll still be happy!

That is a good point there.  Maybe have the family make a video if you are a little tech savy.  Or if you know someone that might be. Or as simple as a power point of past cruises and at the end put something like, get ready because you are going on the next adventure!!!

Passports are legal documents and only the person named on it can apply for it unless they are minors -- meaning your mom is the one who will have to apply for it herself.  As others have said, letting her in on the surprise early and planning for the trip is part of the fun.  Plan a special surprise party for her now to let her in on the secret in a fun way.  I am sure she will be excited.