Torn Over Naples

She Sails Away

Need advice. Looking at options for Naples...several things sound wonderful and I want to do it all but there's not enough time. 

First: Really want to see Pompei and the Borbonica Tunnels. There's a ship tour that hits both--(plus lunch somewhere) and runs eight hours--our whole day. 

Second option--third-party tour of Pompei and the Amalfi coast. This is third choice because I am not sure I need to see the coast, and it would be a trade off of the tunnels.

Third: possibly sounding ridiculous--is a walk into town to Christmas Alley, authentic pizza somewhere, and getting tickets on my own for the Borbonica Gallery. This of course drops Pompei.

I can't do it all so need advice from people who have been before. What do you recommend?

I am traveling alone, if that makes a difference. Reasonably fit and ready to walk or stand all day....but not Superwoman, either. 😁

Wow !  I can’t imagine a single excursion that would include Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast !  Each of those, on its own, would be difficult to do in a single day (well, maybe you could do an abbreviated “highlights” of Pompeii, but definitely not the entire Amalfi Coast !).  The Amalfi Coast is one of the most beautiful and amazing places I have ever been, but it is not a quick trip.

Personally, I found the tunnels to be a whole lotta nothin’.  Lot of climbing and walking but not much to see, honestly.

I personally found the ruins at Herculaneum (Ercolano) to be more accessible and “intact” than Pompeii and it’s a LOT smaller and easier to do that climbing Pompeii.  I don’t know if Herculaneum is an option or not.  Just my 2 cents.  Another 2 cents…I would recommend steering clear of downtown Naples.  It’s a pretty dirty and rough area.

I have done the Pompeii on our own a couple of times.   it is a bit of a walk to the train station in Naples, but then it was easy to get to Pompeii the train stops close to the entrance.   I spend the morning there then take the train to Sorrento for lunch and a bit of the Amalfi coast flavour (true nothing like the real thing but it is still very nice).  I usually then walk through Sorrento down to the water to catch a ferry (hydrofoil) back to Naples.

I also agree that Herculaneum could be a good choice as it is smaller and closer and then you can do things in Naples.

1 hour ago, Woody14 said:

I have done the Pompeii on our own a couple of times.   it is a bit of a walk to the train station in Naples, but then it was easy to get to Pompeii the train stops close to the entrance.   I spend the morning there then take the train to Sorrento for lunch and a bit of the Amalfi coast flavour (true nothing like the real thing but it is still very nice).  I usually then walk through Sorrento down to the water to catch a ferry (hydrofoil) back to Naples.

Honestly this sounds like the perfect Naples stop to me...I would definitely recommend this combo.