GTY Cabin

Safemike1

I made my reservation for a Junior Suite on April 29, Harmony sailing and paid with my credit card. But they told me I couldn't choose my own cabin and that RC would have to notify me of the cabin number I will be assigned. And that was about 3-weeks ago. About how long should I expect to wait for r them to assign a reserved, paid-for cabin? And if the paid-for cabin is not available after going through RC Next Cruise to book the cruise, would they upgrade to the next level if they can't give me the Junior Suite?

Sometimes you get assigned within a few days, sometimes it can be as late as just before the sail date.  It all depends on how many cabins become available, if they are "holding" cabins, if they have unbooked cabins assigned to "group bookings" and to whether and when existing bookings cancel.  And, even if cabins come available, they often want to keep them open a while so they can market them.  They usually have a good idea, based on experience, how many cabins in each category they will eventually have.  It gives them some marketing flexibility.

FWIW, I booked three cabins this past September for a Quantum Alaska cruise for August 2023...Took "Unobstructed Balcony Guarantee" bookings for all three...and, as of yet, none have been assigned.  Not worried...expect that at some time prior to the cruise, we'll be assigned three cabins, all unobstructed balcony or better.  Hoping for drastic upgrade, but not counting on it.  With the RoyalUp thing, if there's a suite available, RCCL can accept the bid of someone already in an unobstructed balcony and move them up to the suite and give me their balcony...thereby making a few more $$$ out of the bookings.

I book a lot of GTY cabins.  My cruise in November they gave me my room assignment months before the cruise, and they gave me an aft facing cabin.  My cruise in April I did not officially get my cabin until 3 days before the cruise, and they changed it the day of the cruise.  Once you check in for your cruise you can use a trick to look at the bar code to see what cabin they have assigned you for holding purposes.  Most of the time that will be your cabin.