Bringing prescription meds/vitamins on cruise

Magoody

for my vitamins, i take about half an hour and split them up into little baggies for am + pm.

i keep/save the baggies and then i reuse them for each trip.

then i am not fumbling around for what i need that day and i can just take it with me when i've eaten, etc. if i can find a pic to attach, i will edit this post. 💚

F10F99B6-41DC-4438-968E-C4CDF061B9DF.jpeg

3 hours ago, Magoody said:

Do we have to take our vitamins and prescription meds in original bottles or can we already have them divided out into our daily pill box when boarding the cruise and leave bottles at home? 

I put all of my daily vitamins in a pill case separated by days, no issues at all. I do the same for my kids. Three different pill cases with anywhere from 5-11 daily vitamins in each day, no problem.

2 hours ago, asquared17 said:

for my vitamins, i take about half an hour and split them up into little baggies for am + pm.

i keep/save the baggies and then i reuse them for each trip.

then i am not fumbling around for what i need that day and i can just take it with me when i've eaten, etc. if i can find a pic to attach, i will edit this post. 💚

/cdn-cgi/mirage/5168d22e8e85e9a33673fed7745500ef89b7f8ca2e9bafff0c9bb80f6a6aefaa/1280/https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/uploads/monthly_2023_02/F10F99B6-41DC-4438-968E-C4CDF061B9DF.thumb.jpeg.90bcbfd75eb05df579792aa0b69bb95b.jpeg

Hubs and i do exactly this too. We're old: hair vitamins or bust! (Among others, that's just the most vain 🤣). We've never had an issue. 

I am always afraid of having my pills in the pill box and getting questioned by the airline's customs.  I bring my pill box that holds two weeks, but I also bring my prescription bottles just in case.  When I am traveling internationally, I make sure they are in the original bottles when I fly then move them to the pill box once I get to my final destination or ship.  I also keep pictures of the bottles just in case.  Yes... I am paranoid.  

41 minutes ago, Traveling Mike said:

I am always afraid of having my pills in the pill box and getting questioned by the airline's customs.  I bring my pill box that holds two weeks, but I also bring my prescription bottles just in case.  When I am traveling internationally, I make sure they are in the original bottles when I fly then move them to the pill box once I get to my final destination or ship.  I also keep pictures of the bottles just in case.  Yes... I am paranoid.  

I think this is wise for international travel, especially by flight and especially if you're prescribed something that may be considered a narcotic.

if you're staying domestic or Caribbean, you can use the pill boxes.

Make sure you have enough for the trip and then some for emergency. 

Check your destinations Embassy for meds that may not be allowed. 

10 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

We use something similar; however, I do take a picture of my hubby's prescription bottles just in case.  I have never been asked but there is always that first time.

Narcotic or anything with a C (controlled substance) symbol (C-II - C-V), I would definitely bring the bottles.  My DD, who had epilepsy, I did belt & suspenders - had a weekly med holder filled in, and at least 1-2 weeks more in bottles (for a 12 day, 1 week in the med holder, 3 weeks in bottles). If you want to make it easier - ie, you have a 90 day supply but don't want to bring the big bottles) you can ask your pharmacy if they will package some of your meds in a 2nd, smaller bottle that will take up less room.  For my upcoming 7 day, 2 weeks of med holders - I take meds at 5 different times/day), and if I don't need the 2nd week, I have it set up to use when I get home. For things like tylenol, motrin, or other "as needed" meds - I have a multi compartment cylinder that will hold a bunch of over the counter meds. 

FYI - if anyone takes a cannabinoid product, I would check very carefully to make sure you can travel with it.  The only FDA approved products I know of is epidiolex (for seizures) & Marinol (for chemo & AIDS related nausea/appetite stimulant)

I take photos of each of my bottles with a sample pill in front of the label, then use multi-day dispensers to keep me on track (and tape them shut in my carry-on so I don't find a random pile of pills at the bottom of my backpack when I get to the room...)

Also I agree with other posters that you should take several days' more than you will need just in case... we were gone for a month and I took 10 extra days' worth with me.

(Note: if you have insurance coverage for your meds ordinarily you cannot refill a prescription early, but there is a "vacation override" option your pharmacist can enter that should allow for the early refill. Any of the big chains can handle this. 

I put all my pills in an old prescription pill bottle (after I take off its label).  I tried those dispensers but I could not find one large enough to hold my BIG pills. I usually only carry 1 or 2 extra days of medication.

I also take a picture of any prescription drugs - just in case I do get stranded or something has happened to my pills.  

WARNING: Some over the counter medication (like Sudafed) is considered a controlled substance.  I found the following information from https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/your-health-abroad.html:

• Bring an ample supply of medication to cover you for your trip, and if possible, a few extra days in case there are delays.
  • Carry a letter from the attending physician that describes your medical condition and any prescription medications, including the generic name of prescribed drugs.
  • Keep medications in their original, labeled containers.
  • Check with the foreign embassy of the country you are visiting or transiting to make sure your medications are permitted in that country. Some countries require an import license or permit to travel with certain medications.

5 hours ago, D Alt said:

I think this is wise for international travel, especially by flight and especially if you're prescribed something that may be considered a narcotic.

if you're staying domestic or Caribbean, you can use the pill boxes.

Make sure you have enough for the trip and then some for emergency. 

Check your destinations Embassy for meds that may not be allowed. 

We are from Canada and therefore travelling internationally for cruising. My wife has never had any issues with pill boxes, 

I have 7 prescription pills I take daily.  I am a walking disaster.

I only take the original prescription bottles for those considered "Controlled Substances" and I make sure that the bottle is dated correctly and NEVER put more medication in the bottle than is stated on the label.

I also NEVER take them off the ship except for my epi pen and nitroglycerin for obvious reasons.

I have severe Afib and have a defibrillator implant and an Insulin Pump.

With all that said, I have never been stopped or questioned about any medications.

It does help to register with TSA Precheck !

I always err on the side of caution and bring the original container with the pharmacy label on it (that has my name, doctor's name, medication name, etc.).

Additionally, when my travel agent called to verify that our medical fridge and sharps container request was noted on our reservation, Royal sent this email:

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.  

We will provide a mini-refrigerator and a sharp's container at no additional cost on the day of sailing.

We recommend bringing a doctor’s letter, or prescription, for the syringes so there are no problems with Customs and/or security.  

Please be advised your reservation has been noted accordingly. 

Nobody asked about it at all but knowing the kind of luck I have, if I didn't bring the prescription labels, that's when they would ask!

One more thing I would like to mention.  If you are going to a country where otc meds are considered a controlled substance in their country, only take what you need plus an extra day or two.  If you take a month worth of drugs for a 7 night cruise, the authorities could consider you a dealer with that much extra medication. To my mind, I would consider it a stretch but it has happend.   

36 minutes ago, FireFishII said:

One more thing I would like to mention.  If you are going to a country where otc meds are considered a controlled substance in their country, only take what you need plus an extra day or two.  If you take a month worth of drugs for a 7 night cruise, the authorities could consider you a dealer with that much extra medication. To my mind, I would consider it a stretch but it has happend.   

welp. new fear unlocked 😅🙃 rip my sanity