How's the fish?

SeaSomm

My inclination for an upcoming cruise would be to order a lot of fish and seafood dishes, but in my experience properly cooked fish is hard to come by in large-scale dining situations. It's usually overcooked and sometimes dry to the point of unpalatability. I should note that my preference is that fish be cooked "moist," or in the case of steak-type fish, rare. If the fish is dry or well done I will pass. Am I likely to be disappointed by Main Dining Room fish entrees?

(NOTE: this is all based on the older menus - won't be able to comment on the new ones until May) They usually do the salmon properly, especially if you request it medium-rare. The dover sole and snapper are both hit-or-miss. Shrimp are usually a bit mealy, though I've had some very good shrimp dishes. The fish and chips is just cod and has been good every time I've tried it.

If you're on a ship that has it, "Hooked" is also hit-or-miss - i was terrific on "Symphony" and awful on "Wonder."  Good luck!

1 hour ago, SeaSomm said:

My inclination for an upcoming cruise would be to order a lot of fish and seafood dishes, but in my experience properly cooked fish is hard to come by in large-scale dining situations. It's usually overcooked and sometimes dry to the point of unpalatability. I should note that my preference is that fish be cooked "moist," or in the case of steak-type fish, rare. If the fish is dry or well done I will pass. Am I likely to be disappointed by Main Dining Room fish entrees?

Most of the fish I try at MDR, are overcooked.   Hope you get better experience than mine.

2 hours ago, Riley said:

(NOTE: this is all based on the older menus - won't be able to comment on the new ones until May) They usually do the salmon properly, especially if you request it medium-rare. The dover sole and snapper are both hit-or-miss. Shrimp are usually a bit mealy, though I've had some very good shrimp dishes. The fish and chips is just cod and has been good every time I've tried it.

If you're on a ship that has it, "Hooked" is also hit-or-miss - i was terrific on "Symphony" and awful on "Wonder."  Good luck!

No Hooked on my ship. Looks like Chops has a grilled branzino, which should be safe. Think I'll get that and avoid fish in the MDR.

I will try and answer this question using my experience as a former chef and my limited cruise experience (only sailed 6 times - twice on RCCL):

1. Fish is finicky.  Some fish can be overcooked and still delicious.  If you choose fish in the MDR, try choosing saucy fish dishes as the sauces help keep fish moist.

2. Specialty restaurant fish: Hooked is hit or miss.  The branzino from Wonderland and Jaime's Italian (I think - can't recall at the moment) was good.  We had it 3 times.  I don't like branzino but since they are mild, white fish, they take on flavors really well.  Unlike halibut, branzino seems to stay moist(er) even when slightly overcooked.  We have had great shrimp and calamari experiences at all of the specialty dining options.  The shellfish dishes from Chops were all okay.  Not great, not bad.  

3. MDR....Lobster is best during earlier dining times in my experience.  They aren't hurrying to fill orders like during peak times and you likely won't get undercooked or overcooked lobster.  Shrimp is sooooo hit or miss in the MDR.  Calamari, when served, is a miss in the MDR.

4. Fish N Ships. If you are cruising on a ship with this venue, all of the fish and chips (halibut, pollock, and fried lobster) are cooked to perfection.  Afterall, they deep fry it and once the batter is cooked, the fish comes out.  Unlikely to be overcooked.

3 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

I will try and answer this question using my experience as a former chef and my limited cruise experience (only sailed 6 times - twice on RCCL😞

1. Fish is finicky.  Some fish can be overcooked and still delicious.  If you choose fish in the MDR, try choosing saucy fish dishes as the sauces help keep fish moist.

2. Specialty restaurant fish: Hooked is hit or miss.  The branzino from Wonderland and Jaime's Italian (I think - can't recall at the moment) was good.  We had it 3 times.  I don't like branzino but since they are mild, white fish, they take on flavors really well.  Unlike halibut, branzino seems to stay moist(er) even when slightly overcooked.  We have had great shrimp and calamari experiences at all of the specialty dining options.  The shellfish dishes from Chops were all okay.  Not great, not bad.  

3. MDR....Lobster is best during earlier dining times in my experience.  They aren't hurrying to fill orders like during peak times and you likely won't get undercooked or overcooked lobster.  Shrimp is sooooo hit or miss in the MDR.  Calamari, when served, is a miss in the MDR.

4. Fish N Ships. If you are cruising on a ship with this venue, all of the fish and chips (halibut, pollock, and fried lobster) are cooked to perfection.  Afterall, they deep fry it and once the batter is cooked, the fish comes out.  Unlikely to be overcooked.

This is super helpful. Bummer about the calamari. I love it. But great news about fish and chips. I love that too. (I have actually encountered overcooked fish and chips. Correct frying is an art, so it's far from a given that it will be good.) We're in the earliest dining slot, so that bodes well. Do you know if the grilled branzino is served whole? That's how I really like it, not so much in filet form.

20 hours ago, SeaSomm said:

This is super helpful. Bummer about the calamari. I love it. But great news about fish and chips. I love that too. (I have actually encountered overcooked fish and chips. Correct frying is an art, so it's far from a given that it will be good.) We're in the earliest dining slot, so that bodes well. Do you know if the grilled branzino is served whole? That's how I really like it, not so much in filet form.

I don't know of any fish cooked and served whole on an RCCL cruise.  I had Branzino twice times, once from Chops (i Mistakenly thought it was Jamie's), and once at Wonderland.  They were both in filet form but very, very well cooked.

The calamari at Jamie's and Izumi were great. Just not from the MDR.