Table for 2

EddieC

Word of caution regarding 2-top dinner tables in the MDR...

Most of the MDR have the majority 2-tops configured so that, while a table for 2, they are jammed so close together that you might as well be sitting at a table for 4-6.  If you truly want a PRIVATE table for 2, I recommend you ask for that up front.  There usually aren't many such tables, so they generally are claimed very quickly.  We usually ask for a table for 2-top  along the "balcony" looking down on the big downstairs dining room or one of the few that are stuck in a corner or somewhere else, off by themselves.  If you do not ask for this, trust me, you will end up in one of the long lines of 2-tops that are strung together and absolutely NOT private.

5 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Word of caution regarding 2-top dinner tables in the MDR...

Most of the MDR have the majority 2-tops configured so that, while a table for 2, they are jammed so close together that you might as well be sitting at a table for 4-6.  If you truly want a PRIVATE table for 2, I recommend you ask for that up front.  There usually aren't many such tables, so they generally are claimed very quickly.  We usually ask for a table for 2-top  along the "balcony" looking down on the big downstairs dining room or one of the few that are stuck in a corner or somewhere else, off by themselves.  If you do not ask for this, trust me, you will end up in one of the long lines of 2-tops that are strung together and absolutely NOT private.

Ok. How do I do that? Do I leave a note when I make the reservation online or do I go see the head waiter when we board? 

On 2/22/2023 at 2:21 PM, EddieC said:

Ok. How do I do that? Do I leave a note when I make the reservation online or do I go see the head waiter when we board? 

Depending on how far out your cruise is, you can email rcldining@rccl.com. I requested a table for just the 3 of us (window if possible) and were given an emailed response confirming the table, but not the window part...we ended up exactly where @WAAAYTOOO mentioned...on the top floor of the MDR, right on the rail looking down at the other two floors, which was nice. It took a full month for the response, so if you don't hear from them before the cruise...then go ahead and talk to the MDR staff on boarding day. 

MTD guest will be sat a table for two but the odds of it being "private" is the problem. Even those tables along the railing like @WAAAYTOOO suggest still won't be too private. I always do MTD and am sat alone but tables are in close proximity so you won't have as much privacy as you would get in other restaurants. 

Is there a way to at least get a table for two?  I must be doing something wrong when I book.  Because we are always placed with a group despite asking for a table for two at booking.  Then we spend an hour stressing with the maitre d, to get it changed.

15 minutes ago, togo said:

Is there a way to at least get a table for two?  I must be doing something wrong when I book.  Because we are always placed with a group despite asking for a table for two at booking.  Then we spend an hour stressing with the maitre d, to get it changed.

With traditional dining I believe you have to be a party of 3 to automatically get a table not with others. Otherwise even with a request you may get stuck at a table for 8 with other randos. 

43 minutes ago, togo said:

If you have traditional dining, go to the dining room as soon as you board - don't wait until dinnertime. I add it to my list of booking entertaining, booking specialty dining as my priorities. There will be a line, but I have never not gotten what I requested when making the request right away. Maybe this is what you're already doing? If so, then for me, the only time spent is waiting in the line - once at the podium it's been taken care of quickly. That's been my experience anyway.

2 hours ago, FloatyBoaty said:

If you have traditional dining, go to the dining room as soon as you board - don't wait until dinnertime. I add it to my list of booking entertaining, booking specialty dining as my priorities. There will be a line, but I have never not gotten what I requested when making the request right away. Maybe this is what you're already doing? If so, then for me, the only time spent is waiting in the line - once at the podium it's been taken care of quickly. That's been my experience anyway.

Yes, that is what I have been doing.  But is that how it should be? Just seems like it should be done when booking.  Unless, I need to state it explicitly to have a table for two, which i can't remember if I've been doing.  

1 hour ago, togo said:

Yes, that is what I have been doing.  But is that how it should be? Just seems like it should be done when booking.  Unless, I need to state it explicitly to have a table for two, which i can't remember if I've been doing.  

I use a travel agent. I know she knows that that is our preference, but not sure how anything goes through the system until you are actually on the ship. I believe one of Matt's "first things to do" recommendations after boarding is to check out your table location, so that's how I just started getting in line to check. One time, while traveling solo, I did try out the group table thing. It was ok, but not for me. I now request single tables when I cruise solo as well. As people have mentioned, many of the 2-tops are so close together that sometimes you end up striking up a conversation with your neighbors, but at least you are not stuck doing dinner at their pace. 

Oh, and is that how it should be? No idea - they have way more experience at this than me. When you look at these boards and see that people are trying to join their parties together, switch times, (and nothing wrong with any of that) etc etc, it just seems like everything is still in motion until people board.

Edited by FloatyBoaty
add to reply