You can bid, but not book?

Bowen

While I was considering whether or not to bid on the SOVB on Allure for April 16 I was going to try to look at the price of just booking it as a mock booking. I couldn’t find the room anywhere, not under balcony, not under ocean view. Is there something I’m doing wrong or do they just keep some rooms back for people to bid on?

Whenever I get a Royal Up email, I always go back to the sailing to see what is actually available. On my last cruise, I could bid for oceanview or balcony (any category for both), but when I checked inventory, the only thing left was two Panoramic Oceanview rooms. Needless to say, I only bid on that room type and then dropped my bid when I saw them disappear a few weeks later from the inventory. 

15 minutes ago, Cactus527 said:

Whenever I get a Royal Up email, I always go back to the sailing to see what is actually available. On my last cruise, I could bid for oceanview or balcony (any category for both), but when I checked inventory, the only thing left was two Panoramic Oceanview rooms. Needless to say, I only bid on that room type and then dropped my bid when I saw them disappear a few weeks later from the inventory. 

Those panoramic ocean view are incredible!

Good Day,

I think any room could be available at the last minute for both cancelations and the waterfall effect. Say a GS cancels or is available and someone in JS has a RU then you have a JS available. Balcony then RUs to that room…This could go all over the place. I believe the vendor for Royal Up executes a program for this and it does a full cascade thru the rooms based on getting the best available return for the process. We generally give them a try unless we would be giving up a room we know for a potential unknown not so good location. If you really want the RU go for it, all they can say is no…

1 hour ago, Matt said:

This is one of the most confusing parts of RoyalUp. 

People see a bid opportunity and think there's a room available to upgrade to.

Yes, that was exactly my thinking. But when I think about it I realize there must be some algorithm based on historical cancellation/upgrade/rooms left trends. 

5 hours ago, Hoppy2BHere said:

Good Day,

I think any room could be available at the last minute for both cancelations and the waterfall effect. Say a GS cancels or is available and someone in JS has a RU then you have a JS available. Balcony then RUs to that room…This could go all over the place. I believe the vendor for Royal Up executes a program for this and it does a full cascade thru the rooms based on getting the best available return for the process. We generally give them a try unless we would be giving up a room we know for a potential unknown not so good location. If you really want the RU go for it, all they can say is no…

Believe that is what happened for us last cruise on Mariner.  We RU'ed into one of the newer Panaramic Ocean View rooms on deck 12 surrounding the spa.  I assume none of those were available on a nearly full sailing so someone probably won a balcony or higher.