Stateroom Attendant New Policy - Independence

16 hours ago, MTNeedsAVacay said:

On Harmony now and our room attendant told us they are going to single daily service starting next sailing (2/26). He currently services 18 cabins on this sailing (twice daily service) and will have 24 cabins next week with single daily service

Once a day is fine for me as long as I have clean towels before I want to shower and the trash emptied.  I make my bed as soon as we get up anyway; however, I do want ice in the morning plus some for my wine bucket.  I will request (if I can) that I get my single daily service in the morning sometime.  Hopefully on day one they will introduce themself and I can get my request in or find out where I can ice myself.  We aren't high maintenance so if I can get it myself, then I have no issues with that.

35 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Where did this rumor come from that they were ending the ice shows ?  I don't believe it.

The OP (one off poster) mentioned no ice show on their sailing (and maybe implied all ice show were cancelled) but no way are Royal getting rid of the ice shows when so many ships have the ice surface.

Hopefully its just a temporary situation for the Ice Show. I think the show on Independence is my favorite of the ones I've seen so far (Oasis, Freedom, Harmony, Voyager, and Independence). 

I suppose they could be getting rid of it on Independence because it is only running 3/4 day sailings anyway and maybe they think they have enough entertainment options without it. I think they would lose at least some of the back to back cruises and local regulars from the Orlando area with that kind of change though. 

24 minutes ago, egd207 said:

I'm sorry - I didn't mean to "stir the pot".  Just make a comment and then it went sideways.  Never had an intention to state it was happening, just that I hoped it would not.

No problem....my post wasn't directed at you but referred to the OP ( original poster) IronyOTS. 😃 Ice show last month on Oasis was great by the way.

On 2/24/2023 at 8:41 AM, JessD0708 said:

Hi. How does that work when traveling with children and using the pull out couch as a bed? Normally they fold it up for us in the morning and then unfold it in the evening. Do we have to work around the couch always being pulled out or do we put it away ourself? 

We put ours away every morning (I do it). That way I can shower then move to the desk area to put on any makeup I’m going to wear and dry my hair while the kids do their bathroom stuff. It’s very easy, takes 30 seconds. 

5 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Have any other cruisers seen or heard of the once-a-day room attending?

Our stateroom attendant on Anthem earlier this month told us they were going to once a day service in April.  He said special requests would be honored.  

*le sigh*

I don't think I'd mind it as the main benefit we'd have to the morning cleaning to take away the breakfast plates and fresh ice but I do hope we can request AM or PM.

PM comes with the towel animal, cruise compass, fresh bath linens, and mom prefers the ice at night anyway.

It does maybe kind of suck that they're getting more rooms though. I know on paper it should be the same amount of work but I feel like in practice it's more since 2 cleanings in 12 rooms only meant 12 families vs 24 families with varying schedules, questions, needs etc.

I assume that as they are increasing the number of rooms each attendant has to cover they'll be reducing the number of attendants. That concerns me more than only having the room serviced once a day, the attendants work hard to support their families at home, sadly a significant number of them may be looking for alternative employment.

5 hours ago, Mike.s said:

I assume that as they are increasing the number of rooms each attendant has to cover they'll be reducing the number of attendants. That concerns me more than only having the room serviced once a day, the attendants work hard to support their families at home, sadly a significant number of them may be looking for alternative employment.

Plenty of people work hard in this country and others as well to support families. It's never great when people get downsized out of work. They are not unique.

22 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Have any other cruisers seen or heard of the once-a-day room attending?

I heard it was coming back in December and that was confirmed by several of my stateroom attendants.  

I've been on 2 cruises in December, 1 in January and 1 in February.  So far, I haven't actually experienced once per day service.

22 minutes ago, NotPayinExtra said:

Plenty of people work hard in this country and others as well to support families. It's never great when people get downsized out of work. They are not unique.

Reduced staff yes, but they are unable to hire the staff as easily as in the past (so I don't think its intentional (yet))    If the line discovers they can maintain guest satisfaction with less, of course they will feel no pressure to increase.  If service is noticeably degraded, and they see increased guest dissatisfaction, they would move to fix the issue.     Those with more cruises under their belt will notice, but first timers will not know the difference.   Let's see what happens over time.

5 hours ago, Mike.s said:

I worry about this too.  We were on NCL in January on the Pride of America Hawaii cruise and they only did once a day and we had to walk way down halls to get towels to shower a couple of times.  I like to have ice morning and evening so that may be an issue (unless I can get that myself-which I don't mind doing). However, I do expect to have clean towels to shower before dinner and get the trash emptied.  I make my bed anyway as soon as we get up just like we do at home.  Hopefully, our steward will introduce themself to us day one and we can get on the same game plan. 

I am just happy they will ask; I don't need morning service; I actually hate it because I request ice and they always only bring in the morning. 

I know some people who cruise often, and a lot, will hate the changes because they might feel the luxury of cruising has gone down more. Meaning a reduction in tips for the crewmembers and complaints in service. 

I truly have no problem with once-daily service.  AMoF, I prefer it.  It seems like we are constantly having to worry about getting out of the room (particularly in the mornings) so that the attendant can service it.  Unlike many (I suppose), we love being in our room and spend a lot of time there.  We rarely get off the ship and since we have seen all or most of the production shows many times, we rarely go to those either.

Personally, I think that the idea of the attendant having to mix day and evening service is going to be a Charlie Foxtrot.  Having to keep up with who wants what, when is a logistical nightmare and seems destined to fail….especially if they increase the number of rooms that each attendant services.  I guess time will tell…

24 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I truly have no problem with once-daily service.  AMoF, I prefer it.  It seems like we are constantly having to worry about getting out of the room (particularly in the mornings) so that the attendant can service it.  Unlike many (I suppose), we love being in our room and spend a lot of time there.  We rarely get off the ship and since we have seen all or most of the production shows many times, we rarely go to those either.

Personally, I think that the idea of the attendant having to mix day and evening service is going to be a Charlie Foxtrot.  Having to keep up with who wants what, when is a logistical nightmare and seems destined to fail….especially if they increase the number of rooms that each attendant services.  I guess time will tell…

I agree, I don't find a lot of benefit to twice a day.  That said, their cash tip is gonna get slashed too.  Cover that under Not-My-Problem.

15 minutes ago, Wheeler825 said:

I agree, I don't find a lot of benefit to twice a day.  That said, their cash tip is gonna get slashed too.  Cover that under Not-My-Problem.

I'm with the once a day is generally enough crowd.  It'll only impact the additional cash tip I give if it impacts my ability to enjoy the cabin the way I'm accustomed in a significant way.  Otherwise, I'll tip the same.

I, like others, worry about the little things like fresh buckets of ice.

I'm not going to borrow trouble on it, I'll wait and see.

40 minutes ago, Xaa said:

I'm with the once a day is generally enough crowd.  It'll only impact the additional cash tip I give if it impacts my ability to enjoy the cabin the way I'm accustomed in a significant way.  Otherwise, I'll tip the same.

I, like others, worry about the little things like fresh buckets of ice.

I'm not going to borrow trouble on it, I'll wait and see.

I struggle with the amount these people must be making.  Skip a normal salary, if everyone tips $20 cash for a week on 20 cabins, thats $480 US per week, on TOP of their normal wages.  I suspect most people tip more, I left $100.  Should they be making $2400/week+whatever they get on contract? I doubt it.

For me, it isn't about what they are making.  I normally LOVE the service I receive and the extra tip reflects that feeling.  I don't care if they are earning the same as I earn or even more.

The included tip is more of their salary supplement to me and the cash I hand out is like a traditional, old style tip for great service.  Makes them feel good, makes me feel good.

Certainly respect you deciding what you want to do with that $100.

52 minutes ago, Wheeler825 said:

I struggle with the amount these people must be making.  Skip a normal salary, if everyone tips $20 cash for a week on 20 cabins, thats $480 US per week, on TOP of their normal wages.  I suspect most people tip more, I left $100.  Should they be making $2400/week+whatever they get on contract? I doubt it.

More than I make a week after taxes. LOL

On 2/27/2023 at 4:12 PM, CrimsonCruiser said:

*le sigh*

I don't think I'd mind it as the main benefit we'd have to the morning cleaning to take away the breakfast plates and fresh ice but I do hope we can request AM or PM.

PM comes with the towel animal, cruise compass, fresh bath linens, and mom prefers the ice at night anyway.

It does maybe kind of suck that they're getting more rooms though. I know on paper it should be the same amount of work but I feel like in practice it's more since 2 cleanings in 12 rooms only meant 12 families vs 24 families with varying schedules, questions, needs etc.

Good luck in getting a Cruise Compass.  We just cruised on Oasis and Wonder and they are "going green".  It's on the app but what we found was the app responded differently if you got the free texting version from RC or paid for the Voom internet.

Our room attendant left a Cruise Compass every night once we asked him.  We talked to many first time cruisers on both ships and they were lost on where to go and what was going on.  We found one example where the Love & Marriage game show was listed on the paper Cruise Compass but was not listed for the entire evening on the app.  I love having the paper version as I write notes including names of crew members so I can include it in the survey.