Power Strips and beverages.

Are power strips allowed? I'm reading some places that they are not and some say they are as long as they are not a "surge protector" Are they allowed? I"m also hearing that while the policy is that you can't bring your own beverages on board, that NCL personal look the other way when it comes to stashing drinks (non alcoholic that is) in your checked baggage. Does anyone know that to be the case? Thanks 

13 hours ago, Matt said:

By the way, this thread topic will be the name of my punk cruise rock band's first album, "Power Strips and beverages".

Laughing pretty hard right now.  My friends and I spent more time coming up with band, song, and album names than actually writing songs.  Needless to say I never quit my day job.

• 9 months later...

Everyone on the January 28th sailing of the Oasis not only had theirs confiscated from their checked bags, but rather than just take them and leave you a note like most lines do.. you had to go to security and wait in line to take it out of your own suitcase.  Ridiculous if you ask me!  Those that had power strips in their carry on bag were NOT taken.  Thank you FireGal for the Belkin you posted.  I'm going to see if I can get one of those on my next Royal cruise.  

Power strip - Depends on the type of powerstrip, the ship, the cruise, the level of vigilance and how you pack it. We have taken the same powerstrip on almost 20 cruises. It has been taken a couple of times, it has not been taken the rest of the time. One time taken was on one of the oldest ships in the fleet and they explained that they were extremely vigilant because of the old/overloaded power system on the ship. The other was a springbreak cruise and again they were on high alert looking for other items and snagged it while they were there.

In general if it goes in carryon they aren't likely to take it, if it goes in checked luggage, more likely.

Carryon beverages - Again mileage varies by ship, sailing and the level of random atmospheric noise. Officially, no you cant take beverages on board. Unofficially many people have reported being able to take non-alcoholic beverages on board, some as openly as taping a luggage tag to a case of water and having it taken by porters, others by sticking it in a suitcase. I would summarize as you are welcome to try it, understanding that your case of "insert beverage name here" may be confiscated and if it is please don't kick up a fuss as they are correct in stating that it is supposed to be confiscated.

15 minutes ago, Kurtp13 said:

I was ready to get this Belkin model noted above from Amazon and paused.   It appears to be a surge protector also.   I like the configuration but I am going to look for another option.  I'd hate to plan on using it and having it held from me.

If the electronics you're looking to plug in are dual voltage you can use the european outlet with a cheap adapter and get an extra outlet or two that way.  You can also use a USB charger with multiple ports if looking to charge phones, tablets, watches, etc (this can reduce how much you need to pack, too).  This may help explain your options and the reasoning: http://www.cruisehabit.com/power-strips-why-theyre-not-allowed-ships-and-how-safely-gain-some-extra-outlets