departing Galveston - Hobby airport

Jess4214

The buses to the airport left about 8:15 when we disembarked in December.  Thus, you could make it. However, Royal recommends allowing 3 hours.  Our bus was headed to IAH, but it actually had to turn around to pick up an extra passenger.  You never know when you will run across a weird traffic issue.

If everything is on time and there are no accidents on the roads it can be done.  Keep in mind Galveston has fog issues certain times of the year and there is a lot of tanker traffic.  If a tanker run aground they can close the port.  

When I had high elite status with my airline and I was alone I might try this sort of thing knowing my airline takes care of top elite and will accommodate me on a later flight.  That privilege doesn't extent to others I travel with so it's less appealing to be daring when travelling with others.  

This spa provides a distinctive and inclusive atmosphere with shemale therapists, ensuring a comfortable and welcoming experience for everyone. If you're seeking to enhance your natural beauty, you can conveniently purchase Juvederm fillers online from https://dkdermal.com/juvederm/ website.

As others have mentioned, 11am for Hobby should be doable, but dicey.

I once watched as Liberty docked at 10am due to a medical emergency delay.

Also, they are doing extensive road work on I45 between Galveston and Hobby airport.  Occasionally, this means I45 can be completely shut down for a weekend.

I'd choose a later flight and watch Houston media for road closure information. abc13.com is pretty good about publishing major road closures.

I'd be stressed.Are you taking the RCL transfer or getting a taxi/Uber? Last time we went to IAH, we were on one of first buses that left at 8:30 ish and it was around 10:10 when we got to the airport.By the time we got to the the gate it was around 11:30. We did hit stop and go traffic on the I45. One additional thing with the RCL transfer, on the one we were on they just threw everybodies luggage randomly in bottom. Not sure how many drop off locations Hobby has, but at IAH we were fortunate to be the first dropped off. The driver had to take out 1/2 the luggage so everybody at that drop off could get theirs, it took us about 15 minutes, but there were still people waiting and the driver would have had to reload the bus.

Hi everyone. Thank you so much for your great advice. It's our first time visiting Galveston and I didn't even consider the fog and traffic delays that can add to what would be an already stressful morning. Definitely not the way to end a cruise! Since there isn't any good options for us to fly later in the afternoon, we've decided to stay an extra day. Since we have small kiddos we're thinking of checking out the Nasa Space Center or some other kid friendly activities 🙂

12 hours ago, Jess4214 said:

Hi everyone. Thank you so much for your great advice. It's our first time visiting Galveston and I didn't even consider the fog and traffic delays that can add to what would be an already stressful morning. Definitely not the way to end a cruise! Since there isn't any good options for us to fly later in the afternoon, we've decided to stay an extra day. Since we have small kiddos we're thinking of checking out the Nasa Space Center or some other kid friendly activities 🙂

This is what I would do, too. Allow plenty of time to get to the airport on Monday. My kids loved Space Center Houston when they were young.

I haven't cruised near as much as some on the board. I have never arrived late on disembarkation day. But I don't like to chance it - way too stressful. Even in FLL where you could see the ship from the airport because it was so close, I did not want to chance it. The flights were early or 6 pm. We took an excursion to see the aligators and got to the airport so early that we could not even check in.  But I would do it all over again not to have the stress of missing our flight.

16 hours ago, Jess4214 said:

That's great!  You'll find several good hotels near the space center and I think you'll enjoy yourself.

16 hours ago, Jess4214 said:

Fog delays really aren't that frequent. But when the do happen, it can really be stressful.