Room 7054 on Jewel of the Sea - not ocean wave view!

Martin65

25 minutes ago, Martin65 said:

Just checked into our paid balcony room for ocean waves and views. Do not rent  7054 or others on this deck level. Life raft structure hinders view of the ocean waves. Very disappointing and we have 7 more nights at this premium balcony rate. False advertising!!!

Sorry this happened to you.  The deck plans on Royal’s site do list this an obstructed view. If you didn’t use a TA this time,mid suggest using one in the future. A good TA can help to avoid things like this.  Good luck!

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/jewel-of-the-seas/deck-plans/2144/07

image.thumb.png.0ace0da43bb79db451bcf48c22553316.png

Since this is their first post, feeling it's a hit-and-run.

But to give them the benefit of the doubt, while the room is marked as obstructed in the booking system, Royal has you scroll to the bottom of available cabins, click on the tiny "View deck map key" to display what the deck plan symbols mean, and those icons and accompany text are small. There's nothing notifying that the cabin's view is obstructed in a manner for someone who's not thinking about what they're seeing is going to investigate. 

Lil Icon.jpg

14 hours ago, Rackham said:

There's nothing notifying that the cabin's view is obstructed in a manner for someone who's not thinking about what they're seeing is going to investigate. 

They list if the cabin has an obstructed view in the very first section of your booking confirmation & invoice, too.  Sorry to blunt, but I can neither fathom nor excuse spending thousands of dollars on a vacation and then not even glance over my invoice.

Screen Shot 2023-02-18 at 11.16.45 AM.png

We used AAA Travel to book Cuba cruise on Empress back in 2019. We had two cabins with 2 adults in each.  The agent neglected to explain that there were drop down bunks on either side that would be in our way for 5 nights, when she could have just made sure we were in cabins that didn’t have those features. That was one of 2-3 “hiccups” that ensured we’d never use AAA again.

The real point in my reply in is now is that even though we now use MEI, I still look through every bit of info I can before agreeing to the cabin they offer.

I lastly, while I am the opposite of a conspiracy theorist, something about the number of these random cruising issues that get raised by one-and-done posters makes me think there are motives beyond the face value of at least some of these posts. Just my opinion.

16 minutes ago, FoxboroCruiser said:

I lastly, while I am the opposite of a conspiracy theorist, something about the number of these random cruising issues that get raised by one-and-done posters makes me think there are motives beyond the face value of at least some of these posts. Just my opinion.

I agree with 100% of this.

tumblr_6bbc44c27f94f7066cc689509758a477_fddfe38c_250.gif

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 9:13 PM, Rackham said:

Since this is their first post, feeling it's a hit-and-run.

But to give them the benefit of the doubt, while the room is marked as obstructed in the booking system, Royal has you scroll to the bottom of available cabins, click on the tiny "View deck map key" to display what the deck plan symbols mean, and those icons and accompany text are small. There's nothing notifying that the cabin's view is obstructed in a manner for someone who's not thinking about what they're seeing is going to investigate. 

Lil Icon.jpg

True. You get it. Thanks. You rent a balcony to get the view. 

A tip I'd like to offer for the future is to go onto cruisedeckplans.com and look for photos or videos of the room or a similar one near it on the same deck.  Most people who post photos or video will include views from the balcony so you can make a reasonable assessment.  I realize that this does not help you at all, but it's a good way to get a handle on what your room will be like before you book it.