Seapass cash vs credit vs debit- Please help!

I have a question that seems simple but I've called Royal Caribbean and got two different answers. We sail on the Allure on a 7 night cruise in two weeks. We're trying to plan and figure out how to set out our Seapass cards.

We would prefer to use cash but the site says there is a deposit to set up a cash account. When we sailed a 4 day cruise on Enchantment two years ago, we set up a cash account and did not have to pay a deposit at all. My husband and I both called RC and he was told we had to put down $500 per room, and when I called, I was told there is no cash deposit required.

If we choose credit or debit card, do they put a hold on at first (like a predetermined amount like $200, 500$ etc) or do they put the authorization holds on daily? I understand the cards aren't actually charged until the end of the cruise, but holds would still come off the available credit. Even if we ended up putting cash on our account, the holds would be there until they fall off. Right?

Just trying to figure this out because I feel like we're getting different answers. We have a credit card we can use, but it doesn't have a huge limit. (500) We'll have the cash to use but were planning on using some from our direct deposit paychecks we get on day five of cruise. 

Any advice?

Using a debit card at the start would be unwise, as debit cards would incure a substantial hold immediately.  

What you could do is establish with a credit card, then at a certian day into the sailing, go to the desk and pay it down with a debit card. 

With credit card, I normally see various temp authorizations show up through out the seek, but nothing gets committed until the final bill.  

2 hours ago, RestingBirds said:

I haven't heard of a deposit for cash.  You can't put more than $500 cash into your ship account (wondering if that's what they meant with $500per room).  Maybe $500, then add to it if you spend it all.  Not sure.

Used our RC credit card last time, much easier.

RC credit card is the way to go. Double points for every $ spent  on board. 

1 minute ago, rjac said:

RC credit card is the way to go. Double points for every $ spent  on board. 

I'll disagree.  There are many other cards that offer you double-points on travel, not just limited to Royal, and offer other perks as well.

Since they don't "charge" your CC until the end of the cruise, just give them the card to charge with and then pay your bill in cash before the end of your cruise. Personally, we never use a debit card when traveling. It's just safer to use a credit card. If somebody gets hold of your CC numbers, at least you have some protection, from your CC issuer.