Luggage - (Mostly) Carry On

WannaCruise

When we went to Disney last summer, we did carry on only due to the mess at the airport.  It was manageable since we were going from hot location (Toronto in summer) to hot location (Orlando in summer).  Plus, for the parks, we didn't need evening clothes and additional shoes outside of walking sandals.  Moreover, Disney provides good shampoo/conditioner and hairdryer (my requirement).

I always thought there's no way we could do that for a cruise as you have evening wear, more shoes, clothes for inside when cool (e.g. theatre is cold), need my own hairdryer, toiletries, etc.  Moreover, we are leaving from cold climate (Toronto in March) to "who knows" (Florida can still be cool in evenings in March).

DH and I went on a cruise in December and checked in luggage.  We were fine, but got really lucky as the airport was a mess and you heard stories of people with lost luggage. This was more due to weather vs lack of staff due to covid, but still.

I remember @Lovetocruise2002 saying they did mostly carryon, but checked in one piece.  This seems like a great compromise.  DD is worried of losing her clothes so wants to do carryon and we're seriously thinking of doing the same where most of our day stuff is in our carryon.  If the checked luggage doesn't make it, then will hit Publix for toiletries when we get there and will make do for evenings, etc.

Of course, the one downside is that we will have to lug around carry on for the first few hours when we board.  (We have a boarding time of 10:30am)

Anyone else considering carry on (either all, or mostly)?  Or will it be a real pain  when we board?

Lots of folks do it.  I think you'll be ok with your airline checked bags, but understand your worry with them lately.  Remember, just because you carried it on the plane doesn't mean you need to carry it on the cruise.  You can still check those bags with the porters and just carry your valuables and passports.

35 minutes ago, Xaa said:

Lots of folks do it.  I think you'll be ok with your airline checked bags, but understand your worry with them lately.  Remember, just because you carried it on the plane doesn't mean you need to carry it on the cruise.  You can still check those bags with the porters and just carry your valuables and passports.

We almost feel like if we've gone to all that trouble to use carry ons for the flight, then we should do the same when boarding the cruise.  It's still stressful waiting for your luggage hoping it's outside your stateroom.

How much luggage you take and how you pack it depends upon how you want to enjoy the cruise.  Since we are casually retired at home, we want to dress up on a cruise.  Others are just the opposite as they must dress up for work, etc.  So your clothes choice will determine suitcase size.  We have never lost luggage getting onto the ship, only off the ship (so we carry off).  Because luggage may arrive after dinner (our experience is that is 10% of the time), I wear slacks onto the ship with shorts/swimsuit in my backpack carryon.  We give just about everything else to the porters.  Whatever you choose, have a great cruise!

41 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

How much luggage you take and how you pack it depends upon how you want to enjoy the cruise.  Since we are casually retired at home, we want to dress up on a cruise.  Others are just the opposite as they must dress up for work, etc.  So your clothes choice will determine suitcase size.  We have never lost luggage getting onto the ship, only off the ship (so we carry off).  Because luggage may arrive after dinner (our experience is that is 10% of the time), I wear slacks onto the ship with shorts/swimsuit in my backpack carryon.  We give just about everything else to the porters.  Whatever you choose, have a great cruise!

Aside from our son (teenage boy!), we like to dress for dinner, but these are most likely clothes that are candidates for the checked luggage.  Can understand wanting to just wear slacks since as you say, sometimes luggage can arrive after dinner.  We once had ours way down the hall but still got to us.  

We have used the mostly carry on and only one checked bag strategy for many years now. It was that strategy that saved us last March when we did lose our luggage. This is what we take with 4 of us:

1 - large backpack per person (that is our personal item for the plane); I use my Beis bag instead of the backpack

1 - 21 inch rolling luggage per person (we carry this on the plane with us)

1 - 29 inch rolling luggage (shared between all) that we check, this one large suitcase carries our toiletries that are too large to carry on and Hubby/kid shoes, plus our formal/evening wear

At the hotel, we re-organize a bit and we tag 3 suitcases (the 29 inch, and two 21 inch ones) with our cruise luggage tags to give to the porter. We only take on our backpacks/Beis bag and two 21 inch rollers. That way we are not dragging around as much when we wait for staterooms to open.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We have used the mostly carry on and only one checked bag strategy for many years now. It was that strategy that saved us last March when we did lose our luggage. This is what we take with 4 of us:

1 - large backpack per person (that is our personal item for the plane); I use my Beis bag instead of the backpack

1 - 29 inch rolling luggage (shared between all) that we check, this one large suitcase carries our toiletries that are too large to carry on and Hubby/kid shoes, plus our formal/evening wear

At the hotel, we re-organize a bit and we tag 3 suitcases (the 29 inch, and two 21 inch ones) with our cruise luggage tags to give to the porter. We only take on our backpacks/Beis bag and two 21 inch rollers. That way we are not dragging around as much when we wait for staterooms to open.

Thank you for sharing .  That sounds like a good plan. DD is very nervous losing her clothes as she purchased some with her gift card money (and a teenager loves her clothes...lol).  So I can see her wanting to still hold onto her carry on, but I like your idea of checking in a couple of them so less to carry around on the ship.  We also take a backpack per person which has things like electronics, medicine, books, stuff for the plane, etc

That brings up a good question as that sounds like a good plan. Is there a maximum number of bags you can give the porters?  

Dh and I both have rolling carry-on bags w/ telescoping handles. My backpack then also has a space on the back where it slips over the handle of the rolling carry-on. This set up makes it easy-peasy to travel around the ship between boarding time and being able to access your room.

(We drove to the port for our cruise last week and in addition to our backpacks and rolling carry-ons we also had multiple bags that we handed over to the porters. 🙃)

43 minutes ago, minniemouse27 said:

Dh and I both have rolling carry-on bags w/ telescoping handles. My backpack then also has a space on the back where it slips over the handle of the rolling carry-on. This set up makes it easy-peasy to travel around the ship between boarding time and being able to access your room.

(We drove to the port for our cruise last week and in addition to our backpacks and rolling carry-ons we also had multple bags that we handed over to the porters. 🙃)

DH does that.  Very handy to be able to fit the backpack on top of the carry on.

Definitely helps if you can drive to the port so you don't need to worry about the airport losing your luggage.

19 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

DH does that.  Very handy to be able to fit the backpack on top of the carry on.

Definitely helps if you can drive to the port so you don't need to worry about the airport losing your luggage.

This was our eighth cruise and the very first we could drive to (1.5 hrs). It was blissfully easy and we are doing it again next year! 🙂

3 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I don't think so. I am always shocked at the number of suitcases some families pile on lol

I’ve never seen a listed number limit, but I do remember seeing in the travel documents something about only brining “what its reasonable for the cruise”. Who’s to say what’s reasonable?  We just used that line to give my father in law grief about his 14 pairs of shorts he took for a 7 night trip 🙂

Kinda late to the party, but for our party of two adults we pack as follows:

1 each  “carry on bags” that we check with the airline(Southwest) and give to the porters. These bags contain all our clothes, toiletries, etc..

1 small under seat roller bag. This contains my CPAP machine and medical needs

1 backpack. This contains my tablet, maybe a camera, the travel docs, passports, charging needs etc…

1 small purse.  I’m too scared to ask what she puts in that 🙂

It does get tougher when you are changing climates, but we survive.  

this is how we pack for any trip up to a week”ish”. We have a two week trip to Europe planned and currently we plan to pack the same, but add 1 rolling garment bag for the fancy clothes.

On cruises we don’t dress up. On formal nights I wear the same jeans and a polo shirt each time. For the casual/Caribbean, etc… nights I wear my shorts and t shirt(and ignore the stares 🙂 )

8 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Which Beis bag do you use?

9 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

Which Beis bag do you use?

Well…I am now the happy owner of the Weekender, the convertible weekender, the 21 inch roller, the Dopp kit, the cosmetics case, and my daughter just recently got the Backpack. I have a small Beis problem, I know. 😉

I also use the East to West tote for work lol

18 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

OMG I guess I am a SERIOUS light packer!  One 25 inch & 2 21” for three adults plus my large handbag & one small duffle that fits under the seat.  3 bags get checked.  I have documents and meds in my handbag and the duffle has, well, wine!

55 minutes ago, Pooch said:

OMG I guess I am a SERIOUS light packer!  One 25 inch & 2 21” for three adults plus my large handbag & one small duffle that fits under the seat.  3 bags get checked.  I have documents and meds in my handbag and the duffle has, well, wine!

That's impressive!  We're definitely the opposite and in normal cases, take 3 suitcases for 2 adults and 2 kids + backpacks.  For me though, the toiletries take up a lot. This time, will be trying 1 suitcase to check and the carryons + backpacks.