New menus

Stephen M

44 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

They tend to change per sailing. The only absolutes are welcome aboard and Frecn night being on the first formal/dress your best night. 

Ok because on my app it is showing Caribbean night as the 1st formal on day 2.

I was planning on a specialty dining on that night and I do not want to miss Caribbean night, but I can skip French, Mexican and Italian nights.

3 hours ago, Jolly Ogre said:

Any updates as to what night is which menu or do they change per sailing? Also what is the format for an 8 day sailing... I tried to use the app but is shows day 8 as venue is closed.

You could take a look at the menus on the current Enchantment sailing in the app. That's an 8-night sailing and would at least give you a rough idea, although as @Ampurp85 says they can change from sailing to sailing. I remember reading somewhere that on sailings to the Caribbean and/or Mexico, supposedly Caribbean night is should be on the day of your first Caribbean port of call and Mexican night on the day of your first call in Mexico. Whether that is actually happening, I can't say.

Sailed on Anthem the second week of February, just after they started the new menu. They seemed to have temperature-control issues. Had French Onion Soup the second evening. Burned my tongue and roof of my mouth on it, so it was hard to enjoy the food for the next several days. Apparently, the crock bowl and the complete cheese cover held the boiling hot heat in. The head of dinning came to my table and told me they must make it extra hot or they are criticized by the Europeans… They should warn us uncultured Americans before we scald ourselves. French Onion Soup is on the menu several times during the week.

I was informed that now you can order steak and prime rib ONLY either medium rare or medium well. The trouble is that the medium rare was mushy and bloody and extra rare every time. Ate a special lunch in Wonderland also and the steak was supposed to come from Chops. Same problem. Either their thermometers are wrong on the Anthem or the chef doesn’t know the correct temperature to prepare medium rare. The roast beef was cooked properly, however, and the seafood dishes were all very good.

On 2/14/2023 at 3:10 PM, melmar02 said:

Usually the last page of the survey is open to text entry. I include the details of standout crew in that section and also use it as a "suggestion box".

LOL!  We just got off the Radiance and had a LOT of (not so positive) comments to provide but the survey was there when we got home, then gone the next day.  

4 hours ago, FionaMG said:

I was just randomly browsing and spotted two more new menus on Brilliance's current sailing (she's doing a 14-night Panama canal), if anyone wants to have a look.

One is called "A taste of Royal history" and the other is "A taste of the world".

I need to do a longer cruise so I can sample all the menus

4 hours ago, FionaMG said:

I was just randomly browsing and spotted two more new menus on Brilliance's current sailing (she's doing a 14-night Panama canal), if anyone wants to have a look.

One is called "A taste of Royal history" and the other is "A taste of the world".

We're doing Radiance in a couple of weeks, 15 nights. So I did take a look at Brilliance's menus. World looks ok. History one doesn't live up to its name. In my opinion.  The items are not old Royal classics , which I'd consider historic ones. 

8 hours ago, barjpoe said:

We're doing Radiance in a couple of weeks, 15 nights. So I did take a look at Brilliance's menus. World looks ok. History one doesn't live up to its name. In my opinion.  The items are not old Royal classics , which I'd consider historic ones. 

It would be interesting to hear what you think of them, if you wouldn't mind sharing afterwards. 🙂

On 4/8/2023 at 2:26 PM, FionaMG said:

thanks for this! A taste of the USA has buffalo chicken dip and lobster Mac and cheese and I was thinking I would love this menu on a Caribbean itinerary.. Then DD started looking and saw the a taste of Asia and said we need to get on a cruise with this menu… glad to see the variations and hope they start switching things up on some of the itineraries. 😍

4 hours ago, Cruiser4Life said:

thanks for this! A taste of the USA has buffalo chicken dip and lobster Mac and cheese and I was thinking I would love this menu on a Caribbean itinerary.. Then DD started looking and saw the a taste of Asia and said we need to get on a cruise with this menu… glad to see the variations and hope they start switching things up on some of the itineraries. 😍

Totally agree with your DD. Out of all of the new menus, the taste of Asia one is the one I find most appealing. Guess I need to book a longer cruise too. 😂

We are on a Mediterrenean sailing on the 14th of May for 7 days out of Barcelona on the Symphony of the Seas. While doing the dinner reservations I noticed that we would not be served a lobster tail meal on Royal Night? Can anybody confirm that the Lobster Tail dish is out

I remember reading that they would only be serving one order for this dish, but when I checked the menu it was only available ala-carte for $16. Thats kinda sad. Can somebody confirm this?

8 hours ago, Jim the Titan said:

We are on a Mediterrenean sailing on the 14th of May for 7 days out of Barcelona on the Symphony of the Seas. While doing the dinner reservations I noticed that we would not be served a lobster tail meal on Royal Night? Can anybody confirm that the Lobster Tail dish is out

I remember reading that they would only be serving one order for this dish, but when I checked the menu it was only available ala-carte for $16. Thats kinda sad. Can somebody confirm this?

Lobster isn't that big of a deal in Europe. So I wouldn't bet on it. Probably you could buy the lobster tail.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/11/2023 at 2:54 AM, Jim the Titan said:

Lobster night is only on US sailings.  This is not new.

I posted on another thread that lobster night is only on sailings of 7N or more from the USA. No one reads and people keep coming in saying this Mediterranean/European cruise doesn't have a lobster night when they don't normally have one. Since the new menu have themes, it seems like the sailing will adhere to a theme based on itinerary.

7 hours ago, ColonelA said:

As an owner of a travel agency specializing in cruises, these new menus are a titanic disappointment. I have a group of 40 (including me and my wife) sailing soon on the Radiance … and I’m already dreading having to dine in the MDR. Am now very reluctant to recommend RCCL to anyone.

So you’ve not tried the menu and are already mad?

I sailed Radiance in April, the food was very good, way better than the larger ships.  I’m currently on Liberty and can say the same.   I’ve griped about chicken parm and chicken Marsala on the larger ships. Both were perfect this week on Liberty, so good that if I were inclined I’d have asked for seconds!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 8:44 AM, Dan Curtis said:

We also just returned from a cruise on the Jewel, awesome wait staff, but I believe the quality has dropped Fallen into a bottomless pit

@Dan Curtis FIFY.  

We just got off of the Quantum and the MDR is just bad.  We were shocked at how bad the quality of the food has become.

Anything with noodles - might as well be eating paste. Steaks overcooked, gristly. Ask for rare if you want at least a medium cooked steak otherwise expect well-done.  We did a few nights in the Windjammer to escape the poor quality of food from the MDR. 

Spring Rolls (listed plural) was just a single roll. Pad Thai was the worst thing I have ever had on any ship with any line ever and maybe the worst thing I have ever eaten anywhere.

On 6/8/2023 at 11:12 PM, Ampurp85 said:

I posted on another thread that lobster night is only on sailings of 7N or more from the USA. No one reads and people keep coming in saying this Mediterranean/European cruise doesn't have a lobster night when they don't normally have one. Since the new menu have themes, it seems like the sailing will adhere to a theme based on itinerary.

WTF!!!.... Ok so the app has updated and now I can see the menus for our 8 day December sailing on Symphony from Ft Lauderdale and there is no complimentary lobster on Royal night. The nights listed are as follows: Welcome Aboard, A Taste of France,  A Taste of the UK, A Taste of the Mediterranean, A Taste of Italy, Welcome to Bon Voyage, Welcome to Royal Night. Only breakfast listed for Day 8.

Royal Night main courses are: Lemon-Butter Baked Cod, Chicken Marsala, New York Strip Steak, Cottage Pie, Grilled Jumbo Shrimp,  Vegan Stuffed Red Bell Pepper, and Spicy Shrimp Jalfrezi. The only lobster offered is the $16.99 upcharge one or the $34.99 Surf & Turf.

What gives here?

18 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

WTF!!!.... Ok so the app has updated and now I can see the menus for our 8 day December sailing on Symphony from Ft Lauderdale and there is no complimentary lobster on Royal night. The nights listed are as follows: Welcome Aboard, A Taste of France,  A Taste of the UK, A Taste of the Mediterranean, A Taste of Italy, Welcome to Bon Voyage, Welcome to Royal Night. Only breakfast listed for Day 8.

Royal Night main courses are: Lemon-Butter Baked Cod, Chicken Marsala, New York Strip Steak, Cottage Pie, Grilled Jumbo Shrimp,  Vegan Stuffed Red Bell Pepper, and Spicy Shrimp Jalfrezi. The only lobster offered is the $16.99 upcharge one or the $34.99 Surf & Turf.

What gives here?

It's currently sailing the Med, so the menus being seen reflect that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off Explorer and the MDR food was very disappointing, particularly the red meat dishes: steak, roast, prime rib, etc. full of gristle, fat etc. people next to me ordered premium and had to send it back. 

On the other hand, the service was wonderful, which leaves me in a bind when I give my review to RC. I don’t want the staff to be penalized for food quality over which they have no control. 

On 2/14/2023 at 9:46 AM, Stephen M said:

Just returned from our 2nd trip on Oasis of the Seas. With a group of 10 of us.  We all are cruisers, and have had the luxury of the safe menu, in the past, for those of us that are picky eaters!  Half the group didn’t have a problem lacking the safe menu items on the daily dinner menus!  The other half, were disappointed, with the limited menu!  We felt the worst night was the Caribbean menu, where most of us were ok  with the menu. The food was very good, with a few exceptions.   But for me, when I had to eat Spaghetti Bolognese 3 nights, it was the cruise low light!  But one a universal opinion shared by all. It’s time to replace “Cats”, as the main highlight show!  The diving and Ice shows continue to impress.  But far and away, one performer deserve the highest praise. Lou Gazzarra, a former idol finalist was spectacular. So much so, we saw his show 2 nights in a row.  
 To sum up, it was a great trip for 10 of us! With few exceptions, the food issue was a nightly discussion, with half approving of the more limited menu. And other then “Cats”  which is now 30 minutes shorter with no intermission, it’s time to put that show to rest. Last time when it was 2 hours, a good portion never returned after the intermission.  It’s a Either “We loved it” or “Hated It” show!  

im thinking  if they tweek the menu a small bit for those of of us who are more picky about the food we enjoy, it would have made this trip spectacular. 

If they are picky eaters they can also order off the kids menu.  I know some of the stuff does seem a little disappointing on the choices.  Usually what I do is order extra of a appetizer and then just get the NY strip.  Then maybe get some pizza later at Sorrentos.

On 7/2/2023 at 2:14 AM, KDK said:

Just got off Explorer and the MDR food was very disappointing, particularly the red meat dishes: steak, roast, prime rib, etc. full of gristle, fat etc. people next to me ordered premium and had to send it back. 

On the other hand, the service was wonderful, which leaves me in a bind when I give my review to RC. I don’t want the staff to be penalized for food quality over which they have no control. 

See, I had the exact opposite experience on Voyager in June.

The food was good (breakfast and lunch moreso than dinner).  The service in the MDR, especially at dinner, was awful.  We had one lunch that took well over an hour on a sea day as well.