New menus

Stephen M

Just returned from our 2nd trip on Oasis of the Seas. With a group of 10 of us.  We all are cruisers, and have had the luxury of the safe menu, in the past, for those of us that are picky eaters!  Half the group didn’t have a problem lacking the safe menu items on the daily dinner menus!  The other half, were disappointed, with the limited menu!  We felt the worst night was the Caribbean menu, where most of us were ok  with the menu. The food was very good, with a few exceptions.   But for me, when I had to eat Spaghetti Bolognese 3 nights, it was the cruise low light!  But one a universal opinion shared by all. It’s time to replace “Cats”, as the main highlight show!  The diving and Ice shows continue to impress.  But far and away, one performer deserve the highest praise. Lou Gazzarra, a former idol finalist was spectacular. So much so, we saw his show 2 nights in a row.  
 To sum up, it was a great trip for 10 of us! With few exceptions, the food issue was a nightly discussion, with half approving of the more limited menu. And other then “Cats”  which is now 30 minutes shorter with no intermission, it’s time to put that show to rest. Last time when it was 2 hours, a good portion never returned after the intermission.  It’s a Either “We loved it” or “Hated It” show!  

im thinking  if they tweek the menu a small bit for those of of us who are more picky about the food we enjoy, it would have made this trip spectacular. 

1 hour ago, Stephen M said:

Just returned from our 2nd trip on Oasis of the Seas. With a group of 10 of us.  We all are cruisers, and have had the luxury of the safe menu, in the past, for those of us that are picky eaters!  Half the group didn’t have a problem lacking the safe menu items on the daily dinner menus!  The other half, were disappointed, with the limited menu!  We felt the worst night was the Caribbean menu, where most of us were ok  with the menu. The food was very good, with a few exceptions.   But for me, when I had to eat Spaghetti Bolognese 3 nights, it was the cruise low light!  But one a universal opinion shared by all. It’s time to replace “Cats”, as the main highlight show!  The diving and Ice shows continue to impress.  But far and away, one performer deserve the highest praise. Lou Gazzarra, a former idol finalist was spectacular. So much so, we saw his show 2 nights in a row.  
 To sum up, it was a great trip for 10 of us! With few exceptions, the food issue was a nightly discussion, with half approving of the more limited menu. And other then “Cats”  which is now 30 minutes shorter with no intermission, it’s time to put that show to rest. Last time when it was 2 hours, a good portion never returned after the intermission.  It’s a Either “We loved it” or “Hated It” show!  

im thinking  if they tweek the menu a small bit for those of of us who are more picky about the food we enjoy, it would have made this trip spectacular. 

Hi @Stephen M and welcome to the boards.

Thanks for your review. I'm glad to see you had a great cruise! 😊

Although I haven't personally experienced the new menus yet, I do agree with you that there should be a couple of "safe" items on the menu nightly. You don't even have to be a particularly picky eater, just someone who doesn't care much for "fancy" food and you're likely to run into a bit of trouble.

Did you think to mention this in your post-cruise survey? I think if enough cruisers hammer home the point, perhaps Royal will do an about-turn and add the safe items back in. It wouldn't be the first time they've caved to cruiser pressure.

2 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Did you think to mention this in your post-cruise survey? I think if enough cruisers hammer home the point, perhaps Royal will do an about-turn and add the safe items back in. It wouldn't be the first time they've caved to cruiser pressure.

Were can you put that comment in/on the survey. They only ask to acknowledge crew NOT the food.

We felt the worst night was the Caribbean menu. YRS, we had the Caribbean chicken - too spicy and way too much. Next time just going to get some of the appys.

French night (Formal) was ok had the beef though one member in my group her beef had too much gristle. Taste of Royal night (usually second  formal) Lobster was ok, maybe I had a small tail. Those are the only 3 meals I had in the MDR for dinner.  Not too impressed with the options. So we ate other places (not the WJ, 

FWIW I think RC is very aware of the current quality issues, I just don't know how much they can do about it besides overhauling their entire hiring structure. Quality of the food itself could partly due to what is available to them in the supply chain, but I think a larger reason is the inexperience/lack of staff. That will hopefully be fixed (or at least improve) over time.

3 hours ago, barjpoe said:

Were can you put that comment in/on the survey. They only ask to acknowledge crew NOT the food.

Usually the last page of the survey is open to text entry. I include the details of standout crew in that section and also use it as a "suggestion box".

26 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

Usually the last page of the survey is open to text entry. I include the details of standout crew in that section and also use it as a "suggestion box".

This!  I take pics of the name tags (because my memory sucks) and I'm sure to mention great crew members with a compliment.  I had one find me on a subsequent sailing and she mentioned she knew it was me (they hear anonymous results from their bosses) by the language that was used.  It was very reaffirming to know the survey DOES get back to the crew members when you mention their names.

I also take notes in my phone for those things that may have gone south that the cruise line should be aware of. 

1 hour ago, Pattycruise said:

This!  I take pics of the name tags (because my memory sucks) and I'm sure to mention great crew members with a compliment.  I had one find me on a subsequent sailing and she mentioned she knew it was me (they hear anonymous results from their bosses) by the language that was used.  It was very reaffirming to know the survey DOES get back to the crew members when you mention their names.

I also take notes in my phone for those things that may have gone south that the cruise line should be aware of. 

Me too! And also to make sure I spell their names correctly.

1 hour ago, Pattycruise said:

I take as pic of the names on the table #

We also just returned from a cruise on the Jewel, awesome wait staff, but I believe the quality has dropped, first night I had one of my favorite meals, prime rib, litterly could not hardly cut it, my wife's as well, I tried eating it, just finally ask for a peace of chicken, there was seven in our group, one couple on the third night went to windjammer to get a hamburger, main dining was just a little over half full that night, I personally don't care for Mexican food, don't care for new menus at all, but won't stop us from cruising. But gave high rating to wait crew.

Would like to know if anyone has sailed on more then 8 nights?  What were the themes?

It looks like that the 1st formal night will always be French & I would surmise that the last formal/dress you best/dress to impress (usually the next to last night) will Royal night which is when lobster is server.

and speaking of lobsters - what is anyone opinion?   

The funny thing is they really really did not want actual feedback on the new menus despite constantly asking how the food was. I totally understood this was the first week of the new menu on my sailing, and that just like a new restaurant there would be glitches. I dont even think they cared about the tips that much but there was obviously huge huge pressure to get good scores no matter what and we were told to overlook food problems because it was important to their futures to get good scores. This bothered my husband more than me-- I kinda came on with only moderate expectations of the food.

9 hours ago, barjpoe said:

and speaking of lobsters - what is anyone opinion?   

Speaking of lobsters... Aboard Navigator two weeks ago, the lobsters were small, but absolutely scrumptious.  Folks have been critical of the lobster for quite some time, but since I've never had a bad lobster aboard a ship, or mostly anywhere else, I think folks just have different opinions about lobster.  Truly, the most bland lobster I've ever eaten, was ashore in Maine during a Royal cruise a few years ago.  And that applied to two different restaurants.

And speaking of the end-of-cruise survey...  I did not really find a place where they asked, or I could answer, what my opinion was of the new menu.  I was originally defensive of the changes, but now not so much.  Again, on Navigator two weeks ago, we skipped the Main Dining Room on two nights, just because there was no comfort food on the menu.  And dessert?  Cheesecake is my Wife's favorite.  It was offered on only one night.  And on the nights that I thought the menu in the MDR was lacking, the Windjammer was also lacking.

Thank you all for your honest feedback.  On Facebook pages (RC Dining) if you criticize the food you are a picky eater and on the vegan page everyone hates the new menu.  I am skeptical. 

We are going to Alaska on Radiance July, 2024.  4 of the 7 are vegan or vegetarian.  DW hates eggplant and portabella mushrooms. That is 3 of the 7 vegan entrees she will not eat.  Since they will not allow any substitutions, what do we do?  Can my DW order an appetizer and just a plate of vegetables of the day?  Or does this fall into the mandate of NO SUBSTITUTIONS?  The vegan menu is extremely limiting.  Why not include a daily vegan Indian Curry with the same sauce as the curry of the day?  

Plenty of options for the rest of us (our 2 sons and me).  Our sons will be 27 and eat a lot.  DS2 will often have 3 - 4 helpings at dinner and burns off every calorie and is under weight  He has Autism and ADHD .  If they can order only 1 entre at a time, the waiter will be wearing out the carpet going back to the kitchen. 

The consistency of the food is a huge concern.   I want my food hot.  This is a food safety issue as well as taste.  2 servings of the same dish do not always taste the same when served at the same time.  Staffing and supply chain issues are real.  But quality is a management and training issue.  Don't blame the wait staff.   

I have messaged RC.  Hope it helps.  I also spoke with my travel agent who indicated she would talk to her contacts at RC. 

There is more to a vacation than food, but come on man.

• 2 weeks later...

Today is Day 6 aboard Symphony.

So far, we've only eaten in the MDR once on this cruise.

I've professed to not be critical of the menu changes, but it has changed the way we dine.  

French night and Mexican night doesn't interest me, so we skipped those nights.   And the other nights we skipped because of show conflicts.  Bottom line, it's become easy to create a reason to skip MDR.

Tonight is lobster night, so I won't miss that!

The other nights have all been in the Windjammer.  They had minute steaks  on day 2, which are my favorite food in the Windjammer.  Every other night I had hamburger patties and a hot dog.  Kind've a disappointing spread.  

We tried the hot dog stand on the Boardwalk.  They continue to drop the ball there too.  Overcooked and chewy hot dogs with dried out buns.  The mustard dispenser was empty and they argued with me over this. They came out and pumped it about 10 times, got it to squirt a little mustard and said see, it's not empty.  I immediately tried and it wouldn't work.  I told them I guessed they didn't want me to have any mustard.  That was good enough for them. I ate my hot dog plain, and 5 minutes later they changed out the mustard.  I don't know how they can justify needing to cut so many corners.

Okay, this is not just about mustard.  They are cutting corners, and if they continue it will bite them.

I did a 4 Day cruise on liberty about a week ago, and since it was short no lobster night.  I was open to giving the main dining room options a fair shake- and found it okay most nights but really struggled on Caribbean night.  I have copies of all the menus (again, just 4 nights) and not sure if there is someplace here to post or if that’s a violation but happy to share.   I heard from some of the works others found the Caribbean night especially challenging.  We skipped beef tenderloin night which is one of my favorites to have a dinner to celebrate my daughters 16th birthday at Giovannis.  I was also surprised Giovannis on Liberty was a completely difference experience from Giovannis on Wonder which we have been on twice. I guess one is regular Giovannis and on other Giovanni’s “table” or something like that.  I don’t know but the food was good, just now where near as good as Wonder.  

It challenging to go on any boat after enjoying all the amazing change to Wonder, but we do have Icon booked just 11 months away 🙂

50 minutes ago, WAYNO said:

Today is Day 6 aboard Symphony.

So far, we've only eaten in the MDR once on this cruise.

I've professed to not be critical of the menu changes, but it has changed the way we dine.  

French night and Mexican night doesn't interest me, so we skipped those nights.   And the other nights we skipped because of show conflicts.  Bottom line, it's become easy to create a reason to skip MDR.

Tonight is lobster night, so I won't miss that!

The other nights have all been in the Windjammer.  They had minute steaks  on day 2, which are my favorite food in the Windjammer.  Every other night I had hamburger patties and a hot dog.  Kind've a disappointing spread.  

We tried the hot dog stand on the Boardwalk.  They continue to drop the ball there too.  Overcooked and chewy hot dogs with dried out buns.  The mustard dispenser was empty and they argued with me over this. They came out and pumped it about 10 times, got it to squirt a little mustard and said see, it's not empty.  I immediately tried and it wouldn't work.  I told them I guessed they didn't want me to have any mustard.  That was good enough for them. I ate my hot dog plain, and 5 minutes later they changed out the mustard.  I don't know how they can justify needing to cut so many corners.

Okay, this is not just about mustard.  They are cutting corners, and if they continue it will bite them.

I couldn't let the mustard attitude slide. I wouldn't have stopped until I spoke to someone in authority. Not about the mustard, but the way it was handled. The cut backs, lack of quality, and poor customer service requires push back or nothing good will come of all this. I see I'm gonna save a fortune in tips in May. 

2 hours ago, BRETTB said:

I did a 4 Day cruise on liberty about a week ago, and since it was short no lobster night.  I was open to giving the main dining room options a fair shake- and found it okay most nights but really struggled on Caribbean night.  I have copies of all the menus (again, just 4 nights) and not sure if there is someplace here to post or if that’s a violation but happy to share.   I heard from some of the works others found the Caribbean night especially challenging.  We skipped beef tenderloin night which is one of my favorites to have a dinner to celebrate my daughters 16th birthday at Giovannis.  I was also surprised Giovannis on Liberty was a completely difference experience from Giovannis on Wonder which we have been on twice. I guess one is regular Giovannis and on other Giovanni’s “table” or something like that.  I don’t know but the food was good, just now where near as good as Wonder.  

It challenging to go on any boat after enjoying all the amazing change to Wonder, but we do have Icon booked just 11 months away 🙂

There are two types of Giovanni's: I actually like Giovanni's Italian Kitchen, on new ships like Wonder and Odyssey but loath Giovanni's table, on older ships like Liberty, Grandeur and the first couple of Oasis ships.

3 hours ago, BRETTB said:

found it okay most nights but really struggled on Caribbean night.  I have copies of all the menus (again, just 4 nights) and not sure if there is someplace here

Yes, we went on Carib night cause we couldn't get into Sabor. The Caribbean chicken was too spicy for us. Next time will go with appys , French onion soup and dessert.

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

There are two types of Giovanni's: I actually like Giovanni's Italian Kitchen, on new ships like Wonder and Odyssey but loath Giovanni's table, on older ships like Liberty, Grandeur and the first couple of Oasis ships.

Agreed! The Italian Kitchen is the best specialty restaurant aboard any Royal Ship IMO. And being able to order the full menu at the bar at the adjacent Giovanni's wine bar is the best......I loved sitting in the bar with a glass of wine, ordering an appetizer and relaxing...away from the family...ALONE......LOL

1 hour ago, Cruiser4Life said:

Agreed! The Italian Kitchen is the best specialty restaurant aboard any Royal Ship IMO. And being able to order the full menu at the bar at the adjacent Giovanni's wine bar is the best......I loved sitting in the bar with a glass of wine, ordering an appetizer and relaxing...away from the family...ALONE......LOL

I think of the meatball Gigante often.......ooooooh and the polenta and calamari......the garlic knots. My Jan Wonder sailing can't come fast enough.

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Anyone have any thoughts on british night,  which is tomorrow night for this cruise? There's like 4 things I want to try 

The leek & potato soup was good, as was the roast beef. The sticky toffee pudding was decent although not very authentic.

I was not looking forward to British night, but I loved the fish and chips!

I had the goat cheese tart, which needed more goat cheese but was otherwise good, the delicious fish and chips, and the trifle (tolerable, but would not get again), the sticky toffee pudding (good) and the no sugar added chocolate mousse (surprisingly good considering it was no sugar added) for dessert.

26 minutes ago, D Alt said:

Didn't care for british night. 

@Matt what happens on the longer cruise like over 12 nights with the menus?  do they repeat or are there other themes?

Somebody mentioned they had a couple of extra themes show up on a longer sailing they were on, Asian and American. Check the app for Vision and Enchantment. I thought the Asian one looked great. I guess I need to book a longer sailing to be able to try it!

Entering night 7 tonight. Food is no better or worse than before. Though the jamaican chicken was great.  2 Indian dishes were good. The enchilada was good, though it needs more sauce. I have no idea what those corn cakes were though. 

No issues with gluten free ordering for my wife. Same procedure as before. 

On 3/22/2023 at 4:33 PM, D Alt said:

Didn't care for british night. 

@Matt what happens on the longer cruise like over 12 nights with the menus?  do they repeat or are there other themes?

Not many cared for British night at our table of 9.  I had  a pot pie that was good.  The fish and chips looked so small, and fries were reportedly not crisp, nor cooked through. We had a fellow from GB at our table so we asked him what he thought of the sticky toffee pudding -I thought it was supper dry but I'd never had it before, he agreed it was not like home.  
This was on Symphony TA, 12 nights
In answer to what happens to cruises over 12 nights?  Lobster night was on night 9 (the third formal/dress your best night.) and the menus repeated.
The American menu was lacking.  Who wants a hamburger at the dinner table when you can easily get that for lunch or dinner in the Windjammer.  Lots of disppointed folks that night.

2 hours ago, Jolly Ogre said:

Any updates as to what night is which menu or do they change per sailing? Also what is the format for an 8 day sailing... I tried to use the app but is shows day 8 as venue is closed.

They tend to change per sailing. The only absolutes are welcome aboard and Frecn night being on the first formal/dress your best night.