Adventure doing a TA and returning TA a few weeks later

Pattycruise

I couldn't see the 2025 ones on their website but it is doing the same in 2024 late October, back late November. Could be going for a drydock, not sure how long it takes to do the amplification but it only has 2 weeks in Europe between the TA's and no cruises scheduled in that gap. I do not think that is long enough for the amplification but not sure. With the cost of flights to Europe, it's actually somewhat in the same price point if you normally fly premium economy, business or first. Far more comfortable but takes longer. We are weeks away from retirement and taking our first TA over and flying back but if we like it we would be open to a back and forth, the problem is that they are usually going over in spring and back in fall. We contemplated taking RCL over in spring of 2025 and cunard back as they go back and forth all year, 7 days no stops. I wish that adventure trip wasn't late October to late November, total trip is 6 weeks with 2 weeks on land in Europe, I like the itinerary just not the season. But I understand they are trading that for the Caribbean in hurricane season. It's on my "maybe" list for 2025.

30 minutes ago, Temeculaguy said:

I couldn't see the 2025 ones on their website but it is doing the same in 2024 late October, back late November. Could be going for a drydock, not sure how long it takes to do the amplification but it only has 2 weeks in Europe between the TA's and no cruises scheduled in that gap. I do not think that is long enough for the amplification but not sure. With the cost of flights to Europe, it's actually somewhat in the same price point if you normally fly premium economy, business or first. Far more comfortable but takes longer. We are weeks away from retirement and taking our first TA over and flying back but if we like it we would be open to a back and forth, the problem is that they are usually going over in spring and back in fall. We contemplated taking RCL over in spring of 2025 and cunard back as they go back and forth all year, 7 days no stops. I wish that adventure trip wasn't late October to late November, total trip is 6 weeks with 2 weeks on land in Europe, I like the itinerary just not the season. But I understand they are trading that for the Caribbean in hurricane season. It's on my "maybe" list for 2025.

My mistake, I meant ‘24. I’ll fix my post.

I contemplated going over and back but the return encompasses Thanksgiving, we’d be persona non grata for the rest of our lives with hubby’s family!  The additional 2 weeks on land would have been a considerable cost as well. 

ADBA9762-17F2-4F56-8839-AC72925F72A3.png

I saw this. It arrives in Lisbon but leaves from a different port. You normally don't see a round-trip TA this close together, normally they sail from North America to Europe in the spring and return back to North America in the late fall.

It would be perfect if you wanted to spend some time in Europe between the sailings.

It's like a super-long land tour! What an interesting six-week trip!

We booked this sailing several weeks ago with a bunch of other C&A's we keep in touch with. The ship docks in Lisbon on Nov. 7. Some of us are making their way to Barcelona to board the Voyager on Nov. 10 for the return sailing.

We found a good deal on the Caribbean Princess on Nov. 10 out of Rome(Civitavecchia). Might spend 1 night in Lisbon, then in Rome for a couple and head to port.

That out of sync eastbound T/A does open up some possibilities. That and it was very inexpensive. The prices have gone up since we booked, but it's still reasonable.

19 hours ago, togo said:

I am really torn on this one.  The time of year is not the best weather and from what I read by November the Algarve has slowed to almost shut down for tourist season.  I have alot more research to do.  

Yes, indeed, the weather is unreliable at that time of year. Usually, however, the colder wetter weather doesn't start until closer to Christmas.

The chances are good that you'll be lucky and get blue skies and sunshine. If you're in a sheltered spot, you can get some sunbathing done without roasting, like you would in searing heat of summer, and if you like to be active there are some magnificent cliff and beach walks, as well as some of the best golf courses in the world. Don't expect to swim in the sea at that time of year, though, unless you're kitted out with a wetsuit. It'll be freezing. What many people don't realise is that we're not on the Med here; our entire coastline is on the Atlantic Ocean.

However, the Algarve is essentially a summer sun destination so, yes, by early November most of the tourist places have shut up shop for their own holidays. And if you happen to be unlucky with the weather, which is always a possibility, there's really nothing much to do except the shopping malls. So while the region could be a great choice for a few days of rest and relaxation in a fancy hotel with spa (and there are plenty of those to choose from) you'd be better not to plan on staying much longer than that at this time of year if you want things to do.

That said, Portugal is way more than just the Algarve. There are two fabulous cities that are well worth spending a few days in each: Lisbon and Porto. And the prices for accommodation at that time of year are much more budget-friendly. You could easily spend 3 or 4 days in each without getting bored. History galore, if that's your thing. Wine and food. Fado music. And some of the friendliest people you could ever hope to meet.

It's also extremely easy to add some days in Spain too. Madrid is only a short hop from Lisbon; Seville is a two-hour drive from the Algarve. The region of Andalusia, where Seville is located, is home to Granada, where the world-famous Alhambra is the star of the show, along with Flamenco. And then there are the coastal towns of Cadiz, Malaga, Alicante and Valencia, all of which are worth a visit, not to mention the British territory of Gibraltar along the way. I could go on and on.

It would be totally feasible, if thinking of doing the round trip on Adventure, to spend a few days in Lisbon when you arrive, then train to Porto, then train (or Ryanair, but you have to be aware of their brutal baggage rules) back down to Algarve for some rest and relaxation after your city sightseeing, and from there a bus to Seville. In Seville, a one-way car hire would let you do the whole coast, stopping off two or three times along the way until you arrive in Barcelona for the TA back. Best to hire a car once you're actually over the border in Spain; one-way hires from Portugal to Spain are very hard to find and stupidly expensive when you do.

If time and budget allow, you could have an absolutely amazing Iberian trip.

I hope this helps and gives you some ideas for your research. 😊

Excellent post and insight.  I had considered the idea of three days in Porto and three in Lisbon.  I would love to do day trips from Lagos for about three days but my fear is that by November the tour companies may or may not be operating in Algarve.  So yes, perhaps, after Porto and Lisboa, head to Spain to some unfamiliar cities.

41 minutes ago, togo said:

Excellent post and insight.  I had considered the idea of three days in Porto and three in Lisbon.  I would love to do day trips from Lagos for about three days but my fear is that by November the tour companies may or may not be operating in Algarve.  So yes, perhaps, after Porto and Lisboa, head to Spain to some unfamiliar cities.

The Lagos area is lovely.

The operators will be operating but with an extremely reduced schedule. You might book something and then they don't get the minimum number of people needed to run it and it could be cancelled.

If budget allows, you could consider private excursions, as they would run to your schedule. There is a concept here called "Taxi T". These are tourism taxis and the drivers, who all speak English, have to take a special course to be able to operate under this banner. They know the region inside out and are very experienced in working with tourists.

I have no idea what sort of price you'd be looking at but you can contact the local company "Algarve T" through their Facebook page if it's something you think might interest you.

https://www.facebook.com/AlgarveT/?locale=pt_PT