Speakers on a Cruise Ship?

I was just watching a video about Carnival Cruise Lines banning Speakers on the ship.  He was talking about people bringing external speakers to play in their cabins, on the pool deck and on excursions.  This is where my question starts... I am confused.  I have been on over 30 cruises and never seen this.  I can say I have only done one Carnival Cruise and do not hang out at the pool deck.  Is this something that really happens?

We usually bring a small Bose SoundLink Mini bluetooth speaker (very small), but only use it at normal levels in our cabin sometimes when we're getting ready to head out. We also have used it when we purchased a cabana in Labadee, but once again at respectable volume levels (plus the next over-the-water cabana was far enough away).

When we were on Odyssey last year, one couple had their bluetooth speaker in the solarium while they were in the hot tub, but was very respectful of everyone else and asked if it was too loud and/or bothering them. I guess some people (surprise, surprise) are inconsiderate and just blast their speakers like they're at a backyard BBQ or club and that led to the ban on Carnival. 😂

When I was on a 3 day cruise on Freedom of the Seas out of Miami, there was a group in line at Cafe Promenade with a Bluetooth speaker at a loud enough volume that the baristas were having difficulty taking orders. Some people are more concerned with themselves than others. I found this to be a much more frequent occurence on these short cruises which I've stopped booking. 

Our last stop at Coco Cay in November we were there sharing the island with the Anthem (we were Serenade) the speakers on the beach were many, very intrusive. Super loud and fighting genres, it was not enjoyable. So loud, all I kept thinking was am I that old or are they that rude? It was very off putting and we did move about, but it made me sad.....I would never do that, but maybe I'm just old.....

When we were at Coco Cay,  our cabana rental included the use of a bluetooth speaker.  Our cabana attendant brought it to us fully charged and ready to go.   It's the only time we have ever used one while cruising, it was nice, but we were sure to keep it a considerate volume, so as not to disturb anyone else. It was a nice perk, but definitely not necessary.

20 minutes ago, Neesa said:

Our last stop at Coco Cay in November we were there sharing the island with the Anthem (we were Serenade) the speakers on the beach were many, very intrusive. Super loud and fighting genres, it was not enjoyable. So loud and not enjoyable, all I kept thinking was am I that old or are they that rude? It was very intrusive and we did move about, but it made me sad.....I would never do that, but maybe I'm just old.....

Looks like you found the people who rush into the elevators before anyone can exit.

The CCL clientele is a whole other beast lol, most seem to be the type of people who will have a conversation on speaker phone out in public.

I have seen plenty of people walking and using their phone speakers to play music and such. It was very annoying when I was in Key West on the HoHo bus last month. At PDCC lots of people bring their own speakers and play what they want. As long as they are respectful, they rarely are, it wouldn't be an issue. 

Once upon a time, a long time ago (I'm talking way before the turn of the century) the beaches on Long Island, NY had to impose radio free zones on the beaches because of the excessive use of radios. You would be fined if caught using one without headphones in those areas.

I don't know why it's so hard to listen to what you want to listen to with headphones or ear buds rather then imposing on everyone around you (with a portable speaker) by blasting your own personal soundtrack.

I am very sensitive to extraneous noise so it really grates on my nerves when there is any kind of noise pollution in my midst.  I can’t even stand the clicking noises associated with electronic notifications or computer alerts.  I have every noise-making capability on my devices turned off including ring tones.  I try and be mindful of others’ love of listening to music or even being in love with the sound of their own voice but almost nothing will drive me away faster than chaotic noise.  Headphones and earbuds, people !

43 minutes ago, USFFrank said:

I don't know why it's so hard to listen to what you want to listen to with headphones or ear buds rather then imposing on everyone around you (with a portable speaker) by blasting your own personal soundtrack.

Simple. I like my music so every other person must love it too! 🙄

What that doesn't include you? Must be something wrong with you! <tongue firmly in my cheek >

Unfortunately, we experienced lots of the blue tooth speakers on our Nov 2021 cruise on the Explorer out of San Juan...Seemed like everyone was trying to outdo their neighbors with their choice of music and volume.   The worst was a family singing at the top of their lungs in the Solarium while one of them played a tambourine on a sea day.  We tried to give them some time but after over an hour, we had to get security to explain to them that the Solarium was a place for peace and quiet.

I’ve been on CoCocay two different sailings with inconsiderate people using their speakers at loud volumes.  I’d move my seat but when seats are hard to find it’s not an option.  One family disappeared while their music continued to play, after about 30 minutes I got up and turned off their speaker.

I’ve seen speakers used on Royal ships in the upper pool decks.  Ridiculous.  

9 hours ago, She Sails Away said:

Yes, I experienced a lot of this on Allure and Odyssey. People bring their Bluetooth to the pool deck and blast their Spotify, often while the live band is trying to play some steel drum magic for the rest of us. Super intrusive and rude when it's turned up so loud.

I wonder on a scale of 1 - the brig how much trouble you'd be in if I made one of those speakers identify as a football and do my best impression as a QB throwing a Hail Mary into the ocean...

Was just on Freedom in January and I noticed at least two instances of people with their loud music speakers. Walking into the Solarium couldn't figure out why it was so noisy and sound wasn't clear but then I realized I was walking behind a teen with music blasting out of the speakers she was holding, clashing with the ship's pool deck music. She kept it on the same volume inside and outside and saw this a few times during the cruise, with the speaker on. The worst though was when I went looking for chairs in the Solarium, only to be greeted by really loud rap music with tons of cuss words (I love me some rap but not in a quiet Solarium). It was coming from a speaker that 2 couples lounging about in the big hot tub had with them. That was my cue to get some snacks and come back. I came back about five minutes later and it was quiet again but I just felt so bad for the few people around them trying to read and take a nap. The initial scene, however, as I came across it, was completely comical. Please everyone, earbuds!

• 3 weeks later...

Interestingly enough, in a letter to upcoming spring break cruisers, Carnival has included this policy that they will be cracking down on speaker use in public spaces. I'm guessing that they are expecting a lot of wireless speakers to make their way on board during this time.

Carnival Cruise Line Sends Passengers a Warning (And a Threat) - TheStreet

image.png.400dc314fbaf00b8615063c454af8ac5.png