Voom worth it?

My only need of using it is to check in on the kids, either via texts, phone calls, or FaceTime. I have zero intentions on using it for social media or work. I want to unplug as much as possible but it's also our first time ever leaving our kids with my parents so I foresee a lot of checking in with them. It's only a 3 night cruise. Do you think it's worth getting Voom for this? I was planning on getting the deluxe beverage package and right now, Cruise Planner has the 25% deal on deluxe beverage and Voom 1 device. What are your thoughts?  

We tried to go off the grid last September, it lasted all of 24 hours because of the exact reasons you mentioned..... The "what if......." factor.

With the advent of wi-fi calling, we found ourselves actually being able to relax more knowing everything back home was A-OK.

2 minutes ago, chiboo9 said:

My only need of using it is to check in on the kids, either via texts, phone calls, or FaceTime. I have zero intentions on using it for social media or work. I want to unplug as mush as possible but it's also our first time ever leaving our kids with my parents so I foresee a lot of checking in with them. It's only a 3 night cruise. Do you think it's worth getting Voom for this? I was planning on getting the deluxe beverage package and right now, Cruise Planner has the 25% deal on deluxe beverage and Voom 1 device. What are your thoughts?  

Depends on which ship you're on. I was on an older ship this past (Serenade) and VOOM was pitiful, should have been called gloom or doom. From what I have read here, the newer ships have pretty good connectivity. Recommend you tell us which ship you'll be on and maybe someone can tell you their VOOM experience.

1 minute ago, rjac said:

Depends on which ship you're on. I was on an older ship this past (Serenade) and VOOM was pitiful, should have been called gloom or doom. From what I have read here, the newer ships have pretty good connectivity. Recommend you tell us which ship you'll be on and maybe someone can tell you their VOOM experience.

I'll be on Enchantment.

Guest toodle68

It depends on the age of the kids. If they are staying with your parents, remember that they (likely) know how to raise children and can take care of them  :)  ...  For us, we have teenagers who we just leave at home so we always have 1 device connected..

Voom on Enchantment works great, and would be suitable if you're worried about the 'what ifs' - though, I'd recommend just buying for one device if you'd like to be mostly 'unplugged', but want to have a method of contact. You can share the code to connect with another person, but only one can be logged in at one time.

To me its not worth it... Once we pass the sea buoy my phone gets turned off and put into the safe.  I'm on the cruise for a reason, to get away.  I won't be able to do much of anything anyway so I don't want to worry about it until we return.  Plus, I don't live and die by my phone.  Sometimes I don't even know where I left it and I can go almost a week without charging.  Now my wife, shes a different story.  

5 hours ago, arebee said:

To me its not worth it... Once we pass the sea buoy my phone gets turned off and put into the safe.  I'm on the cruise for a reason, to get away.  I won't be able to do much of anything anyway so I don't want to worry about it until we return.  Plus, I don't live and die by my phone.  Sometimes I don't even know where I left it and I can go almost a week without charging.  Now my wife, shes a different story.  

I'm the same way. The only thing I keep track of is my sea pass card and the daily cruise compass so I know what day it is. 

2 hours ago, elly said:

Same boat (pun intended). Except we are going on the "Allure of the Seas" for 7 days and our two little ones will be with my parents. Can anyone share if Voom works well on this ship? Thanks!

Voom is phenomenal on the Allure.  I used it to Periscope and even to stream Netflix when using the gym.

I used it pretty extensively on Ovation around the Pacific and NZ and it work "pretty well". Is it the gb fiber I am used to at home... no... is it as good as if not better than most hotel wireless services... absolutely. I had not time watching Netflix or video conferencing (I had a bit of work to do). There were a few times when it slowed down a little bit not never to the stage I would call it annoying.

We are on Voyager later this year so it will be interesting to see how an older ship compares.

We want to use it on the Harmony to text others in our group when we are separated - at separate activities - to get back together for other activities, as well as keep in touch with family members taking care of our elderly parents.  Will we be able to do this?

4 minutes ago, Zoey00123 said:

We want to use it on the Harmony to text others in our group when we are separated - at separate activities - to get back together for other activities, as well as keep in touch with family members taking care of our elderly parents.  Will we be able to do this?

I would absolutely expect so. You should have no issue with a messaging service like Facebook Messenger or iMessege which use very little data unless you are sending photos/video embedded in them. Make sure you turn your phone cell signal off an only use wireless to avoid SMS charges).

44 minutes ago, Zoey00123 said:

On Harmony, definitely. You won't have any problems. You'll be able to Skype, FaceTime, watch, Netflix, etc. 

On 5/12/2017 at 6:07 AM, arebee said:

To me its not worth it... Once we pass the sea buoy my phone gets turned off and put into the safe.  I'm on the cruise for a reason, to get away.  I won't be able to do much of anything anyway so I don't want to worry about it until we return.   Now my wife, shes a different story.  

This is pretty much spot-on with us.  One of the best things about a cruise is the ability to get away from the news and stress.  If you know about something and can't do anything about it, just stresses me out more.  However, on our next cruise, we will "have" to purchase for one device so my wife can ensure a connection to our daughter at school.  Much cheaper than our '06 Enchantment cruise where I saw $350+ in ship to shore calls to check in on our then 10 year old.  

I feel the same way, I'm on call 24x7x365, the only way I can get them to leave me alone is to go on a cruise, if I go to a resort that has free WiFi, they want to know why I'm not responding to emails and such. I've still got them fooled that cruises can't do that, not cost prohibitive...lol

We have a granddaughter on the way, so I will probably have to pay for at least one connection for my wife so she can keep tabs (have 4 grandson's, no granddaughters until this one gets here, so she will be spoiled).

7 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

I feel the same way, I'm on call 24x7x365, the only way I can get them to leave me alone is to go on a cruise, if I go to a resort that has free WiFi, they want to know why I'm not responding to emails and such. I've still got them fooled that cruises can't do that, not cost prohibitive...lol

Oh, every chance I get to remind my coworkers I make sure they are aware I will not be checking any kind of email on my honeymoon cruises. Hahahahahaa!

1 minute ago, klaconqueso said:

Oh, every chance I get to remind my coworkers I make sure they are aware I will not be checking any kind of email on my honeymoon cruises. Hahahahahaa!

Totally thought you were going to say, "Every chance I get, I remind my coworkers that I'm on my honeymoon cruise."

I suppose the best part of having internet access is sharing your experience with family and friends through social media.  However, I've only done it once when it was on sale and opt to just use cellular internet while in port as it's cheaper on the plan that I have.  If family needs to reach me, I tell them to text.