Oceanview vs Virtual Balcony

PL8SWPR

Has anyone stayed in a virtual balcony room?  I am about to book a trip on Wonder and the VB and OV is just $30 apart total for 3 people.  

I'm thinking the VB would be the better option as it's likely bigger and odds are the windows are dirty...  I'm also kind-of a nerd for new tech.  Do you forget it's not a real window?

Thoughts from someone who has experienced them?

So I'm going to be honest. I love the VB rooms but they aren't that big. They feel smaller than a regular interior because of the massive sceen. I sail solo so they are perfect for me, they give illusion of balcony but I don't have to worry about the AC going off. The feed shows the outside so it's very cool, I would randomly think birds were flying towards me. But once the sun sets you lose the luster. I would book it regardless because I hate OV rooms and low decks in general, so I'm bias.

We were in virtual balcony cabins for our last two cruises.  They were the cheapest cabins when we booked, We wouldn’t pay extra for one.

Our opinion: They’re neat, but the neatness doesn’t last long.  When we book interiors, we don’t spend much time in the cabin, so we don’t really see it.  At the end of the day, an interior with virtual balcony is still an interior. 

One issue we had on both Voyager and Anthem is that we couldn’t turn it off, so even at night, the virtual railing was lit up and hard to cover with the curtains.  Our cabin wasn’t as dark as we would have liked. 

17 minutes ago, PL8SWPR said:

For this sailing, the OV for 3 is actually $30 cheaper than the virtual balcony. 

They don't have any other interior rooms for 3 unless you go spacious interior for significantly more.

We book by price unless it’s a bucket list cruise  

33 minutes ago, teddy said:

We book by price unless it’s a bucket list cruise  

39 minutes ago, PL8SWPR said:

For this sailing, the OV for 3 is actually $30 cheaper than the virtual balcony. 

They don't have any other interior rooms for 3 unless you go spacious interior for significantly more.

I normally book by price, and daylight does have value to me...but I HATE low deck cabins. I just feel like I notice engines/thrusters/mechanical noise more. I'd probably go OV if it were a forward-facing or other mid-/upper-deck OV. But if we're talking deck 3 and the VB is on a mid-/upper-deck, I'd probably spring the $30 for the deck choice.

2 hours ago, Midwest Cruiser said:

Is it a Port hole or actual balcony? If actual balcony it's an absolute no brainer to get the access to fresh air and actual view!

The question was VB versus OV cabins.   OV cabins are by definition a window.  Actual balconies are a different category.  Yes, you obviously get an Ocean View from a balcony but that acronym means no balcony when booking.

I had a Virtual Balcony on the Ovation of the Seas in July.  I was really disappointed and will not spend any extra money for one.  I will take an ocean view over the Virtual in the future.  If you want to see the cabin, I have a detailed video review at (9) RCL Ovation Interior Virtual Balcony 10123 - YouTube

Thanks guys.  Very helpful info.  I think we are going to go with an 11th deck OV towards the front.  They are obstructed, (just under and behind the "wing" on Wonder), but as someone mentioned above - I just want daylight or something to orient me to what time of day it is when I wake up.  Don't care about a bit of obstruction.

I'm not into virtual anything so I would likely never book a one. The main reason is you're still couped up in a room w/o a window and for me it feels too Closter phobic even though I'm not Closter phobic. Second is that it doesn't have outdoor airflow for fresh air and for some reason I like that, as well as being able to sit out on the balcony during a sea day or at night while enjoying the ambiance.