86 year old grandmother with no photo ID

sage w

Hey! 

So myself, my partner , my mother and my grandmother have a Royal Carribean cruise coming up in 2 weeks time. It's a domestic cruise to Australia and leaves from and returns to Brisbane on Quantum of the Seas - 7 day cruise. 

We did our check in a few weeks ago and asked over the phone about what ID we could put on the cruise pass for my grandmother as she doesn't have a passport (she has never left the country) or a driver's licence (she hasn't driven in over 5 years). So we put in her card number for her seniors card. 

All was good until a few days ago where I read that we need photo ID to get on board. So we have spent the last few days frantically trying to get her photo ID which we've been told is impossible unless she changes her name- the issue here is that her birth certificate says 'Rose Porteus' but when she was a kid everyone called her Bonnie so come the time for real ID everything she has says 'Bonnie Rose Chapman (married name, has been divorced for like 40 years now but still has her married name ).

So we have tried everything we can and our last resort is going to be writing a statement declaring she is who she says she is and getting a pustice of the peace to sign it. 

What are the chances Royal Carribean are going to leave an 86 year old woman stranded at the dock when we board in 2 weeks time because we have no photo ID for her? Has anyone encountered a similar issue ?? How did they handle it ?? 

We dont live in Brisbane either  we are travelling from Perth a few days beforehand.

Thanks in advance !

Sage Whitworth 

Oh man! I'm with @Xaaon on this one. Also, the fact that she has a name change (and can't back it up with documentation) is a problem. I'm sorry this has reared its ugly head so close to your sailing. This type of situation always gives me anxiety. I check our documentation days before booking, as well as numerous months (or years) before sailing. It's just too expensive, time-consuming, and stress-inducing to not address early in the booking process. I hope you can get it resolved to bring your grandmother along. 

Legal names are just that and nicknames are typically not legal unless you go to courthouse for an official name change.  My legal name and the name everyone knows me by are not the same.  But my legal name is what is on all my official documents and it is what I have to answer to officially speaking!  
Unfortunately  your grandmother must get her legal ID made in her legal name.  She will need her marriage license to prove she legally changed her last name since her birth certificate shows a different name than what is now her legal last name.

I do hope you are able to get this sorted out and completed before your cruise.  Any type of travel with documentation must be all legally proven information.

Good luck

17 hours ago, sage w said:

So we have tried everything we can and our last resort is going to be writing a statement declaring she is who she says she is and getting a pustice of the peace to sign it. 

Unfortunately, without a picture ID on the written statement, how does one know that the written statement is for the person holding the paper?  

My husband almost got in trouble for a similar issue.  When making reservations for a cruise, he told the TA that is name was 'Tom'.  But on his passport and driver's license, his name is listed as 'Thomas'.  You would think that a 60 year old man would know this by now.  It is no difference than when you purchase airline tickets.  I found out his mistake a week after we booked the cruise.  But it was still a hassle to get his name changed on the reservation. 

Good luck with getting a picture id.  I know that in the states, we can get a non-driver's ID thru our motor vehicle department. 

Here in the U.S. they offer a a non DL photo ID, which is pretty much a requirement to have. At some point you'll need phot ID for some interaction/altercation. Heck, if you happen to encounter the Police and are asked for it and do not posses any it can be quite the ordeal. Without the photo part any other cards mean very little in the way of identification.