Island hopping on Waitress of the Seas.......what an odd name for a cruise ship...Feb 19-26

GregD

As I type this we are 9 days 15 hours 49 minutes away from boarding, so I suppose I should get this blog started!

As you can see in the tags, we are returning to Oasis of the Seas, this time an Eastern Caribbean route. We are star class again in an Aquatheater Suite. We were on Oasis last February doing the western route in the ATS2BR. We are excited to go the Eastern route, as this is the one we lost when COVID shut everything down. We will be in the same suite category, but now on Deck 8.

So, Waitress of the Seas? Here is the story. Two weeks ago, The Boss and I spent the weekend in NYC for some time away from the kids, and finally got the chance to see Phantom Of The Opera on Broadway before it closes its doors for good. As would be expected, the show was amazing, and our little trip was a nice little get away. While we were gone, the kids were staying with my parents. While there, they were asking Johnny all about the cruise etc. He told them the name of the ship, and my father, who is a little hard of hearing at this point in his life thought he heard "Waitress of the Seas" and instead of trying to get clarification, just went with it, and thought, "huh, what an odd name for a cruise ship." It wasn't until we picked the kids up did the mistake get cleared up. For me, the name stuck, and she shall forever now be known as Waitress of the Seas to me.

Now that that is cleared up, back to the usuals.

Whos Going: Its our typical crew, myself, The Boss (Heather) D13 Lydia, D9 Johnny, and my sister Julie. We all have a great time together and my sister likes to call herself our third adopted child since we include her in many of our adventures. 

Route: Eastern Caribbean. We are visiting Labadee, Puerto Rico, St Thomas and PDCC. All of these are new ports for us except for PDCC so we are excited about that.

Stateroom: We are in an ATS2BR as before, but this time we are on deck 8. We were on deck 9 last year, and we would have been perfectly happy there again, but the price difference to move to the bigger suite was so small that it was a no brainer to go bigger. I can thank @Lovetocruise2002 for letting me know that the itineraries were going live and introducing me to her amazing TA, IYKYK!! 

Pre-Cruise Purchases: As we are all painfully aware of, cruise planner prices are going way up especially for vacation week cruises, so I have been watching prices like a hawk. We were able to get a good price on the things we wanted to do. Other prices were so crazy we quickly passed on.

IE Coco Beach club passes were over $200pp and the OTW cabanas were nearly 3k. As much as we loved that last experience last year, that is way more than what we paid then, and I don't see the value for that price. With the kids being older and less inclined to just play in the sand, we did book a Thrill Water Park Cabana though. The kids are old enough now that its easier to say go have fun while I lounge in the cabana, but not old enough where I don't have to be in the water park with them.

Labadee we were able to get dragon tail coaster rides and the inflatable park passes for quite cheap. In a big stroke of luck, the beach cabanas at barefoot beach actually dropped in price significantly so I was able to snag one of those. We had originally planned on just getting beach chairs because they were in the "ousands" of dollars at first. Maybe there was another new intern because the price dropped to $400 for a brief time and I snagged one. 

Puerto Rico we are just going to get off the ship and wander around old town and find something to eat and explore a bit. 

St Thomas we booked the Champagne Catamaran Sail and Snorkel excursion through RC. Julie, Lydia and I will snorkel. The Boss will enjoy the Champagne and Snacks, and I'm sure Johnny will be in charge of the boat by the end of the day.

More to Come!

Hi, definitely following. Our next star class on Oasis isn't until September.  We have a crappier itinerary than yours, but even during peak hurricane season, our over-the-water cabana in PDCC was $1799. Crazy. We reserved one for only the 2 of us. So that tells you all need to know about us....

Anyway, really looking forward to your blog! Can't wait!

9 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Lol Waitress of the seas would be a good ship name but imagine how many posts about tipping would be made. 

This could be interesting. Instead of "cruise fare" pricing, everything is just labeled a "compulsory gratuity"

Sit back and watch everyones head explode..

More pre-cruise stuff.

Last year on Oasis we sailed while everything was still at reduced capacity and the ship had about 3500 guests on board. While it was nice to not have any lines, the ship felt dead. This will be our first Oasis class at full capacity, so it will be great to see the ship come alive. I'm going to channel my inner @Ampurp85and do some good people watching. 

We crossed the points threshold and now are diamond status. I plan on chatting with the Loyalty Ambassador to make sure we take full advantage of our perks. Granted the drink vouchers aren't in play here, but I'll check out the diamond lounge, get our free photos etc etc. Any suggestions, throw them out there.

I don't know if it's just me or not. Does anyone else have flashbacks, or a nostalgia moment when you're out and about and The Power of Love comes on the radio, and you are brought back to the opening of Aqua80? (now excuse me while I pull up Youtube and watch the music video)

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

I love Aqua80 and in your suite you can see it as many times as you want. Your suite also will make a good spot for prime people watching. I don't have no rhythm so I either chair dance or have to be tipsy to try, but I am always dancing excitedly for a cruise. 

We loved watching it last year from the balcony! We will be watching it from there as many times as well this cruise too!

Genie Stuff:

At exactly 90 days out, we did get our genie survey. For my neighbourly (neighborly?) cruise with @Lovetocruise2002 this past summer, I had saved everything in a word document, so it was easy to update and tweak for this sailing. I did put in the notes that we would love to work with Derick again since we had him last year. The kids really liked him.

At 30 days out we got our welcome letter, and we were thrilled to find that it was from Derick! The kids were so happy. I sent out an email with life updates, and we have had a few more back and forth emails regarding scheduling etc. 

Here are some of our requests, I'll keep everyone posted on how they come out. 

I pre-booked Izumi hibachi in the cruise planner quite a while ago knowing that is the new norm. But like an idiot, I accidentally booked it for formal night. I've asked Derick if he could switch it to a different night for us. I got the canned "I can't promise anything" response, so we will see what happens.

After reading some other posts, we requested Cabana #43 in Thrill Water Park. I was surprised to get a "you got it" response. It seems to be in a good spot, close to the slides as well as the attendant station. We are there at the same time as Freedom, so I anticipate the park being super busy. I'm already looking forward to the chicken sammich hack!

Dining wise, we are skipping chefs table and CP150. While I would like the meal at Chefs Table, the rest of the gang wouldn't. Most of our group weren't impressed by CP150 either. I may have to make some requests for their bread and the fillet at some point, because those were REALLY good.

Night 1 will be in CK because fillet night. We also asked Derick that we wanted to get to Portside BBQ sooner in the cruise. Last year when we finally made it there, we were in full on Star Class food coma status and really couldn't enjoy it. I would also like to get to Playmakers. We have not eaten there yet. 

We are going to surprise the kids with a birthday party for them on the cruise. Lydia became a teenager a month ago, and Johnny turns 10 a couple weeks after the cruise, so why not. Johnny is obsessed with hippopotamuses and Lydia is a competitive cheerleader. I asked for cakes in those themes. I did tell Derick I fully understand that there are limitations that the pastry team have, but there is no harm in asking right?

• GregD changed the title to Island hopping on Waitress of the Seas.......what an odd name for a cruise ship...Feb 19-26

Final Countdown GIF

be de deee dooooo......(Sorry, I cannot use this meme without singing/typing the rest of that riff)

We are one week from our wheels up. The endless stream of Amazon packages that are arriving daily as The Boss remembers something else that she forgot she needed is probably driving our mailman nuts. We took advantage of the free laundry services to great success while in Norway, and I plan on doing the same this coming week that I plan on packing WAAY less clothes, but The Boss, I can't convince her otherwise. I almost think each cruise, the luggage gets heavier and heavier. 

Side note, anyone have experience with solgaard luggage? I've been debating upgrading our soft sided luggage. 

Travel plans. Last year we road tripped the whole way to Miami from NY because flights were stupid money. This year, they aren't as bad, but still crazy. We decided to drive to BWI and fly from there. It's a relatively easy drive from our house, and cut the cost of the flights significantly. We will arrive in Miami Saturday night and we chose to stay at The Homewood Suites Blue Lagoon by the airport. We like this brand of hotels, and this one has 2 bedroom units. We are going to stay here one night after the cruise too and fly home on Monday. 

On 2/9/2023 at 7:29 PM, GregD said:

her amazing TA, IYKYK!! 

I know! 😉

On 2/10/2023 at 8:06 AM, GregD said:

Any suggestions, throw them out there.

Definitely get the free photo. You get one and the Boss gets one too, so make sure you get both for full value (that's Hubby's tip lol)

Other than that, I don't find as much value in the Diamond perks when sailing star. When you hit D+, the next best thing is the free bag of laundry, so that you can be reminded of your star days lol

On 2/10/2023 at 6:36 AM, Sweety said:

I saw Phantom of the Opera in London. Love the show.

I have decided that if I ever make it back to London, this is a must do for me. Twice now, we have been to London and have not been able to catch it.

Not to hijack but @Lovetocruise2002 I don't think you can do 9 nights in MDR. Might want to use your D+ bogo. You do sky/star class a lot. I've done each once and never felt the same about the MDR and WJ after. Even if food temps and service are great, I feel like you still might be a bit dissatisfied on certain nights. After 4 nights on a 5 night cruise I was over the MDR. Granted it was the first cruise with the new menus and I cut the crew slack. It was the menu offerings. I have a 4 night Liberty and 5 night Mariner......using my D+ bogo to break up the MDR.

20 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Not to hijack but @Lovetocruise2002 I don't think you can do 9 nights in MDR. Might want to use your D+ bogo. You do sky/star class a lot. I've done each once and never felt the same about the MDR and WJ after. Even if food temps and service are great, I feel like you still might be a bit dissatisfied on certain nights. After 4 nights on a 5 night cruise I was over the MDR. Granted it was the first cruise with the new menus and I cut the crew slack. It was the menu offerings. I have a 4 night Liberty and 5 night Mariner......using my D+ bogo to break up the MDR.

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

Not to hijack but @Lovetocruise2002 I don't think you can do 9 nights in MDR. Might want to use your D+ bogo. You do sky/star class a lot. I've done each once and never felt the same about the MDR and WJ after. Even if food temps and service are great, I feel like you still might be a bit dissatisfied on certain nights.

Oh, you don't need to convince me! I know I cannot do any nights in the MDR. But I am on a mission to convince Hubby and the girls how good they have it since they always roll their eyes at me. 😉

Room service chicken wings is a personal favourite of mine. That will be my default on the really bad nights. You might even find me in the WJ 😂

43 minutes ago, Yesiamthere6 said:

I’m excited for you two to get on that ship.  Once it’s your turn then it’s just one week for I’m cruising!!  

Funny side note..Three of us from my firehouse are all cruising RC next week, all on different ships. I'm on Oasis, one of the Captains is on Wonder, and my Fire Chief will be on Anthem, so you will cross paths so to speak with his family!

They all have said I need to be a travel agent since they have been asking me so many questions.....hmmmmm, retirement side hustle maybe🤔

Sitting at the firehouse today and I got to thinking. I need to reach out to a theoretical physicist to study the inverse relationship between perceived time during the week before a cruise, and the week actually spent on the cruise.......

season 6 friends GIF

I need to make it through todays shift, and one more on Thursday and I'm on vacation.

1 hour ago, GregD said:

Sitting at the firehouse today and I got to thinking. I need to reach out to a theoretical physicist to study the inverse relationship between perceived time during the week before a cruise, and the week actually spent on the cruise.......

season 6 friends GIF

I need to make it through todays shift, and one more on Thursday and I'm on vacation.

I feel your pain,  I have 3 more nights  to work before I'm on vacation.  3 very, very, very long nights.  LOL

This never ending slog of a week continues.....why is it only Tuesday?  At least there is some good news on the horizon.

I got two emails from Derick today. He reached out with some requests to help with the cakes, so that's a start. He also sent our preliminary dining schedule, and I am happy to report that my ill timed Izumi reservation has been moved, and he incorporated all of our other dining requests, as I knew he would. 

I might even start packing tomorrow and keep the boss happy by not doing it late Friday night. I never see the problem since it takes be about 10 minutes.

I hope everyone enjoys their Valentines Day with their SO etc, or your Anti Valentines Day if that is your thing too!

114 hours 12 minutes until boarding!! (10:30 on Sunday)

52 minutes ago, Yesiamthere6 said:

My husband thinks just like you…..will take him 10 minutes to pack!   

I packed today 7 minutes, 36 seconds.

We had some more communication with Derick. Dining schedule is set, I've ordered some things to help with the cakes. The only thing left is the show planner that he said he would send out on Saturday when all the show times are fully finalized. This time around for us should be pretty easy. Obviously we will see Aqua80, cats was a one and done for The Boss and Lydia. We liked the ice show so we will see that. Some of the other acts are starting to show in the cruise planner. One of the headliners is a ventriloquist, Kevin Johnson, and the other is Austin Drage who apparently was on X-Factor in 2008. The tribute band is Generation Idol. I'm kinda mreh on these performers. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though.

Last shift at the firehouse tomorrow, hopefully those 24hrs go fast!

20 hours ago, GregD said:

We had some more communication with Derick. Dining schedule is set, I've ordered some things to help with the cakes. The only thing left is the show planner that he said he would send out on Saturday when all the show times are fully finalized.

The only communication I've had with our Genie on our 2/19 sailing is that he is reserving all the specialty dining for us and would have seats for us for the shows...Being our first SC sailing maybe I'm doing something wrong or is that pretty normal?

19 minutes ago, Yo2slick said:

The only communication I've had with our Genie on our 2/19 sailing is that he is reserving all the specialty dining for us and would have seats for us for the shows...Being our first SC sailing maybe I'm doing something wrong or is that pretty normal?

There is a wide spectrum of communication with the genies. Sometimes you will have an abundance of  pre-cruise communication, and sometimes you don't. One constant that seems to now be the norm, is if you want something, make sure you ask for it, and be specific. 

WOOHOOO Officially on vacation!!! Thankfully the last shift wasn't too bad call wise, but I've been so excited for this trip, I didn't sleep too well anyway. I did make the guys on my shift a nice dinner since I am ditching them. (its never too early to start the food pictures, right?)

69828207336__55CF9926-BA78-4BB4-A3C3-4D4C69D42587.fullsizerender.thumb.jpeg.87f47767f17491491a8dca3ec59f2c7c.jpeg\

Today I am spending the day catching up on the last odds and ends for the trip. I got Johnny and myself packed up and ready to go. The Boss had a very quick case today, so she was home already very early today and is working on getting herself organized, and will be making sure Lydia gets her crap...er things...together...ugh teenagers.....

Our plan is to be on the road tomorrow at 6am which should get us to the airport in plenty of time. 

My sister has been remarking that she has much less travel anxiety this time around. She attributes it to not having to worry about the required COVID testing etc. that we used to have to do. She was always very worried about a last minute positive test, especially since my school age kids are little germ factories. 

Lots of rambling thoughts here. I hate this hurry up and wait period.

Angry American Idol GIF

Speaking of uggggghhhhh teenagers.

After asking our daughter for days to make sure her dress that she was going to use for formal night fits. We just found out now, that she didn't try it on. Guess what, it doesn't fit....She and The Boss are now off to the mall to try to find a new one.....So much for the stress free evening....

3 hours ago, GregD said:

My sister has been remarking that she has much less travel anxiety this time around. She attributes it to not having to worry about the required COVID testing etc. that we used to have to do.

This is huge! I realized I had way less anxiety for Symphony back in December as well for that very reason.

3 hours ago, GregD said:

After asking our daughter for days to make sure her dress that she was going to use for formal night fits. We just found out now, that she didn't try it on.

Ugh! I feel your pain....