Mahjong games/lessons available on Spectrum?

SJay

I know you can have poker lessons onboard. But what I'd really love to learn and play for my cruise from Singapore with Spectrum of the Seas is Mahjong. (Yes, I have recently rewatched 'Crazy Rich Asians' as holiday excitement grows!)

Is this possible? Will there be Mahjong sets on the ship? Anyone done anything like this before?

It would be perfect for the day we are at sea. (Curently, the only class to book is to make sushi.)

Thanks!

My wife is addicted to mahjongg, but the American version of the game. We have been on five cruises and have never seen a mahjongg set onboard. I think there are several reasons, first they are not cheap like a deck of cards and there are a lot of fairly small pieces that can be lost, rendering the set useless.

My wife has bought a travel set and brings it with her on cruises in the hope that she meets someone that wants to play. It is not possible to post something like "I am in cabin 13456, if you want to play mahjongg knock on my door" due to security concerns. That is a major problem. She has posted something in the card room like "meet here at 3pm", but no one has ever shown up.

Once she met a group that wanted to play, but she soon found out that Chinese mahjongg and American mahjongg are similar but different enough to cause major problems.

We have another cruise coming up and I am sure that she will bring her set. I hope she meets someone that wants to play.

Lessons would be right up my alley! I love learning/trying new things on a cruise. Perhaps the roll call might be a place to start? Or on the Facebook group (I don't do Facebook but I see people talking about their cruise groups on there)? 

Now that the app chat is free, maybe she could post her username instead of stateroom number? (I'm guessing here, perhaps you can only chat within your group)

@stevendom57 I didn't know there is an American version, but it doesn't look like the differences are huge. I was taught to play as a child, but haven't played in years as it isn't well-known in the UK. I think I just need a quick refresher to enjoy a proper game.

I take it you're not on Spectrum of the Seas in March? I'd happily play Mahjong with your wife!

@jbrinkmThanks for the suggestions - will give it some thought.

I'm hoping Royal Caribbean staff might keep taps on what is said in the forum on the lookout for good ideas for experiences to add to their cruises. Or is there a formal mechanism for making requests/suggestions? I can't imagine customer service would have the time to look into such matters.