CROWN AND ANCHOR PROGRAM

Good Morning All,

I was going to start by saying "simple question for everyone" but then I realized this wouldn't be simple or straight forward, so here goes!

By staying loyal to Royal and getting to higher levels in the program such as Diamond and above, is it really giving us the equal amount of perks(both physical and nominal) compared to the amount we have to spend getting to those levels?  My buddies at the fire department joke around with me because we are a family that cruise a lot, and they think I get all these free upgrades and discounts because of the amount I cruise with RCCL.

I've been Diamond Plus for quite a while now.  I enjoy the perks, although I do not take advantage of all of them (I don't alter my plans to use a perk that didn't fit in my plans to begin with).  I think RCCL has one of the better programs out there and as you go farther up the benefits do factor in to the overall cost and enjoyment but I wold never be a slave to a loyalty program "just because".  

Bottom line:  Select a Line/sailing based on what you are getting for your dollars.  For me, thats always been RCCL

Fair Response.

This is the highest we have ever been on any loyalty program so I guess I am expecting a little to much from RCCL.  And trust me when we choose a cruise it's not solely based on the loyalty program.  

Keep in mind also that Royal's sister lines Celebrity and Azamara cross-honor your loyalty level when you book with them. So if you ever decide to cruise on one of those lines, you instantly get the perks of the matching loyalty level and don't have to worry about starting over / building up on the "new" line. I don't know that it's all that useful a thing at Royal's lower levels (Gold / Emerald / Platinum), but I recall reading somewhere (maybe here) that if you've hit Diamond level that translates into some nice benefits on the sister lines.

I think that the C&A program is no different than any other loyalty programs, be it a cruise line or any other business. You always seem to spend a lot more, in relation to your benefits. That's how those companies can stay in business and afford to give you those benefits. I think of the perks, just as they are, perks. A little something back for your loyalty. I think if you expect too much, you will be disappointed.

I think the question is, if RC didn't offer those perks through C&A, would you still cruise with them? If you answered yes, then you are cruising with RC for the right reasons, in my opinion.

I'm diamond with Royal and would be even higher if I cruised exclusively with them. And while Royal is my favorite line, itineraries matter to me and some of the itineraries I want aren't ordered by Royal, so I end up cruising with other lines. And although the perks are nice, I don't think they'd make me cruise one line over another unless pricing and itinerary were the same. 

Obviously, some feel differently, which might be why MSC is offering Loyalty match to their program to entice new cruisers. 

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Keep in mind also that Royal's sister lines Celebrity and Azamara cross-honor your loyalty level when you book with them. So if you ever decide to cruise on one of those lines, you instantly get the perks of the matching loyalty level and don't have to worry about starting over / building up on the "new" line. I don't know that it's all that useful a thing at Royal's lower levels (Gold / Emerald / Platinum), but I recall reading somewhere (maybe here) that if you've hit Diamond level that translates into some nice benefits on the sister lines.

This is true but you don't add to your C&A points.

The value in C&A and getting to Diamond or above is all the perks you get. Priority embarkation, welcome back parties, onboard discounts/coupons.  

Here's a cost benefit breakdown of the benefits: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/08/29/the-cost-benefits-of-royal-caribbeans-crown-and-anchor-society-onboard-discounts

On 5/10/2017 at 10:55 AM, JLMoran said:

Keep in mind also that Royal's sister lines Celebrity and Azamara cross-honor your loyalty level when you book with them.

MSC Cruises will also match other companies loyalty programs with a comparable level in their loyalty program.  I keep wanting to try MSC out, but my wife vetoes me.

Just now, bcarney said:

MSC Cruises will also match other companies loyalty programs with a comparable level in their loyalty program.  I keep wanting to try MSC out, by my wife vetoes me.

I wanted to try them out as well, but found out they're not especially great for families with kids or teens. Now I'm waiting for @DocLC to take his trip on the brand new MSC Seaside at the end of the year and read his review. Will see after that if maybe I book something for just the missus and me, or get the whole family to try her out, or skip it altogether.

Have sailed on the Divina twice with two very different experiences.  I also know a friend that sailed on her this Spring break and had major service issues in all areas of the ship.  They even moved her stateroom when she went to check in.  I have never heard of this!

7 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I wanted to try them out as well, but found out they're not especially great for families with kids or teens. Now I'm waiting for @DocLC to take his trip on the brand new MSC Seaside at the end of the year and read his review. Will see after that if maybe I book something for just the missus and me, or get the whole family to try her out, or skip it altogether.

We were booked on the Seaside for this New Years and cxl'd.  Sailing on the Oasis.  They have enough problems getting things correct on a ship that's been sailing out of Miami now for two years, I couldn't take the chance on a brand new ship.

If you want to see a joke of a loyalty program, check out Disney's.  

Not only are there literally *zero* benefits worth while, but you don't even get extra points for a longer cruise or a more expensive room.  We literally get the same credit for a 3 night Bahamas cruise in an inside room as we did for a 12 night Baltic Cruise in the Walt Disney suite.  Lame.  

2 hours ago, Matt said:

The value in C&A and getting to Diamond or above is all the perks you get. Priority embarkation, welcome back parties, onboard discounts/coupons.  

Here's a cost benefit breakdown of the benefits: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/08/29/the-cost-benefits-of-royal-caribbeans-crown-and-anchor-society-onboard-discounts

So lets say you are saving $173.42 but over the last five years you have spent on the low side 2,000 per cruise twice a year over five years that  20,0000. Over the five years you haven't always been a diamond so let say you average 100 dollars.  So over the five years RCCL is giving you 1,000.  That's around 5%.    

28 minutes ago, Christie said:

Not only are there literally *zero* benefits worth while, but you don't even get extra points for a longer cruise or a more expensive room.  We literally get the same credit for a 3 night Bahamas cruise in an inside room as we did for a 12 night Baltic Cruise in the Walt Disney suite.  Lame.  

Well, I guess that's why it's referred to as a "mickey mouse" program.:4_joy:

I think their Loyalty programme is definitely one of the better ones out there. We cruise in a Grand Suite and usually do 14 day cruises so it only took three cruises to become diamond. Once you reach diamond level the perks ramp up and the big plus we enjoy is we never need to buy a drinks package. We can use the drink vouchers and both the diamond/concierge lounge for "free" drinks.(even though the policy is not to take the drinks from the lounges the first thing the concierge said to do was ignore that rule and take our drinks to the restaurant if we wanted).

We don't drink a lot and would much rather spend the money saved on drinks packages on the speciality restaurants so it works well for us.

The priority boarding is also a great perk and it normally means we can get on the ship pretty rapidly and start enjoying our cruise.

We certainly don't use all the perks but the ones we do use improve the experience for us. Plus it costs nothing to join and any rewards received are a bonus.

6 hours ago, Christie said:

Actually RCCL used to be this way too.  

Tier levels were determined not by points (# of total nights at sea) but simply by number of cruises.  A 3 night trip to the Bahamas in an inside cabin and a 15 night transatlantic in a Royal suite were worth the same!

Glad it changed!

We have been diamond members for the last few cruises and now pushing the diamond plus level.  Since we don't stand a snowballs chance of getting to the top level we are going to wait till we are diamond plus then start cruising some Celebrity Cruises.  Like some have said and we agree,  the same ole Caribbean itineraries are getting boring.

16 hours ago, PRC said:

Actually RCCL used to be this way too.  

Tier levels were determined not by points (# of total nights at sea) but simply by number of cruises.  A 3 night trip to the Bahamas in an inside cabin and a 15 night transatlantic in a Royal suite were worth the same!

Glad it changed!

My cruise history on the C&A web site still reflects the single numbers and then an adjustment to the new numbers.

You do get all the perks of being an RCCL Crown and Anchor member when you sail with their sister companies (MSC and Celebrity) but what you won't get are cabin discounts.  That's a big deal.  Was going to book a Celebrity cruise while on one of our RCCL cruises.  When I met with the booking rep and a date and itinerary were chosen, she gave us the price of that particular cruise.  As I looked at the paper work, I noticed that she did not included our cabin discount (Jr. Suite).  When I questioned that, she said that all benefits and perks of our Diamond status transferred over to the Celebrity cruise but that they DO NOT give cabin discounts.   That was the end of my desire to cruise with Celebrity. 

On 5/10/2017 at 3:13 PM, RBRSKI said:

So lets say you are saving $173.42 but over the last five years you have spent on the low side 2,000 per cruise twice a year over five years that  20,0000. Over the five years you haven't always been a diamond so let say you average 100 dollars.  So over the five years RCCL is giving you 1,000.  That's around 5%.    

I'll be honest, I don't follow your math, but in our example (I'm Diamond) the three free drinks a day for my wife and I (at $12+tax per drink) is worth $594.72 on a seven day cruise.  And by going to the Diamond lounge you are not quite limited to just three (thank you staff on Rhapsody!) ...

The Diamond lounge also gives my kids free Shirley Temples and other gifts, and frankly they make them feel like they are the Kings and Queens of the World, and that means a lot to me personally.

The loyalty program weighs on me heavily when I think about trying other cruise lines.  So clearly it's effective since I'm normally a cynical bastard. :)

2 hours ago, bcarney said:

I'll be honest, I don't follow your math, but in our example (I'm Diamond) the three free drinks a day for my wife and I (at $12+tax per drink) is worth $594.72 on a seven day cruise.  And by going to the Diamond lounge you are not quite limited to just three (thank you staff on Rhapsody!) ...

The Diamond lounge also gives my kids free Shirley Temples and other gifts, and frankly they make them feel like they are the Kings and Queens of the World, and that means a lot to me personally.

The loyalty program weighs on me heavily when I think about trying other cruise lines.  So clearly it's effective since I'm normally a cynical bastard. :)

I don't consider any father who goes off the tarzan swing on  the Random Wind to be a "cynical bastard" .....more like a "crazy bastard":12_slight_smile:.  But I can appreciate the happiness you feel for the perks you mentioned for your kids in the Diamond Lounge. I'm not at that level yet, but looking forward to it.:27_sunglasses:

On my last cruise I used the diamond concierge twice to resolve issues I had with the ship, I had already spoken to an ship officer (Somebody with gold bars on their shoulders) and gotten no place. I went to the Diamond concierge and she successfully resolved both issues, one was no big issue, I pack a travel fan that helps me sleep, they confiscated it and were not going to let me have it in the room, she fixed that and I got my fan. Second was much worse, my cabin flooded and they said they couldn't move me because the ship was sold out, she got me another Grand suite.

So for me the program works, the free drinks are great and all the other discounts, but to have an advocate on your side to work with the cruise line or the ship is pretty awesome.

On 5/12/2017 at 11:28 AM, tiny260 said:

On my last cruise I used the diamond concierge twice to resolve issues I had with the ship, I had already spoken to an ship officer (Somebody with gold bars on their shoulders) and gotten no place. I went to the Diamond concierge and she successfully resolved both issues, one was no big issue, I pack a travel fan that helps me sleep, they confiscated it and were not going to let me have it in the room, she fixed that and I got my fan. Second was much worse, my cabin flooded and they said they couldn't move me because the ship was sold out, she got me another Grand suite.

So for me the program works, the free drinks are great and all the other discounts, but to have an advocate on your side to work with the cruise line or the ship is pretty awesome.

Great information!  I would never have that of that.  Thanks.  This sounds like the most valuable benefit of all!