Alaska on Quantum- is a balcony a must-have?

LPatl

Hi all!  We're thinking about a 7 night cruise this July to Alaska on the Quantum.  There are no more balcony rooms available, only interior with a virtual balcony.  We typically love balconies for the view and little bit of extra space and wasn't sure if not having one would be a deal breaker.  There are interior rooms with a virtual balcony but I wasn't sure if this was nearly the same as the real deal.  It's going to be a cross-country, pricey trip with two kids in tow, so I want to know if I should still do it or wait for another time as this will be our first trip to Alaska (and would welcome any advice on that too!).

Also, it's possible that an obstructed balcony becomes available.  How obstructed are we talking about?  Would that be worth it? 

Thanks for the advice!

Hi - did you consider Quantum instead? They do pretty much the same itineraries and the same class of ship. Both leave from Seattle - I believe Quantum leaves on Mondays and Ovation on Fridays. I know this doesn't answer your questions, but was just the first thought I had. I'm doing Quantum Alaska later this summer myself.

I did just have an obstructed balcony on Anthem (also same class) and it wasn't too bad - the lifeboat is right outside, so no view straight down, and one of the supports also partially blocked my view. It wouldn't be my first choice, but as it was that or an inside cabin for me, I thought I'd check it out.

• LPatl changed the title to Alaska on Quantum- is a balcony a must-have?

I have cruised Alaska two times with inside cabins and did not mind at all.  The nice thing is the inside cabin is dark when you want to sleep.  The Virtual cabin was a waste of space.  They did the projection wrong and skimped on the technology.  The balcony is nice to watch the outside but are you the type of stay in your cabin or explore the ship.

I will also be on Quantum in July!! I’ve done Alaska twice with a balcony and would never go there without booking a balcony cabin…period. The views are just amazing and it’s akin to being on a free sightseeing excursion from the comfort of your own room. If you want an extra special treat…get an aft balcony cabin. Alaska is what those cabins are made for in my opinion. Of course you can (and will) have an amazing time with any cabin…but the words balcony and Alaska are just made for each other. 

All things being equal, or near equal, a balcony is great on any cruise.  It's when they aren't near equal...

I've cruised a total of six times to Alaska and two have been in interior cabins.  When the price is right I'd gladly cruise to Alaska in an interior IF it meant saving money that I could put into excursions because excursions are how you really experience Alaska.

The disadvantage of a balcony in Alaska is that you only see one side.  You don't know if there is a pod of Orcas on the other side of the ship as you stare out your balcony window looking at one side of Alaska.  When you have an interior you are motivated be out of your cabin, out and about all over the ship.  You'll hear other passengers say something when they spot something.  You don't get that in a balcony cabin.  When you are out of your cabin in public spaces you can go back and forth checking out both sides of the ship looking for marine life and seeing Alaska from all sides. 

If you only sleep and shower in your cabin then a balcony isn't a huge advantage.  When you pay thousands more for a balcony that is thousands you can't spend on expensive excursions.  

So if a July Alaska cruise in an interior is a good deal and you wouldn't be going to Alaska without that good deal then absolutely cruise Alaska in an interior.  If the price of that interior for a 2023 cruise is the cost a balcony to Alaska in 2024 then maybe it's not such a good deal. 

I've done some expensive but great Alaska excursions like a helicopter to walk on a glacier.  That memory is still with me and every time I have since seen a glacier in the distance I remember what it was like to walk on one.  By saving thousands on cruise fare I could afford that expensive helicopter flight.  I don't remember my cabins from those six Alaska cruises but I sure do remember the memories I made doing excursions off the ship.  

If the price is right, take what you can get.  Its Alaska.  Its a Quantum class ship.

We had a balcony on our June Alaskan sailing and it was great!  We sipped coffee outside, used our binoculars and enjoyed the scenery.  We had breakfast outside. 

Having said that, there were some drawbacks and/or alternatives that we used:

1. You get 5 hours of night-time.  Even with binder clips on the curtains, sunlight started peering through at 4am-ish.  On the same note, it stayed light until 11pm-is and some nights, we wanted to sleep early. 

2.  Even with the balcony and the doors wide open, we often laid in bed and watched the cam views of Alaska on the TV.  Its real time.

3. Most of the time, we were out and about on the ship.  Quantum class ships in Alaska are like the Oasis ships in the Caribbean.  Not as big, but LOTS of things to do, see, eat, etc.  We spent alot of time outside on the top decks and the windjammer watching the scenery.

4. Quantum class ships have a Solarium pool area.  Indoor pool.  Great views, stay warm, watch scenery in hot tub with a cocktail in hand.  Any questions? 

5. Quantum class ships have a Cafe Two70 and theatre.  Again, great views, stay warm, food and drinks (wine bar) are at your fingertips.

6. Kids and the balcony door.  We had our children and they often times forgot to knock before coming back to the room.  When we were on the balcony with the door open and the kids were coming back from the arcade or bumper cars or whatever.....WOOSH wind tunnel!

7. Food and coffee get real cold, real fast when on the balcony.

In the end, we agreed that even without a balcony, it was a fantastic trip.

We have done the Alaska trip twice and both times with a balcony and loved every view and every second we spent out there.   On our last trip in June 2022, the only way to get a cup of coffee before 6 am on the Radiance of the Seas was through room service.  Our coffee was delivered every morning at 5 am and we loved sitting on our balcony enjoying our coffee.  When we first started cruising, we only had inside cabins...Until we booked our first balcony on the Allure of the Seas.  Now we won't cruise unless we have a balcony.

I've done Alaska 3 times. Twice interior and once on a balcony. There's no denying that a balcony is better.

However,  it is frequently 2-3 times the price. I'd rather do 2 or 3 cruises on an interior than one in a balcony. 

In your case, it sounds like balcony isn't even an option.  If that's true, then a cruise on an interior beats no cruise at all.

I'm a "take the interior spend the money saved on some better exursions" vote.  
You really do not spend a lot of time in the cabin.  The only caveat to this would be the age of the kids.  Will you be stuck in the cabin when they are going to bed? In that case a balcony might be just the thing you will need.  If they are old enough to leave alone while you go for a drink on deck then I'd stay with the interior.

As for the which isa  better interior.  I've done the interior with a virtual balcony on Anthem.  I had spent my first week in a balcony cabin and so for the first few days walking into my virtual balcony cabin, out of habit? I would walk to the screen to "look out".  LOL  Ensure your drapes are closed tight in those cabins as the outside light will come in and impact your sleep.  

6 hours ago, twangster said:

All things being equal, or near equal, a balcony is great on any cruise.  It's when they aren't near equal...

I've cruised a total of six times to Alaska and two have been in interior cabins.  When the price is right I'd gladly cruise to Alaska in an interior IF it meant saving money that I could put into excursions because excursions are how you really experience Alaska.

The disadvantage of a balcony in Alaska is that you only see one side.  You don't know if there is a pod of Orcas on the other side of the ship as you stare out your balcony window looking at one side of Alaska.  When you have an interior you are motivated be out of your cabin, out and about all over the ship.  You'll hear other passengers say something when they spot something.  You don't get that in a balcony cabin.  When you are out of your cabin in public spaces you can go back and forth checking out both sides of the ship looking for marine life and seeing Alaska from all sides. 

If you only sleep and shower in your cabin then a balcony isn't a huge advantage.  When you pay thousands more for a balcony that is thousands you can't spend on expensive excursions.  

So if a July Alaska cruise in an interior is a good deal and you wouldn't be going to Alaska without that good deal then absolutely cruise Alaska in an interior.  If the price of that interior for a 2023 cruise is the cost a balcony to Alaska in 2024 then maybe it's not such a good deal. 

I've done some expensive but great Alaska excursions like a helicopter to walk on a glacier.  That memory is still with me and every time I have since seen a glacier in the distance I remember what it was like to walk on one.  By saving thousands on cruise fare I could afford that expensive helicopter flight.  I don't remember my cabins from those six Alaska cruises but I sure do remember the memories I made doing excursions off the ship.  

I remember huge swaths of people going from one side of the ship to the other when a pod was spotted. Definitely not something you get on a balcony. It was so cool!

3 hours ago, Bowen said:

We did a balcony our first time and just booked for next year with an interior. We’re just never in the room so we didn’t see the point. There are so many windows and open areas on the ship that we just kept or binoculars with us and stopped wherever we wanted to spot things.

We like the virtual balcony. Save money for the excursions. 

VB.jpg