St. Maarten suggestions

Wilson

We were looking at: https://www.shoreexcursioneer.com/st-maarten/adults-only-all-inclusive-sonesta-great-bay-beach-day-pass.html

Has anyone been to this resort or that area? All inclusive for $78pp seems like a great deal and site says it's only 10-15 min taxi ride from ship.

Open to any other suggestions for a day in St. Maarten. We just want to have a nice relaxing beach day that is not more than 20-30 minutes from cruise terminal. I have read that traffic can be very bad in the afternoons. We are not interested in ship excursions since they don't offer a full day at the beach. Loungers and umbrellas a must. All inclusive a plus but not a deal breaker as long as food and alcohol is not expensive. We are ok with topless, but not interested in the fully nude or clothing optional beaches.

8 hours ago, Wilson said:

We were looking at: https://www.shoreexcursioneer.com/st-maarten/adults-only-all-inclusive-sonesta-great-bay-beach-day-pass.html

Has anyone been to this resort or that area? All inclusive for $78pp seems like a great deal and site says it's only 10-15 min taxi ride from ship.

Open to any other suggestions for a day in St. Maarten. We just want to have a nice relaxing beach day that is not more than 20-30 minutes from cruise terminal. I have read that traffic can be very bad in the afternoons. We are not interested in ship excursions since they don't offer a full day at the beach. Loungers and umbrellas a must. All inclusive a plus but not a deal breaker as long as food and alcohol is not expensive. We are ok with topless, but not interested in the fully nude or clothing optional beaches.

I'm fairly certain that you can just take a water taxi across to a beach lined with bars and restaurants and stuff? 

That said, I haven't been there. Just going off of what I think.

I didn't actually know there was an all inclusive option at this port. My favorite beach in the Caribbean this far is Orient Beach. Probably a $20 taxi ride there and the same back. You'll find plenty of restaurants and bars and chairs/umbrellas to rent. I suspect tragic won't be as much as a problem coming from that side of the island, but I could be wrong. We always head back early, so we haven't encountered three traffic problems. 

A taxi to Orient Beach isn't very long, about 25 minutes or so.

IIRC, it was about $8/pp for us in '15.  Last year, we took a local tour, which isn't what you're looking for.

The beach at the boardwalk in Phillipsburg could hardly be more convenient, and they're nice, too.  You're also

right there where the shops and restaurants are, so there's that.

Good call on not going to the nude beach; my retinas are still smoking.

5 hours ago, klaconqueso said:

I'm fairly certain that you can just take a water taxi across to a beach lined with bars and restaurants and stuff? 

That said, I haven't been there. Just going off of what I think.

Yes, the beach right in front of town is a viable option.  Plenty of eateries, chairs/umbrellas available, the water taxi of even walking is doable.  

Its a nice beach, with all the infastructure you could want.  crowds would depend on the # of ships.

Be aware though that you do see the ship off to the left, and its not a secluded area so to speak.

as was also stated above, Orient beach is not that far and that would be going easterly from Phillipsburg: the traffic is mostly towards the west and the airport so I doubt you would have issues.