New menus - Able to order more than 1 entree at a time?

new2cruzing

Currently on Grandeur.  I requested 2 main courses on our first night and the waiter didn’t say anything and brought them, both.  The second main was very small for a main course, IMO.  I’m sure there will be lots of different answers to this question on the different ships.  I also feel that this “rule” will become moot with time….but that’s just a guess.

13 hours ago, ScottD said:

We ordered 3 entrees between 2 of us each night with no issues last week 

How filling were the 3 entrees between the two of you? Subjective I know, I can put it away and my wife gets full looking at food. Did you typically eat all three courses? We haven't cruised post new menu and I was always more than satisfied in the MDR. We didn't tend to order more than one entrée unless the waiter suggested it.

8 hours ago, foxrunner said:

How filling were the 3 entrees between the two of you? Subjective I know, I can put it away and my wife gets full looking at food. Did you typically eat all three courses? We haven't cruised post new menu and I was always more than satisfied in the MDR. We didn't tend to order more than one entrée unless the waiter suggested it.

HA! This is me and Mrs Fan.  She goes for the bread, then picks around the appetizer and main course. Skips dessert but wants a cookie or similar sometime later, so we traipse off to the Windjammer in search of cookies later that night. 

I rarely get 2 entrees, but almost always get 2 appetizers.  Escargot (every night) and then something else. Not sure if Escargot will be offered every night with the new menus coming out.

14 minutes ago, FSUFAN said:

HA! This is me and Mrs Fan.  She goes for the bread, then picks around the appetizer and main course. Skips dessert but wants a cookie or similar sometime later, so we traipse off to the Windjammer in search of cookies later that night. 

I rarely get 2 entrees, but almost always get 2 appetizers.  Escargot (every night) and then something else. Not sure if Escargot will be offered every night with the new menus coming out.

I just got off of Wonder w/ the new menu.  Escargot was 3 or 4 nights, but not every night anymore.

8 hours ago, foxrunner said:

It depends on the dishes.  Some of the shrimp dishes were small.  The Mexican enchilada was actually a huge burrito that I ordered as a 2nd main after trying the chili-lime crusted salmon.  I probably only ate 1/4 of the "enchilada".  On a side note, I have heard no one mention that there is an OUTSTANDING Indian dish available on each night.  We did the Indian dish 4 separate times.  The Indian dishes come with an extra plate of fresh baked Indian breads. It felt weird getting Indian on French and Italian nights, but the Indian dishes were the star of every theme nights menu, IMO.

The burrito enchilada thing was probably the only star on Mexican night, it was far bigger than I thought and couldn't finish it. With the exception of the lobster tail, you can still order as much as you want. I normally do multiple apps and one main, but the portions for the new menu were very small. After the second night I ordered two mains and with the exception of Mexican night, they all were very small portions.

I like to order a protein main along with a 2nd entree as a side (e.g. NY steak and Spaghetti Bolognese). Good to know that others aren't experiencing the 1 at a time rule on these recent cruises. Of course, I'll still ask nicely and make sure the servers are tipped appropriately 🙂, they aren't the ones coming up with these new rules.

We were on 10 days ago and the 1 entree at a time rule was strictly enforced. You could get a second once you were done. We did sent one of my husbands entree back, the welcome night fish, and it was quickly replaced. No half portion or protien on the side at dinner. Veggies on the side, multiple appetizers all AOK. Adventure of the seas. Extra salads or veggies mid meal were aok and came quickly. Thats what I did the one night I wasn't crazy about my entree. I do have a pretty detailed thread on what I ate.

On 2/8/2023 at 6:57 AM, foxrunner said:

They were filling enough.... you have the same deal as us... my wife takes three bites, I inhale.  So I usually at my entrée, most of the 2nd one and most of her, lol 

On 2/8/2023 at 10:27 PM, Pattycruise said:

I think it’s hysterical you’re supposed to finish what’s on your plate before you can have a second entree.  I’m having flashbacks to childhood of “finish what’s on your plate”. (We didn’t get seconds though)

Mine was "eat your dinner, there are kids in China who are starving".  To this day, I have no idea how me finishing my plate would help solve world hunger. 🤔 😂

On 2/8/2023 at 2:40 PM, Ampurp85 said:

The burrito enchilada thing was probably the only star on Mexican night, it was far bigger than I thought and couldn't finish it.

On 2/8/2023 at 9:59 PM, Suzanne Elise said:

We were on 10 days ago and the 1 entree at a time rule was strictly enforced.

Past 2 weeks and currently on Allure.

First the enchilada on Mexican night, although huge, was a burrito not an enchilada, so who came up with that for a recipe, guessing they never ate in any Mexican restaurant I have ever been in.  It was good though not what I expected, I will order it again.

One entree at a time was strictly enforced, if you didn't finish the first one you really had to ask for the 2nd one. 

Even for the appetizer, when I have two and the wife has one I usually ask for mine to both be delivered at same time, I was told that was not allowed and waiter was instant that it was one at a time.

1 hour ago, CruiseGus said:

Past 2 weeks and currently on Allure.

First the enchilada on Mexican night, although huge, was a burrito not an enchilada, so who came up with that for a recipe, guessing they never ate in any Mexican restaurant I have ever been in.  It was good though not what I expected, I will order it again.

One entree at a time was strictly enforced, if you didn't finish the first one you really had to ask for the 2nd one. 

Even for the appetizer, when I have two and the wife has one I usually ask for mine to both be delivered at same time, I was told that was not allowed and waiter was instant that it was one at a time.

OK, I'm hung up on "if you didn't finish the first one you really had to ask for the 2nd one".

Lots of times I get something to try and don't like it and go to my 2nd choice.

How big a deal did they make not finishing 1st one?

Just got out of MDR (on Symphony of the Seas) and it was Dress Your Best/Lobster night 

I ordered the steak and the lobster and our server asked if I wanted it brought one after the other or do a "surf and turf" - I picked the later.

BTW they were basically encouraging anyone who selected something other than the lobster to also get a lobster so definitely not an issue with that. They were reminding people about extra charge for second lobster (though my daughter ordered a lobster that my wife then ate as her 2nd and no issues)

Really good meal overall! 

PXL_20230224_010418111.jpg

If we didn't like something they were very quick to replace it. This only happened with one entree. Welcome night fish was awful. We almost set back the lamb shank on bon voyage night. It was truly ugly and tasted really bland.

The were totally fine with multiple starters which we did quite a bit-- I really liked the salad and got that every night.

But our one multiple entree request got a sad look from the waiter and it was a no.

Sides were fine, dessert was fine but entrees were in a different category on Adventure