Auto gratuities

marwest98

18 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

I have no more proof of who here wasn't in the service industry, then you do of who was. But I stand by a major level of online BS being as real here as on any other site.

So you think it's like a coin flip to you over whether people are lying about having a service background?  For what purpose would they lie?  

I actually do have more proof.  I have the words of those who made the claim.  You refute that with the fact that people lie on the internet.  Really odd point of contention, but you feel however you feel about those assertions.

Do you ever wonder if any of these people are even really going on cruises?

5 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

When I tip extra it is either for outstanding service or for uncompensated service (Diamond vouchers). Other than that I may round up. Why? I was rewarded for excellence in my career, and I believe in investing in human capital. It makes life better for everyone. At my age, I realize life is short so I want my discretionary expenses to make a difference. I can't take my bank account with me, so why not treat others as I was treated? Now 40 years ago life was different, money tight, and cruising not a factor. Cruising is a cultural experience, and an extra 15 per day on cash tips isn't worth worrying about.

Not everyone has been rewarded for their job in any way at all ever. Some just work paycheck to paycheck. They don't have extra to give. If you do, good for you. But that is just you.

13 minutes ago, Xaa said:

So you think it's like a coin flip to you over whether people are lying about having a service background?  For what purpose would they lie?  

I actually do have more proof.  I have the words of those who made the claim.  You refute that with the fact that people lie on the internet.  Really odd point of contention, but you feel however you feel those assertions.

Do you ever wonder if any of these people are even really going on cruises?

You personally seem genuine. We have great debates. Please don't take personally. But again lol I do feel the BS is as real here as on any other site. I don't think this place is special enough that the BS artist avoid it. I actually never gave lying about having ever been on a cruise at all any thought. But if you could think of it, then someone else has.

Now, as far as people being rewarded in their careers and passing it on. 

Well...some people work paycheck to paycheck and have never been rewarded for anything. So if you have extra to give great. But thats you. Others may not.

And to those who say if you cannot tip like a freaking Rockefeller, then don't go in the first place. Who the hell are you!

I'll defend free of charge to the death anyone who speaks like that. People who work hard and save and only take maybe one nice trip in a lifetime should stay home because they remove something the cruise lines allows them too. Maybe to tip in cash. (Older folks), maybe to tip more, maybe less. But it sure as he'll isn't your place to say. 

This topic brings out the worst in people. But if you go there, I won't stand by and see people told do it my way or just stay home. 

The question of whether crew can see if guest have removed the daily gratuity was brought up several times in C&A events. I was told they will get a list, that list is updated daily, I am sure. So, whether it's the first day, fifth or last, the crew see it. That does not mean the crew stop doing whatever they were, will and continue to do. It just means that they can see who opts out.  

I think tipping has gotten out of hand. I don't think baristas and cashiers need to be tipped. I have worked waitressing jobs well into my thirties to supplement corporate jobs. I lump in my extra tips with what I save for vacations. It is 100% guilt for me. As at home I cook my food, wash my dishes/clothes/linens, and clean up behind myself. On a ship all of that is done for me so I tip extra. If I could not afford to I won't, I don't judge anyone who doesn't tip extra, I do judge people who remove the gratuity. 

18 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

Now, as far as people being rewarded in their careers and passing it on. 

Well...some people work paycheck to paycheck and have never been rewarded for anything. So if you have extra to give great. But thats you. Others may not.

And to those who say if you cannot tip like a freaking Rockefeller, then don't go in the first place. Who the hell are you!

I'll defend free of charge to the death anyone who speaks like that. People who work hard and save and only take maybe one nice trip in a lifetime should stay home because they remove something the cruise lines allows them too. Maybe to tip in cash. (Older folks), maybe to tip more, maybe less. But it sure as he'll isn't your place to say. 

This topic brings out the worst in people. But if you go there, I won't stand by and see people told do it my way or just stay home. 

I don't agree that it is all or nothing. Nor do I agree with the idea if you cannot do x, y, and z, you can't do A.

It's your money, do with it as you please.

I just don't agree that gratuities should be removed if you are basing it on "I only want to tip those I see." I see it as a punishment to those working hard. I also believe that many of the cruise lines implemented daily grats to make it easier on the pax. A flat rate, without having to figure out what is fair. 

15 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

The question of whether crew can see if guest have removed the daily gratuity was brought up several times in C&A events. I was told they will get a list, that list is updated daily, I am sure. So, whether it's the first day, fifth or last, the crew see it. That does not mean the crew stop doing whatever they were, will and continue to do. It just means that they can see who opts out.  

I think tipping has gotten out of hand. I don't think baristas and cashiers need to be tipped. I have worked waitressing jobs well into my thirties to supplement corporate jobs. I lump in my extra tips with what I save for vacations. It is 100% guilt for me. As at home I cook my food, wash my dishes/clothes/linens, and clean up behind myself. On a ship all of that is done for me so I tip extra. If I could not afford to I won't, I don't judge anyone who doesn't tip extra, I do judge people who remove the gratuity. 

I would encourage thought before judgment. Many of a certain age are use to tipping one on one with the individual who servers them. Some cannot begin to understand any other way of doing this. Some just believe they should only be responsible for tipping those who directly serve and deal with them. Individual choice that has no deliberate negative agenda shouldn't be judged negatively. At least think about it I hope.

14 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I don't agree that it is all or nothing. Nor do I agree with the idea if you cannot do x, y, and z, you can't do A.

It's your money, do with it as you please.

I just don't agree that gratuities should be removed if you are basing it on "I only want to tip those I see." I see it as a punishment to those working hard. I also believe that many of the cruise lines implemented daily grats to make it easier on the pax. A flat rate, without having to figure out what is fair. 

"A punishment"? For those who feal they should only be tipping direct service and not supplementing the crews salary, there point is just. The real person causing a punishment is the cruise lines for making customers responsible for making up the short fall in salary. Then also giving an opt out option. 

15 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

I would encourage thought before judgment. Many of a certain age are use to tipping one on one with the individual who servers them. Some cannot begin to understand any other way of doing this. Some just believe they should only be responsible for tipping those who directly serve and deal with them. Individual choice that has no deliberate negative agenda shouldn't be judged negatively. At least think about it I hope.

You make some correct points but not all judgement is negative. I didn't want to use the term side-eye because most people don't understand it; but that is actually closer to what I meant. It's more of a questioning as to why remove something that is there to make your life easier. I also hate to say it, but it doesn't seem to be people of a certain age that do it the most. 

15 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

"A punishment"? For those who feal they should only be tipping direct service and not supplementing the crews salary, there point is just. The real person causing a punishment is the cruise lines for making customers responsible for making up the short fall in salary. Then also giving an opt out option. 

Yes. The unfortunate thing is the crew see this as a part of their salary, not a supplement, the extra tipping could be considered a supplement. So put yourself in their shoes, that is part of their pay structure. 

15 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

You make some correct points but not all judgement is negative. I didn't want to use the term side-eye because most people don't understand it; but that is actually closer to what I meant. It's more of a questioning as to why remove something that is there to make your life easier. I also hate to say it, but it doesn't seem to be people of a certain age that do it the most. 

Yes. The unfortunate thing is the crew see this as a part of their salary, not a supplement, the extra tipping could be considered a supplement. So put yourself in their shoes, that is part of their pay structure. 

But the person removing it doesn't see it that way. They don't see as part of pay structure and often don't feel it should be. Also, they are legally given the option to not participate in something they feel they have no responsibility for, as they are not the employer. Put yourself in their shoes. 

Again, I've said in past. Arguing a point is part of who I was before my health brought on early retirement. Can't help it. LOL.

And when I see comments like if you can't pay it, don't go. Well.....I don't like seeing people picked on. So I've taken the side with the fewer voices to defend. I don't believe all who remove these do so with intent to just save money. And I do see the argument for why should I make up the wages of those who didn't wait on me as a valid and just argument. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean they don't have a point. 

I think if a person intends to personally tip the staff that make their cruise a better experience then yes it's perfectly fine to have auto gratuities removed. It's not my responsibility to pay someone's wage because a corporation raking in Billions is too cheap to pay the employees properly. I think the concept of tipping got lost a long time ago and now everyone just expects to get one for the bare minimum service. It's gotten so bad that even a place like Subway that has no wait staff expect an 18% tip...

Now I feel for anyone who has to work in the service industry because it sucks quite often and can be difficult to maintain positive attitude at times, and I commend the workers on said Cruise ships for being so friendly and polite while enduring such lifestyle. But everyone has to remember we all have adversities in our lives and for some people a cruise is a once in a lifetime event that took years to save up for and every penny counts.  And no one should be shamed for not paying gratuities and their not being jerks if they don't.  

14 minutes ago, ScottD said:

Don't know..but as mentioned in another comment above..it does happen

Are we talking people who pre paid before boarding vs people who get charged daily?

Also, can they be removed towards the end of the trip? This would make lists meaningless. Up to what point can they be removed? I assume if you had rotten waitstaff all week, removing at end would be an option? Is adjusting amount an option?

My assumption is that a list would show who you have to try harder to please to ensure a cash tip, since any tip is no longer a guarantee?

"In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services onboard and will be able to do so until the morning of their departure."

Directly from Royals website. 

So I guess the list of who is opting out updated daily, really is to say make more effort with these folks to get a cash tip. However, since removal can be put off till morning of departure, I don't really see the point in the list.

Interesting observation about the crew possibly being provided a list of who pre-paid gratuities or not.  I'm not sure why the cruise line would do that.  To encourage better treatment of those who pre-paid, or to work extra hard for those that didn't to try and win them over for a tip at the end?  I would think it would be best to not have crew know and have them operate under the instruction of treat everyone the same.

I had the debate with a friend recently of tipping the dryers at the car wash.  My friend tips at the end if they do a good job drying the car, and his assessment of a good job is basically how well they do with his windows and the windshield.  I tip before they even start, which in my mind will make them think, hey, this guy already took care of me, I better do a good job on his car.  I don't know which practice yields the best results.    

But then again like the luggage porters, their only job is to dry the car, so I shouldn't have to tip at all, lol.    

51 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

My assumption is that a list would show who you have to try harder to please to ensure a cash tip, since any tip is no longer a guarantee?

That's pie in the sky thinking. If they know who is stiffing them, they will do the absolute bare minimum knowing they are most likely getting a minimal tip that they will have to jump through hoops for like a circus freak. I agree there probably are liars on here, I think the people who opt out and say there going to spread it out are the liars. $50 for the stew and $20 for their waitstaff (For the week) - but will play it off like they paid a full share. I agree you do you - Nobody needs to brag about stiffing or over tipping

30 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services onboard and will be able to do so until the morning of their departure."

If you are on this board - now - months before you cruise, how do you know the service won't live up to your expectations? Your talking about it knowing that your not paying the minimum guidelines set forth for a satisfactory cruise. 

39 minutes ago, Phd1003 said:

If you are on this board - now - months before you cruise, how do you know the service won't live up to your expectations? Your talking about it knowing that your not paying the minimum guidelines set forth for a satisfactory cruise. 

First, if your going to quote me, copy the entire text. You left out the entire second half of what I said in that posting. How very convenient for you.

Anyone who doesn't go back and read the original won't know the context of what was said or ultimately the point. 

QUOTE:

"In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services onboard and will be able to do so until the morning of their departure."

So I guess the list of who is opting out updated daily, really is to say make more effort with these folks to get a cash tip. However, since removal can be put off till morning of departure, I don't really see the point in the list.

UNQUOTE:

The point of that was to explore what the purpose of the list does or doesn't do.

And I hope you are talking about the removal quote in general and not addressing me specifically. I was mearly on a quest for my own edification to find out how it works and how it could pertain to this list and the ultimate purpose it serves.

I believe you are wrong in staff doing bare minimum for people they think are stiffing them. Especially early on. It's purpose has to be a motivating tool. The tip dollars while not online are still there to be achieved. In cash. Daily or in envelopes on last night. To stop trying to please on day two because you know someone is off the auto list is shooting yourself in the foot. I believe the list has to be to motivate them to go the extra mile and get some cash out by weeks end. Not to encourage vengeance and mediocre service. Everyone one of the 7 days in a week's cruise is a chance to achieve a tip, why not keep trying.

This is what seems to me to be the most productive theory for the use of the "list". Based on information provided here and common sense. All I was doing was striving to find the motivation behind that "list". I've yet to see another theory that isn't self-destructive to the crew member. Each day is a chance to win over a punter. Never write off someone who still has cash in their pocket.  

20 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

First, if your going to quote me, copy the entire text. You left out the entire second half of what I said in that posting. How very convenient for you.

Anyone who doesn't go back and read the original won't know the context of what was said or ultimately the point. 

QUOTE:

UNQUOTE:

The point of that was to explore what the purpose of the list does or doesn't do.

And I hope you are talking about the removal quote in general and not addressing me specifically. I was mearly on a quest for my own edification to find out how it works and how it could pertain to this list and the ultimate purpose it serves.

I believe you are wrong in staff doing bare minimum for people they think are stiffing them. Especially early on. It's purpose has to be a motivating tool. The tip dollars while not online are still there to be achieved. In cash. Daily or in envelopes on last night. To stop trying to please on day two because you know someone is off the auto list is shooting yourself in the foot. I believe the list has to be to motivate them to go the extra mile and get some cash out by weeks end. Not to encourage vengeance and mediocre service. Everyone one of the 7 days in a week's cruise is a chance to achieve a tip, why not keep trying.

This is what seems to me to be the most productive theory for the use of the "list". Based on information provided here and common sense. All I was doing was striving to find the motivation behind that "list". I've yet to see another theory that isn't self-destructive to the crew member. Each day is a chance to win over a punter. Never write off someone who still has cash in their pocket.  

I was lazy and didnt feel like copying and pasting the verbage from RCL's website. Sorry you took offense to a general statement about anybody reading it.

2 hours ago, RCVirgin22 said:

I think if a person intends to personally tip the staff that make their cruise a better experience then yes it's perfectly fine to have auto gratuities removed. It's not my responsibility to pay someone's wage because a corporation raking in Billions is too cheap to pay the employees properly. I think the concept of tipping got lost a long time ago and now everyone just expects to get one for the bare minimum service. It's gotten so bad that even a place like Subway that has no wait staff expect an 18% tip...

I took my truck in for an oil change this past weekend, when I swiped my credit card there was a prompt for a tip; that was a first. (I declined if you are wondering)

11 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

I took my truck in for an oil change this past weekend, when I swiped my credit card there was a prompt for a tip; that was a first. (I declined if you are wondering)

You don't tip people who do services on your car? I thought that was a given...tip a mechanic, an oil changer, a car wash hand dryer..... 

4 hours ago, ScottD said:

You don't tip people who do services on your car? I thought that was a given...tip a mechanic, an oil changer, a car wash hand dryer..... 

Me either.  I'll tip the guy who dries the car after the wash (and I do it in advance of the effort), but never a mechanic or oil change person..

1 hour ago, Srp431 said:

Furniture delivery and even our account also have requested. I've seen it also requested in smaller retail stores as well. It's out of control. 

Because a furniture delivery SHOULD be tipped! Anyone doing physical labor should be tipped. If you don't want to tip a mechanic or oil change guy, ok I guess, but someone moves furniture in or out of your office or house should be tipped

43 minutes ago, ScottD said:

Because a furniture delivery SHOULD be tipped! Anyone doing physical labor should be tipped. If you don't want to tip a mechanic or oil change guy, ok I guess, but someone moves furniture in or out of your office or house should be tipped

Says you. LOL.

That's what kills me. "You should" do this, "You should" tip that one.

I have one. You should ...not tell other people what to do or who to tip. LOL.

Also, I just love how everyone has rules on who gets tips, who doesn't. And who should and shouldn't.

And everyone cares about service workers, but not retail workers. The double standards are endless. I've done it all and one works as hard as the other. But only some get tips. "They work so hard". Many many work so hard. Do and tip who YOU think you should. You do you. I'll do me. Best way to live life.

We all understand that tips are the primary part of the crew's salary and unfortunately, the cruise lines are the ones who created this situation. Perhaps they should change the gratuity label to a "resort fee" as ALL land-based hotels charge, that would prevent the removal of the fee. The point being, gratuities should be considered a part of your normal cruise fare, just like port charges and taxes.

Any tipping above and beyond should be within one's own means, no one is able to understand or judge another person's financial situation, but the crew shouldn't be the ones penalized either way. 

22 minutes ago, new2cruzing said:

We all understand that tips are the primary part of the crew's salary and unfortunately, the cruise lines are the ones who created this situation. Perhaps they should change the gratuity label to a "resort fee" as ALL land-based hotels charge, that would prevent the removal of the fee. The point being, gratuities should be considered a part of your normal cruise fare, just like port charges and taxes.

Any tipping above and beyond should be within one's own means, no one is able to understand or judge another person's financial situation, but the crew shouldn't be the ones penalized either way. 

No we all don't understand that. Especially first time cruisers. Which apparently make up 50 % of all new bookings. And there are many who don't care. Many who feel paying to make up the difference in crew salary is not there problem.

And your point is "gratuities should be considered a part of your normal cruise fare". It's not. It's listed as gratuity. It's available to be removed as a gratuity. That's not a "point". That's a fact.

Everyone should handle it the way they want. Not the way you think it should be. 

• Matt locked this topic